U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 01:55 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,953,645 times

Advertisements

Sydney also. I like the fact you can almost reliably not have to wear jeans or long pants for around 4-5 months of the year. In weekends from early November until early April I tend to almost always wear shorts and a t-shirt most of the time. Jeans (apart from casual dress Fridays, or heading out into town) go into a sort of long term storage!

I was in Melbourne in Jan this year and recall feeling the biting cold - that would be unheard of in Sydney in January (and usually if the maximum is below par, the diurnal range is small, i.e. the minimum will be high to compensate).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 04:22 AM

7,023 posts, read 9,536,278 times
Sydney, easily.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:06 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,070 posts, read 45,125,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Melbourne has nearly 9 months of the year in winter clothing.
Neither are perfect by any means.
The definition of winter by Australians (and South Americans) amuse me. I would classify Melbourne as having 0 months of the year in winter clothing (maybe 3 months of autumn clothing). Yes, I can see Melbourne has a noticeable cool period while Sydney doesn't. Interestingly, coastal Sydney's summers look identical to Melbourne. Probably more consistent though. Even inland Sydney isn't really too hot. So I'd go with Sydney. From the temperatures of Sydney I'd see little to complain about, except maybe that the summers a bit cloudier than I'd like.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:02 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,302,250 times
Sydney for me. More rain, more warmth, yet ironically fewer extreme heat spells. I'm not sure how I'd like Melbourne's combination of London-style summer with bouts of Death-Valley-style summer.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:51 AM

15,231 posts, read 14,780,676 times
Melbourne - Generally cooler and cloudier.

The heat waves would be annoying, but the variety would be interesting and I would know that cool weather usually isn't far behind.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:02 AM

9,594 posts, read 24,921,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The definition of winter by Australians (and South Americans) amuse me.
I think you are secretly jealous because your winter sucks.
(I know I was, flamin' mad with envy. )

Quote:
I would classify Melbourne as having 0 months of the year in winter clothing (maybe 3 months of autumn clothing). Yes, I can see Melbourne has a noticeable cool period while Sydney doesn't.
I might agree with zero entire months of Northern-European-style winter clothing, but three months of autumn clothing, I would say you are a very hardy soul. You wear shorts and t-shirts at 58 F/14 C when the sun isn't shining?

If autumn clothing means heavy shirts, light jackets, sometimes gloves then I would wear that somewhere like Perth from mid-May to mid-September almost daily. So 4 months. Winter here often has a few brief hours of truely mild weather, but in 24 hrs, it's mostly cold or chilly.

Somewhere like Melbourne, I'd be dressed for "autumn" practically half the year.

Cold winter days, (under 59 F/15 C) I dress as if it was a mild-winter day (38 F/3 C) in Toronto.

Sydney's winter doesn't look much better. With more sunshine, those brief hours of mildness would feel better, but the rest of the time there'd be that same biting-cold. (imagine if it was September, what temps would bite you then )

Quote:
Interestingly, coastal Sydney's summers look identical to Melbourne. Probably more consistent though. Even inland Sydney isn't really too hot. So I'd go with Sydney. From the temperatures of Sydney I'd see little to complain about, except maybe that the summers a bit cloudier than I'd like.
A few summer months in Melbourne are sunnier than Sydney, and drier, with later sunsets, so it's not all bad.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:04 AM

2,789 posts, read 5,634,648 times
+1 for Sydney.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:29 PM

6,794 posts, read 6,316,379 times
Would choose brisbane or perth over both these climates, perth would get the edge because of the less humidity.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:49 PM

500 posts, read 840,196 times
Sydney

I do think Melbourne has a good climate though.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:13 AM

9,594 posts, read 24,921,431 times
I'm forgetting how much lower the variation is between winter and summer...

So I wear "autumn" clothing almost daily here for 4 months,
but this Spring, I still wear autumn clothing almost half the days.
depending on my mood, I could see myself wanting autumn clothing a few times during the summer.

So for Bunbury,
which is only a touch cooler than Sydney overnight
I would want autumn clothing probably 200-250 days a year for evenings.

Melbourne?
I would probably want to wear autumn clothing 300 days a year.

Sydney?
Probably still about 200 days a year,
but that could get knocked back to 150 days a year with a location mostly sheltered from wind and breezes.

I would guess about 200-220 days a year for Perth.

Hot sunshine and big diurnal ranges both affect my temperature acclimatization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or