Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 10:39 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times

Advertisements

Interesting how one's perspective of weather can change when they work outdoors. My father has been doing physically intense work outdoors for over 25 years. The harsh days of winter can be tough, but he's said summers are far worse. It's one thing to do a couple hours of physical activity or sit inside an un-air conditioned place, but it's another to have to work in it for 10-12 hours a day with maybe one break in between.

I've worked outdoors for a few summers and I'll probably be spending about half my time working outdoors this winter, so it'll be interesting to compare my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 05:06 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Some people do get summer SADD. People in the wintery states complain at the the cold and how we should try living in the cold for 6 months a year (and I did) however they don't realize that some of us live in blistering heat for 10 months a year. We're not talking up north summer. We're talking triple digit summer heat for months on end with 100% humidity and dew points in the 80's +.. Thats HOT, you get that for a month or even a week or two in the summer up north . We get that months and months straight. It becomes oppresive and hinders on your lifestyle when its too hot for your children to go outside and your risk of your newborn getting burned badly or you overheating quickly is always on your mind. This all leads to copious amounts of bugs (pics as proof) also and a lot of bugspray is dangerous to use but necessary to simply send ur children to the playground. Its not all about the beach and pool in some of these states its about making sure you aren't putting yourself and children in danger simply by bringing them outside. It doesn't help that I live less than 15 mins from the Everglades Swamp and have to constantly be on the look out for aggresive snakes and alligators whenever I'm in my yard

This would be a typical bug "sunny summer" season for me in S. Florida

I agree with everything you are saying, to the utmost extreme.
Living near state forests, mangroves etc is even more hazardous, with horrible mosquitoes, sand flies, snakes and the like.
Mosquitoes are no laughing matter, and they also spread diseases like Dengue Fever, Ross River Fever and Bharma Forest Virus.
I also know what it is like to be covered in insect repellent day in, day out.
One has to seriously question whether such chemicals are carcingenic and mutagenic as well.
Fortunately, bigger cities here like the Gold Coast - actually spray for mosquitoes and other bugs.
Smaller cities in the subtropics and tropics though, just like the heat, you just have to grin and bear it.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:59 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,362,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
I agree with everything you are saying, to the utmost extreme.
Living near state forests, mangroves etc is even more hazardous, with horrible mosquitoes, sand flies, snakes and the like.
Mosquitoes are no laughing matter, and they also spread diseases like Dengue Fever, Ross River Fever and Bharma Forest Virus.
I also know what it is like to be covered in insect repellent day in, day out.
One has to seriously question whether such chemicals are carcingenic and mutagenic as well.
Fortunately, bigger cities here like the Gold Coast - actually spray for mosquitoes and other bugs.
Smaller cities in the subtropics and tropics though, just like the heat, you just have to grin and bear it.
To be fair and factual…that is also the case across every single metro in Florida as well

Most cities have insect spraying programs for public areas, condo associations; golf clubs, malls, as well as most homeowners have contracted exterminators who visit monthly. I've lived in suburban/urban tropical south Florida, and insects are something that is a small issue in lifestyle. Ants are really the biggest problem I ran into. If your careful, you can mitigate insects around your home to some degree.

I would be much more worried about this (esp for little children) at the edge of a lake or lagoon in tropical/subtropical climates:

This unfortunate soul got too close to a lake in Florida (from ABC in Tampa):

He lived.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:06 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I also want to point out that in the case of Northern Territory and Nunavut having much higher crime rates than the rest of their respective countries... I think this has more to do with that these places have a higher percentage of their population (80% in Nunavut's case) of Aboriginal population.
At least in this country, many Aboriginal (First Nations) people live in squalor and end up committing crimes due to lack of education and no opportunities...
Definitely weather is not a consideration in this case.
I totally disagree with this comment. The weather does play a big part especially with the onset of the "wet" i.e. humidity and heat increases rapidly over the spring season hence the term "going troppo".

Old 12-06-2011, 04:31 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,260 times
I don’t find it surprising that too much sun drives people insane.
For example in December 2005 when the Cronulla race riots broke out, it was a very hot and humid month (with little rain), as I recall it, and the sunniest ever month on record with 320 hours of sun since records began in 1932.
Many people, since then, have attributed the riots to a combination of too much sun, heat, humidity and alcohol. I most definitely do not want to experience a month like that ever again; a very uncomfortable and awful month with many frayed tempers; there were so many grumpy people around!

Old 12-06-2011, 01:30 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,561,463 times
Well we have 350 hours of sun on average in July in Nice, and this month is the liveliest, has the best mood and is very peaceful in terms of crime People are usually at the beach or relaxing. Nothing like the dark nights of December where you'd better not hang out in some districts.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:49 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,598,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
Well we have 350 hours of sun on average in July in Nice, and this month is the liveliest, has the best mood and is very peaceful in terms of crime People are usually at the beach or relaxing. Nothing like the dark nights of December where you'd better not hang out in some districts.
Yes! There's been far too much anti-sun bias in posts in this forum I think.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:54 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,598,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
I don’t find it surprising that too much sun drives people insane.
For example in December 2005 when the Cronulla race riots broke out, it was a very hot and humid month (with little rain), as I recall it, and the sunniest ever month on record with 320 hours of sun since records began in 1932.
Many people, since then, have attributed the riots to a combination of too much sun, heat, humidity and alcohol. I most definitely do not want to experience a month like that ever again; a very uncomfortable and awful month with many frayed tempers; there were so many grumpy people around!
Given the weather biases of that month, it's highly likely that humidities were lower than average. I seem to recall a certain poster on a more distant forum once claimed the record-breaking day in Sydney in Jan 2006 was humid - it wasn't - in fact the 3pm dewpoint was the lowest for that entire month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather