U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 08:14 PM

2,702 posts, read 5,681,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Why are you so "in your face" with your opinion all the time? An opinion is an opinion, it's neither right nor wrong.
Yes, exactly, it's neither right or wrong. But here people have a tendency to consider yours as wrong as soon as it doesn't match their own, especially when they hate summer, and they go with a patronizing tone "Ah, trust me, I live in <insert subtropical city here>, and you don't know how it is really to live in such a climate, because <insert reasons here>". Yes I know, unlike most of you here who try to explain me what a warm climate is, I have lived in a place which never gets below 23°C and has 25°C dewpoints every day of the year, not just for a few months in summer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 08:16 PM

10,670 posts, read 14,440,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
Yes I do. That's precisely the problem. I frequently feel that on this forum, my opinion (and heat lovers' in general) is not respected and that some people try to pass their opinion as universal truths. Have you ever seen me write "Trust me, cold is overrated, you don't know it because you don't live in a temperate country"? What I am tired of is when people are absolutely convinced that hot weather is inherently bad and that if people love it, it's because they haven't experienced it long enough. ("You can't imagine, it's so oppressive, the sun is killing you, it's so humid, dewpoints", blablabla) That's just plainly wrong.
I just wish everyone admitted that other people have other preferences and cope differently with different environments, just like I always perfectly accepted that some people love snow, cold temperatures, and so on, even though it's not my own preference.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:17 PM

16,199 posts, read 9,953,431 times
Quote:
Yes I do. That's precisely the problem. I frequently feel that on this forum, my opinion (and heat lovers' in general) is not respected and that some people try to pass their opinion as universal truths. Have you ever seen me write "Trust me, cold is overrated, you don't know it because you don't live in a temperate country"? What I am tired of is when people are absolutely convinced that hot weather is inherently bad and that if people love it, it's because they haven't experienced it long enough. ("You can't imagine, it's so oppressive, the sun is killing you, it's so humid, dewpoints", blablabla) That's just plainly wrong.
I just wish everyone admitted that other people have other preferences and cope differently with different environments, just like I always perfectly accepted that some people love snow, cold temperatures, and so on, even though it's not my own preference.
Oh boo hoo. And heat lovers don't do the same? , there are heat lovers on here that have pretty much flat out told other people that their opinions are wrong.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:18 PM

10,670 posts, read 14,440,753 times
I for one have never said anything against anyone living in the subarctic.. it's not my preference but each to their own.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Oh boo hoo. And heat lovers don't do the same? , there are heat lovers on here that have pretty much flat out told other people that their opinions are wrong.
I think it is equally stupid when they do so. I'm with you on this one.

What's very interesting however is to learn specific drawbacks of some climates. I'm quite horrified by the bugs on the previous photos is that typical of southeastern US?

I've had some encounters with nasty bugs in very rural areas of deep tropical India during the monsoon season, but nothing comparable.

Never seen that in the countryside of Hong Kong in summer as well, in Malaysia, or Thailand, let alone Singapore where I barely ever saw a bug at all

Old 12-03-2011, 08:27 PM

5,127 posts, read 7,684,689 times
I agree that there's a lot of arrogance in many cases in putting forward notions that are purely subjective - even in some instances using the term "we" as if the person were a self-appointed spokesman for a city, state or nation!

Old 12-03-2011, 09:44 PM

15,322 posts, read 15,663,592 times
Quote:
I don't think vaughanwilliams was insinuating in any way that his opinion was a universal truth.

Clearly many of the posts here are subjective, but I guess we should start adding disclaimers or "IMO" at the end of every post so no one gets their head bit off.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:46 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,470,548 times
Ever since I came to this forum, I always found it interesting that people argue over weather preferences here quite a lot.

I didn't know it could be such a personal issue. It's almost kind of funny to see there being a heat loving "side" and cold loving "side" here, as if it were two blocs arguing something like politics.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:53 AM

4,348 posts, read 6,322,547 times
Quote:
Let me give you my perspective. On any given work day, I can be in a 100' bucket truck, on the steel deck of a tanker ship, standing on a walkway over 100,000 gallons of human waste while setting a 400 horsepower motor, dodging traffic on the busiest road in my county, hooking up emergency power during a tropical storm-stressful, physical work for someone pushing 60 (or anyone). Not complaining about my career choice- I'm highly skilled, in demand and in the event of a Zombie Apocalypse I won't be stuck cleaning latrines or being used as zombie bait ( a joke-see "World War Z").

Am I going to have a different reality of weather consisting of high heat and high humidity for months on end than someone who works in an office? You better believe it-I live it.

Next time you're in Singapore and the heat index is in the 100s, ask yourself if the guy doing the physical labor that helps make society possible enjoys the heat as much as you do.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:07 AM

Yes, and ...? What kind of argument is that ? Shall I reset my weather preferences according to people who are not me and have a different life from mine...?

It's like if I said, next time you're on holiday in a cold country and the temp is in the 10's F, ask yourself if the homeless guy enjoys it as much as you do enjoy your walk in the snow before getting back to the warm comfort of your hotel. I bet he'd take a 23°C Singaporean night in a heartbeat.

How insanely hard is it for you to understand and accept that I have other preferences from yours and that it doesn't result from a lack of knowledge/experience/whatever with heat?

If one day I have to be a farmer in Malaysia maybe I'll change my mind, but given my current life and activities, I've always been much more energetic and productive and warm temps, and, no, before you ask, I don't use air con 24/7, I even seldom use it apart from the occasional very hot early afternoon. I use heating much more in any non-tropical climate, that's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather