Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 01:52 AM

9 posts, read 101,808 times

Advertisements

Perhaps I should add, all pools in my local area are heated between 30-32C in all seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Woe is you, 27C water is so difficult to tolerate but you judge those who can't take unheated water?

So you judge anyone that can't take a freezing pool as a wimp but don't want anyone to judge you as a wimp because you can't take swimming in 27C water? Sorry, pot meet kettle. 27C water isn't even that warm...
Our state government recommends the maximum temperature of swimming pools at 28C. Yet all the local indoor pools are heated above 30C. Usually 30-32C in all seasons, even when the day temperature gets over 44C, which it did a few weeks ago.
So YES, when I am unable to swim AT ALL because others NEED to swim in bathwater, I will call them wimps. Before the pools were overheated I didn't care either way.
Swimming fast in water above 30C (i.e. doing REAL exercise) is dangerous, as one cannot dissipate heat from the body and for anyone not 100% fit it can be lethal. Someone died in an open water competition quite recently (plenty of articles online e.g. <http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/10/25/swim.temperature.factors/>)
I have a chronic condition which can affect my heart, and my feet, swimming is the best exercise I can do - or would do - if there were a suitable pool available.
I do not want to deprive others, but why should I pay taxes for a facility I can't use. There should be both swimming pools and leisure pools available and they should be heated accordingly.
I might add that our state has been labelled one of the most OBESE in Australia (Adelaide, Sunday Mail, 23022014, P3). So bath swimming hasn't been very effective, has it!
Those operating these pools should also display a notice about swimming fast in hot water. Otherwise if someone dies, they could be held legally responsible.
Frustrated swimmer

Last edited by Frustrated_01; 02-23-2014 at 02:18 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 02-23-2014, 04:17 AM

2,467 posts, read 2,620,620 times
30ºC air temperature, 18ºC sea temperature

Old 02-23-2014, 11:27 AM

211 posts, read 294,583 times
I swim in Santa Cruz, CA beaches all the time when the water temp is 60 and i find it comfortable During a heatwave its ussually upper 80's to mid 90's there which is also nice. As for a swimming pool water temp should be 70+ and air temp should be 85+

Old 02-23-2014, 11:31 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,687,324 times
Well I hate feeling cold when I come out of water, so the air temperature needs to be higher than the water temperature, which needs to be warm in the first instance. Water, 26-28°C+. Colder than that is awful, I went to a swimming pool in Stockport that was 25°C, nearly died. Air temp: 30°C+.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
So you wouldn't go swimming when it's 34 C outside?

My minimum temp for swimming comfortably out is about 25 C, below that is a bit cool. Water temp above 20 C.
No I wouldn't, because the pool water in the local pools is over 30 C and too hot to swim in. Also the pools are full of people who just want to splash around and that is no time for serious swimming. I used to swim 6.5 km every week. Now I don't swim very often at all.
However, if I were rich and could afford a pool of my own, kept at a more moderate temperature I'd swim every day ...

Old 03-10-2014, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
Well I hate feeling cold when I come out of water, so the air temperature needs to be higher than the water temperature, which needs to be warm in the first instance. Water, 26-28°C+. Colder than that is awful, I went to a swimming pool in Stockport that was 25°C, nearly died. Air temp: 30°C+.
I'm fine with the surroundings being warmed, though there is a limit. That is what they should do, heat the surroundings and keep the water cooler. The recommended maximum water temperature for SWIMMING pools is 28 degrees C. At 30 degrees C plus we get into hydrotherapy pools. It is not healthy to swim at any reasonable pace in water that hot because the body can't lose heat and overheats, also stressing the heart.
There should be at least one SWIMMING pool in each region.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
Pool surrounds can be warm, but not hot. Water above 28 degrees C not a good idea for Swimming. Alright for splashing around - should be a pool for each, heated appropriately.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzan_taborda View Post
30ºC air temperature, 18ºC sea temperature
Sounds good to me

Old 03-10-2014, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinlyftafullest View Post
I swim in Santa Cruz, CA beaches all the time when the water temp is 60 and i find it comfortable During a heatwave its ussually upper 80's to mid 90's there which is also nice. As for a swimming pool water temp should be 70+ and air temp should be 85+
Sounds great. But can't get to a beach, they are all too far away. Not sure I want to meet a shark either. Beach swimming, for me at least, is more for recreation e.g. catching waves. It is easier to swim distance for exercise in a pool, though harder on the bathers I imagine. That way you are fit enough to enjoy the occasional beach swim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather