Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 02:56 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,262,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
We have none of that. We aren't going below freezing. I didn't even realize that a snowstorm was hitting anyone in the east:
I guess this is why it hasn't gotten much attention. Might be a little bigger than that October Storm. Other than that, no real snowstorms.

That's a big temperature contrast there. The weather forecast models predicted a warm inflow for part of the storm, bringing rain mixed with snow. But the forecast changed and it's staying cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 03:15 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,446,285 times
Snow is not anticipated in NYC, nor for central NJ (where my folks are - Union country, much closer to NYC than ILMC). The lowest it is supposed to get tonight is about 38F. Tomorrow it will warm up to mid-40s.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

On Saturday, we're predicted to have a high of 55°F and almost half an inch of rain. Might be enough to remove a foot of snow?

Old 02-29-2012, 09:31 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,170,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Snow is not anticipated in NYC, nor for central NJ (where my folks are - Union country, much closer to NYC than ILMC). The lowest it is supposed to get tonight is about 38F. Tomorrow it will warm up to mid-40s.
I'm in Bergen County during the week. Snowed here earlier today, but changed to rain. Not really sure what happend back home, but there were early dismissals at the schools. My guess is that there was some snow and freezing rain. I'll have to check with someone.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:31 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,368,164 times
Well, 1st of March now, might be a nice idea to start a Spring 2012 thread!

Spring is probably the best season in Buxton, especially April - June. It's the dryest, sunniest time of year and everything is coming to life. Summer tends to be rather disappointing in comparison; wetter and cloudier. I also like the more extremes in weather spring can give us, snow, hail, thunderstorms, cold snaps, heat waves, droughts.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:55 AM

5,580 posts, read 7,973,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Well, 1st of March now, might be a nice idea to start a Spring 2012 thread!
In many locations Spring is a ways off, often not occurring until later this month, April, May, or even June for some spots. In some locations Spring is already underway. That said, in light of the meteorological seasons, and the "turn of the page" that occurs just about everywhere at this time of year, as well as the actual occurrence of Spring in many spots (wouldn't want to contaminate the winter thread ), I move for the creation of a "Spring 2012" topic, perhaps with a March through May qualifier. Something like "Spring 2012 Thread (March-May)".

Quote:
Spring is probably the best season in Buxton, especially April - June. It's the dryest, sunniest time of year and everything is coming to life. Summer tends to be rather disappointing in comparison; wetter and cloudier.
That does seem to be a trend in your region - a dryer/sunnier spring and a wetter/cloudier summer. I consider it sort of curious myself, considering the common conceptions about various seasons (at least in Laurentia). This trend appears in many spots that I'm aware of, perhaps none to the degree that Iceland exhibits. Below are a few examples I quickly looked up:

- In Reykjavik the sunniest time of year is April through July, and the driest period of the year is May through July. There's a sharp spike in sunshine in April, with a peak in May.

- Manchester, England also seems to exhibit this trend, with a duller spike in April, and once again the sunniest month being May. Only their sunny period persists through August/September, whereas in Reykjavik it clouds up earlier.

- London, further to the south, has a sharper spike of sunshine in April, and a peak in May, going down slightly in June. However in London there's a higher peak in July and August, with the "sunny season" lasting April through September (perhaps related more to day length than the others).

So there definitely seems to be a sunny spring/cloudy summer pattern that is very weak to nonexistent in southern England but increases in sharpness as one heads north (or higher in elevation perhaps). Definitely a curiosity .

Old 03-01-2012, 08:06 AM

1,353 posts, read 2,425,307 times
There's a lot of snow on the ground here, considering the below-average snowfall we've seen this winter. We've only had 308", but the current snow depth is 105".

Old 03-01-2012, 10:51 AM

14,302 posts, read 14,552,216 times
Mild here today, this my 5th winter in NE Wisc. and the 1st where there is no snow in my yard on March 1st! Highly unusual! However, just north of Green Bay lots of snow on the ground, 40 mis. NW from here.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:19 AM

Ok, time for snowstorm photos now that the winter has finally cooperated. Snow wasn't big enough to look impressive but still gave a nice coating. Got 5, maybe 6 inches so far, and it's still snowing lightly.

The Roman Catholic church welcomes:

Was happy they did a good job of keeping the sidewalks clear this storm:

Some kids were sledding:

but no kids were using this playground:

Old 03-01-2012, 11:19 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,609,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post

That does seem to be a trend in your region - a dryer/sunnier spring and a wetter/cloudier summer. I consider it sort of curious myself, considering the common conceptions about various seasons (at least in Laurentia). This trend appears in many spots that I'm aware of, perhaps none to the degree that Iceland exhibits. Below are a few examples I quickly looked up:

- In Reykjavik the sunniest time of year is April through July, and the driest period of the year is May through July. There's a sharp spike in sunshine in April, with a peak in May.

- Manchester, England also seems to exhibit this trend, with a duller spike in April, and once again the sunniest month being May. Only their sunny period persists through August/September, whereas in Reykjavik it clouds up earlier.

- London, further to the south, has a sharper spike of sunshine in April, and a peak in May, going down slightly in June. However in London there's a higher peak in July and August, with the "sunny season" lasting April through September (perhaps related more to day length than the others).

So there definitely seems to be a sunny spring/cloudy summer pattern that is very weak to nonexistent in southern England but increases in sharpness as one heads north (or higher in elevation perhaps). Definitely a curiosity .
I think everywhere in Scotland has a May sunshine peak, in percentage terms at least if not always (but usually) in absolute terms. The reason given behind it is that with there being less of a temperature difference between the subtropics and the Arctic than in autumn/winter, but the seas still relatively cold, the Atlantic lows that usually bring fronts and cloud to the area are less active, hence more opportunity for weather to come from a more favourable direction. SE England doesn't get affected as much as the north and west by those lows anyway (and it's closer to any high which might build over the continent in summer to give us more settled weather) so the overall impact on sunshine totals by those lows being absent is less. March-May last year was still substantially sunnier than June-August in my location though (even allowing for shorter daylight), but it wasn't a normal year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather