Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 08:45 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,795,521 times

Advertisements

Much is made of the moderating effect of the Gulf stream, especially when it comes to the climates of North-West Europe, but I'm starting to question if its effect is really that large versus the typical mid-lattitude westerlies that create similar climates in New Zealand, Chile, Canada, etc.

The British Isles and outlying islands are very mild for their lattitude, but they also stick a considerable way out into open ocean without any barriers to the oceanic influence. Likewise, while the oceanic influence carries further inland in Europe than in most comparable places, much of North-West Europe lacks formidable mountain chains ajacent to the coast, and where it does ( for example, Norway ), there is a comparable block of maritime influences, with a continental climate prevailing inland of them ( for example, central and northern Sweden ).

If one, say, put Ireland a five-hundred kilometers out into the Pacific off Canada's west coast, would its climate really be that different?

Comparing mainland west coast cities with mainland versions in Europe, the temperature regimes seem fairly similar:

Ostend - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Le Havre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Versus...

Climate of Vancouver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Much fuss has been made of the Gulf Stream potentially going cold and turning England into Labrador, but as long as the Atlantic and the prevailing westerlies remain intact, it doesn't seem likely, even with cold west coast currents such as the ones that prevail in Chile and Canada. Or maybe I'm wrong...?

It would be interesting to see some talk on this subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 08:55 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,464,547 times
It is not possible for England to be as cold as Labrador (excepting some bizarre Ice Age scenarios). Without Gulf Stream, it might be a couple of degrees cooler but not more than that.

I do think that the impact of Gulf Stream (or the North Atlantic Drift) is stronger farther north. Northern Norway and even Murmansk are noticeably warmer than corresponding coastal areas of Alaska.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:10 AM

Something I notice there is that the north Atlantic between Greenland and Scandinavia is much wider than the Bering straight. I'm not sure if the Aleutians being the peaks of a giant underwater mountain chain has an effect or not in blocking the flow.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:10 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Of course.

Even inland Scandinavia is mild for how far north it is. Sadly though as Mr Marbles pointed out, even without the Gulf Stream, we would still be very mild compared to Canada. But then again, what is to say our maritime climate isn't normal for our latitude, and their climate way too cold? Labrador is of course much colder year round then say the North West Territories of Canada.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
But then again, what is to say our maritime climate isn't normal for our latitude, and their climate way too cold?
I wonder if there is an average temperature for each lattitude? ( i.e. if one averaged out all the climates on that line. )

Old 11-30-2011, 09:36 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times
Dunno why the fuss about Gulf Stream really. When comparing Vancouver or Seattle's climates to same latitude European cities, one can see that its influence over Western Europe's climate isn't that big.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:55 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Dunno why the fuss about Gulf Stream really. When comparing Vancouver or Seattle's climates to same latitude European cities, one can see that its influence over Western Europe's climate isn't that big.
I just thought about that. The interesting thing I just found out is, the ocean waters off the coast of Ireland is only around 13°C. Not exactly warm, but it would help make the air temps around western Europe and the British Isles not plunge below freezing, especially at that latitude.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/karte...0000000001.gif
http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/karte...0000000001.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Of course.

Even inland Scandinavia is mild for how far north it is. Sadly though as Mr Marbles pointed out, even without the Gulf Stream, we would still be very mild compared to Canada. But then again, what is to say our maritime climate isn't normal for our latitude, and their climate way too cold? Labrador is of course much colder year round then say the North West Territories of Canada.
Funny thing is, the waters around Britain are about 13°C currently, but the waters off he coast of Labrador is actually a cold ocean current. So, you could say the real temp would be somewhere between the 2. Britain is warm for its latitude, while Labrador is cold for its latitude. Quebec and Labrador have the lowest treeline in the world, curiously enough and it's due to the Labrador Current.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:58 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
I wonder if there is an average temperature for each lattitude? ( i.e. if one averaged out all the climates on that line. )

I think the global average annual temperature at 50N is something like 4-5C. London's annual average temperature is 11.5C.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:17 AM

690 posts, read 1,202,243 times
Minneapolis, despite being 1000 miles or something further south than Moscow is on average colder during winter.

The gulf streams influence only truly disappears east of the Urals.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:22 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
I think the Gulf Stream must have a significant influence. Otherwise why do Canary Island Date palms grow in downtown London and not in downtown Vancouver which is actually 2 degrees latitude further south. If being on an island is the reason then why don't you see them in downtown Victoria,BC or even Tofino, BC which is also very oceanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather