Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 09:47 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times

Advertisements

In terms of temperature, there isn't a significant difference, but thanks to acclimization, fall can seem cool while spring feels balmy.

I think spring is also cloudier and more volatile than fall. In April we could get severe thunderstorms, snow, 85 F highs, and 40 F highs the same year. October is somewhat more stable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 09:49 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Spring and autumn are quite different here.
Spring = sunny spells and showers, long evenings, relatively big diurnal ranges, sunshine feeling relatively strong, higher chance of frosts/snow.

Autumn = more likely to be overcast, sun with little strength, early sunsets, long periods of rain possible, chance of gales, nights often not much cooler than days, fog possible.
Opposite here.

Spring here tends to get a bit more storms and rain while autumn (especially the first half) tends to have more stable, clear days. For us, September is the best of year for getting clear blue dome skies. Late November, though, is relatively cloudy. Spring also tends to get more fluctuations and active weather, possible thunderstorms and swings between hot and cold weather.

The difference between the two seasons is minor, though is a bit bigger in upstate NY. This autumn didn't get as many clear days as usual.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:13 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times
Well, a part of spring is very similar to autumn here, at least, temperature wise.

April (autumn) haves the same temperature as October (spring) (actually April is slightly warmer).
September (end of winter/spring) haves the same temperature as May (autumn).

But november (spring) is waay hotter than both.

So, yeah, they are similar for a part, but spring end up being way hotter (considering november is very hot and december almost the hottest month of the year here).

If i had to chose, i would chose AUTUMN months over SPRING months. April and May are lovely months with incredible weather, and, the inminence of winter makes it feel colder.
October and september are also lovely, but the inminence of summer makes me uncomfortable.

I also have a feeling that SPRING is SUNNIER (though i dont have data about it, but if i guide myself fot this year spring, its been really a very sunny spring) and autumn cloudier and wetter. I preffer the cloudier and wetter (specially now when it feels like its been sunny/no rain forever). But i dont really know what data says about this.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:28 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Autumn is more settled. Spring is more changeable. Autumn is more gold, brown and red, while spring is very green and yellow

Old 12-06-2011, 10:30 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Not really. Here in south Texas we have almost Summer, Summer and hot like hell, still feels like Summer and Christmas...

Old 12-06-2011, 10:57 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,647,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Opposite here.

Spring here tends to get a bit more storms and rain while autumn (especially the first half) tends to have more stable, clear days. For us, September is the best of year for getting clear blue dome skies. Late November, though, is relatively cloudy. Spring also tends to get more fluctuations and active weather, possible thunderstorms and swings between hot and cold weather.

The difference between the two seasons is minor, though is a bit bigger in upstate NY. This autumn didn't get as many clear days as usual.
Sun totals/percentages for the autumn months here are:
Sept: 138/40%
Oct: 106/36%
Nov: 68/29%

Amuse me, how cloudy is your 'relatively cloudy' late November compared to that? (December here has 48 hours/22%, so late November probably around 25%). The sunniest month here (August) has 44%, yet to me this still doesn't seem an overly cloudy climate

Old 12-06-2011, 11:07 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Sun totals/percentages for the autumn months here are:
Sept: 138/40%
Oct: 106/36%
Nov: 68/29%

Amuse me, how cloudy is your 'relatively cloudy' late November compared to that? (December here has 48 hours/22%, so late November probably around 25%). The sunniest month here (August) has 44%, yet to me this still doesn't seem an overly cloudy climate
It's definitely cloudy. It's below 50%, more cloud than sun!

November is 45%, December 47%. Subtract a couple of percent or two since that weather station records slightly more sunshine than here (maybe 50-100 hours). November is the cloudiest month, September is the sunniest at 62% tied with August. Though there's always the possibility that the US recorders over estimate sunshine.

When I live in upstate NY, November was cloudier. It was something like this:

Sep: 55%
Oct: 49%
Nov: 32%
Dec: 29%

Sometime in late October, it felt like the climate was switched, and a wall of gray was upon us.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:13 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
Spring here seems to feel like a quick transition, especially when winter feels like it's dragging on into March. Late March feels like the late part of winter still lagging behind, and mid to late May the early part of summer rising. Spring, as it trends warmer quickly, and is much closer to peak sunshine means the contrast between the strengthening sun, the final melting of the bits of residual snow patches here and there and the chill of the just-passed winter is large. Autumn seems more like a gradual cool down and darkening, slowly slipping down into the cool temperatures and finally into the depths of winter.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:15 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
Damn, writing that makes me miss spring/summer already!

Old 12-06-2011, 11:38 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,647,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Damn, writing that makes me miss spring/summer already!
I loved the spring we had this year. Not only did we have the daffodils come up in February (not unusual here, but the earliest I personally have ever seen them) and the warmest spring on record with that ridiculously warm April and virtually no rain for two months, but after a winter with 113 hours of sunshine (33% below normal, and the lowest in 40 years) we had 572.3 hours in spring (29% above normal, the most on record as far as I remember). Though, sigh, my expectations might be a bit too high next time round
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather