U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 04:27 AM

9,594 posts, read 26,048,610 times

Advertisements

I've been in Australia since February 2011, so nearly 1 year.

My perspective on annual sunshine hours is different than I had anticipated.
I spent a lot of time around Bunbury from June to December, so I got a fair sampling of their seasonal sunshine patterns.

I don't know what Bunbury's annual sunshine totals are,
but a weather station about 30 km away in Wokalup averaged 7.2 hrs of daily sun.
That's approximately the same as what Sydney, NSW Australia averages.

Impressions:

- 7.2 hrs of annual average sunshine does not feel "sunny", considering how many hours of complete overcast I see in the daytime. I actually find myself annoyed at how cloudy it is here, about 10-20% of daylight hours. Some cloudy hours I don't mind, but that's just my mood. But I still enjoy 70% of daylight hours, whether it's direct sun, filtered sun, or sun blocked by intermittent broken clouds (still bright; blue spaces in between)

- 7 hours of annual daily avg sunshine to me would be a "sunshine neutral" climate

- Perth averaging 8 hrs of annual daily avg sunshine, it still doesn't feel very sunny and I still see more overcast than I'd like to. Perth's sunshine totals feel "good" but certainly not great. Perth to me is a somewhat-sunny climate. I see sunshine slightly more than I'd expect while imagining I'm in a climate that I don't associate with sunshine.

- I think I'd need to see 9+ hours of avg daily sunshine for a climate to feel "great" or "pretty sunny"

- I would probably reserve the term "very sunny" for climates with 10+ hours of daily average sun. I would assume this would only include desert climates.

- 6 hours of daily avg sunshine would as such be pretty crappy for me

- 5 hours or less avg daily sunshine would be total crap (most of Canada )

Am I crazy?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 05:07 AM

1,095 posts, read 2,072,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post

I spent a lot of time around Bunbury from June to December, so I got a fair sampling of their seasonal sunshine patterns.

but a weather station about 30 km away in Wokalup averaged 7.2 hrs of daily sun.

Impressions:

- 7.2 hrs of annual average sunshine does not feel "sunny", considering how many hours of complete overcast I see in the daytime. I actually find myself annoyed at how cloudy it is here, about 10-20% of daylight hours. Some cloudy hours I don't mind, but that's just my mood. But I still enjoy 70% of daylight hours, whether it's direct sun, filtered sun, or sun blocked by intermittent broken clouds (still bright; blue spaces in between)

- 7 hours of annual daily avg sunshine to me would be a "sunshine neutral" climate

- Perth averaging 8 hrs of annual daily avg sunshine, it still doesn't feel very sunny and I still see more overcast than I'd like to. Perth's sunshine totals feel "good" but certainly not great. Perth to me is a somewhat-sunny climate. I see sunshine slightly more than I'd expect while imagining I'm in a climate that I don't associate with sunshine.

- I think I'd need to see 9+ hours of avg daily sunshine for a climate to feel "great" or "pretty sunny"

- I would probably reserve the term "very sunny" for climates with 10+ hours of daily average sun. I would assume this would only include desert climates.

Am I crazy?
I think what we tend to forget are the cloudy hours. Before I came to Sydney, 2,500 hours of sun seemed more than enough, but over the last 12 months (of which we had about 2,400 hours) I realised that is not enough for me as I recall long stretches of grey weather. I guess I just love sunshine too much (or detest grey days).

Another angle is the % of possible sun which as a measure, factors in the cloudiness as a ratio between the two.

"Sunniness" is highly subjective. For me, I harshly only consider a climate sunny if it has at least 2,800 hours on average per year. Anything under around 2,100 hours I consider cloudy.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:11 AM

702 posts, read 1,105,411 times
I dont think you are crazy. Summer feels no more sunny in the UK than winter most the time to me. This despite it being sunnier in real and relative (ie % of possible) terms in summer. Maybe this is because most the sunshine during the summer months occurs in the first couple of hours in the morning and i dont notice it?

In Aus and NZ (at least the more 'temperate' bits) summer sunshine levels seem hardly any better than northern europe, with most the difference being accounted for in winter months. I dont really care that much about sunshine in winter months. Its not warm, so im not really bothered about being out and about anyway.

Looking at pictures of deserts and on streetview, thin/high cloud seems pretty common there too.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:49 AM

5,593 posts, read 7,317,249 times
Although I don't mind sunshine myself (as long as the temperature is below around 60-70 Fahrenheit), excessive sunshine drives me crazy (when it goes on for more than 3-4 days, i.e. long stretches). Around 2400 sunshine hours is about as much as I can take before it becomes too sunny and too annoying to me. I do not have much practical experience (this mainly comes from perusing weather forecasts over the years). 2000-2400 hours to me is quite sunny. Although such a climate is prone to cloudy stretches (which I generally like), it seems sunshine is always around the corner. My dream climate is in this range, as anything from 1200-2400 hours has the mix of sun and clouds that I like.

I would also consider climates that average more than 2400 hours to be very sunny, and more than 3400 to be extremely sunny (as in these places sunshine seems to be nearly perpetual). I might consider climates that average from maybe around 1500 to definitely 2000 hours to be moderate, ranging from a mix leaning towards sunshine to a mix leaning to clouds (at least it seems that way). 1100-1500 hours to me would be sunny enough. I would describe that as mostly cloudy. In the instance of Reykjavik, Iceland, they get plenty of sunshine for my taste, mostly in the summer, and I was surprised how many sunny days they get, considering its reputation for being so dismal. I'm sure that for the sun-lover, it would be dismal, but as far as I'm concerned many of these places' reputations have been exaggerated (Seattle being the foremost victim - although it does rain often there).

So, for me, this is my perspective on sunshine totals:

<1100: Predominately cloudy
1100-1500: Mostly cloudy (sunny enough)
1500-2000: Moderate
2000-2400: Quite sunny (upper limit)
2400-3400: Very sunny
>3400: Extremely sunny

Old 01-10-2012, 10:55 AM

12,609 posts, read 12,333,337 times
Quote:

Impressions:

Am I crazy?
I don't think you are crazy. That is your preference. You're a sun lover.
Since we average around 2500 hrs annually, you would consider my area less than desirable sunshine. And as I said before, people I have met from the midwest, south, west, etc would consider my area somewhat cloudy (from what they tell me) compared to their area. Maybe it all comes down to what you are used too, and or whether or not you really enjoy full sunshine. I can easily live with a day that has a mix of clouds and blue skies thru the day. Day after day of clear skies gets boring.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:19 AM

5,929 posts, read 9,666,813 times
wow really? BA averages 7 hours of sun a day and i feel its a pretty sunny city. Of course more this summer (since november) cause it have been sunnier than ever and it feels like sunshine hot days are endless and it never rains (La Niña is causing a lot of economical loss here in Arg). But on normal conditions, it rains often in BA, but is also a sunny city. So i dont know how you could think 7 hours a day (or around 2550 hours a year) arent sunny. Well, i do, you must really really detest cloudiness .

Old 01-10-2012, 12:33 PM

5,127 posts, read 7,758,700 times
Quote:

Most of Canada? - Wrong in terms of population. A considerable roughly triangular area from well west of Calgary to east of Winnipeg and areas around Toronto are well clear of that level.

Sunniest City in Canada - Current Results

And as I have repeatedly stated about Perth, the record in the Aero area for about 20 years now shows an average of about 8.8 hours/day, and with the changes since the late 70s reducing rainfall in that region it's not likely to decrease much if at all.

From most people's perspectives that would be a lot of sunshine - unimaginable in NZ where the top places get about 6.7-6.8, let alone northern Europe, quite a lot of eastern Asia, Russia and many moist tropical areas. It is also of course a long way above the global average.

I do agree that if you move to increasingly sunny places your expectations will rise (if you like sunshine).

Yours are approaching the desert levels.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:09 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,502,672 times
I think you should head to Aswan! All the things you love - plentiful sunshine and boiling 40C heat!

Old 01-10-2012, 02:11 PM

2,702 posts, read 5,747,290 times
From July to December 2011, so exactly half of 2011, Nice averaged as high as 8.6 sunshine hours a day and it felt reaaaaally sunny ! (Which is great because I am a sun lover).

Even this winter, our two cloudiest months, November and December, both reached almost 200 hours per month which is fairly high when days are around 9 hours long at that time.

January 2012 is very sunny for now as well with 7 hours a day

As I said I am a sun lover, but I tend to crave for sunshine especially when :
-the environment is grey
-days are short
-sun angle is low
-temp is cool

So I would suffer from cloudy skies much more in Moscow in December than in Singapore in April.

By the way, Singapore's 2000 annual sunshine hours definitely felt cloudy but not in a way you would imagine. I can hardly recall a fully overcast day. A typical day would include periods of very bright light and strong sunshine, passing clouds, and shower(s), with thunder or not. So what is frustrating is the quite low number of fully clear days, but conversely you are guaranteed a good dose of bright sunshine every day (mostly in the morning though!).

I suffered from the cloudiness in Lille, that's for sure, especially in November 2010 when were recorded only something like 30 hours.

Oddly enough, from my limited experience in both Paris and Hong Kong (1 year each), Paris felt sunnier than Hong Kong ! although with a totally different distribution - Paris was gloomy in winter while Hong Kong had many very bright and days around Nov-Dec, but Hong Kong is a NIGHTMARE in late winter and spring : this might be because the year when I was in Hong Kong witnessed a few historically gloomy months, including Feb which recorded only 30 hours(when days are around 12 hours long, that's less than 10% possible, that was horrible!) and June, 75...

Old 01-11-2012, 03:56 PM

9,594 posts, read 26,048,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Most of Canada? - Wrong in terms of population. A considerable roughly triangular area from well west of Calgary to east of Winnipeg and areas around Toronto are well clear of that level.

Sunniest City in Canada - Current Results.
Toronto is roughly 5 hrs of sunshine for daily avg.
I would assume anything less than 6 hours falls into my "crap" category.
Toronto is actually pretty good for sunshine compared to most of Canada's land area.
The "Prairies" are only sunnier than Toronto in the southern portion,
where most people in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba live.

Furthermore,
I strongly prefer an hour of sunshine where the sun is at least as warm as body-warmth,
sometimes I prefer smoldering hot sunshine
so Oct-April somewhere like Calgary would also be crappy.

I like to stand in the sun and feel no cooler than body-warmth, like the sun is hugging me.
Standing outside in just a t-shirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather