Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you rate the climate of Portland, OR?
A 10 18.87%
B 10 18.87%
C 17 32.08%
D 15 28.30%
F 1 1.89%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 04:10 AM

775 posts, read 1,168,910 times

Advertisements

C

Winters are about the same or slightly cooler than London but MUCH wetter, with a large number of rainy days.
On the other hand, there is a decent run of warm months from May to September, which are definitely warmer and more reliably dry than London. Sunshine amounts year round are reasonably high, approaching Mediterranean levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 12:10 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,694,712 times
It is more like a comedy routine when I hear people complaining about Portland's overcast, rainy weather. Some of these complaints are so laughable. Think about it this way: rain is just water that you don't even have to shovel. The only possible downsides to rainy weather that I see are getting wet clothes which is not that big a deal and having to drive in the rain.

Portland at least doesn't have these massive blizzards. It is just rain falling from the sky. I don't see what the complaints are but that's just me

Old 11-24-2011, 09:26 PM

135 posts, read 230,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
It is more like a comedy routine when I hear people complaining about Portland's overcast, rainy weather. Some of these complaints are so laughable. Think about it this way: rain is just water that you don't even have to shovel. The only possible downsides to rainy weather that I see are getting wet clothes which is not that big a deal and having to drive in the rain.

Portland at least doesn't have these massive blizzards. It is just rain falling from the sky. I don't see what the complaints are but that's just me
I don't think it's so much the rain as is the overcast. Constant overcast skies and lack of sunshine can have a negative mental impact on people, and it's been researched and proven. Portland doesn't seem to have extreme weather like blizzards which I think would be a plus for many people, but the sunshine totals are very low and for some it could be a tough place.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:39 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
I found when I was there, that it tended to drizzle or rain only lightly, rather than have a good solid rain. It got a bit old after a while.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:08 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,461,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post

Interesting. To me, rain is probably the worst regular weather event that could occur (regular, meaning excepting real natural disasters). I would rather be outside when it's 20F or 100F and dry than anytime it is raining.

- Getting your clothes wet SUCKS. If you are hot, wet clothes will stick to you and you will feel disgusting. If you are cold, wet clothes will make you feel even colder. A lot colder. I'ts especially bad when you won't be home for a while and cannot get a change of clothes. Even worse for your for shoes.
- Most rain-wear SUCKS. I hate having to carry an umbrella. And most water-resistant jackets don't allow your skin to breathe making you sweat underneath.
- Driving in the rain also sucks. It's dangerous, it is hard to see, the wipers are noisy, the windshield gets foggy. It is just annoying all around.

Bottom line: the only good place to be when it's raining is indoors.

PS - Blizzards can be annoying but they can also be fun. Anyway, at least where I am, blizzards occur maybe once or twice a month, if that. In Portland, it probably rains every other day in winter.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:13 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
A little rain isn't going to hurt you. Getting soaked isn't fun, but it would be silly for some drizzle to stop you from going outdoors. Not to mention there's the lush vegetation that comes from it. Much better than a desert.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
A little rain isn't going to hurt you. Getting soaked isn't fun, but it would be silly for some drizzle to stop you from going outdoors. Not to mention there's the lush vegetation that comes from it. Much better than a desert.
Sure, but with the same logic, you could also say that being outside when it's 100F isn't going to hurt you either, as long as you are being smart about it.

And if you stay outdoors for a long enough time, even drizzle can get you soaked.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:29 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
There's a certain kind of drizzle here that gets you soaking wet and just gets into everything..

Old 11-24-2011, 10:42 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Sure, but with the same logic, you could also say that being outside when it's 100F isn't going to hurt you either, as long as you are being smart about it.

And if you stay outdoors for a long enough time, even drizzle can get you soaked.
Depends on the level of physical activity and how long you're outside.

Even when you're playing it safe, you're more likely to face a medical issue in 100 F heat than a drizzly 50 F. I'll take wet feet and clothes over excessive sweating, sunburn, cramps, headaches, and the potential for heat stroke. It would also take much longer to develop a problem in cool damp conditions.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Depends on the level of physical activity and how long you're outside.

Even when you're playing it safe, you're more likely to face a medical issue in 100 F heat than a drizzly 50 F. I'll take wet feet and clothes over excessive sweating, sunburn, cramps, headaches, and the potential for heat stroke. It would also take much longer to develop a problem in cool damp conditions.
2 summers ago I went on a 20 mile bike ride when temps were in the high 90's. It wasn't the most pleasant ride I've done but I still enjoyed it. I had plenty of water with me and I tried to ride on the more shaded streets. Also the act of riding created an automatic breeze which made things a lot better (except when I had to climb uphill).

If you are properly hydrated, wear the right clothes (loose and light colored), and don't forget to apply sunblock, you can avoid most of the symptoms you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather