Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 05:16 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
I could say the same of rainy 40 F weather.

The cold vs. hot arguments that seem to be the bread and butter of this forum nowadays make it sound as though we only have a choice between stifling triple-digit heat and frigid sub-zero cold. There is a middle ground.
I comment on how pleasant temperatures in the 60s are and you still lash out. Who are you kidding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 10:20 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,067,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I comment on how pleasant temperatures in the 60s are and you still lash out. Who are you kidding?
Huh? Not sure what you're referring to here.

But I think 60s are too low for a summer afternoon, hence my frequent frustration during our summer cool spells here.

Certainly 60s are pleasant during winter. My ideal climate would have highs in the mid-to-high 60s during winter.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:10 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,121,762 times
"Good weather" to me is 68F, humid, and sunny, 75F, humid, and partly sunny / mostly cloudy (probably my ideal), or 82F, sunny, and dry (although cooling to near the dewpoint at night so I don't get a dry nose or my skin doesn't chap). This is what I feel to be the perfect conditions for most outdoor activities.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:51 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,413,567 times
Quote:
Exactly, I never see people say they enjoy windy, rainy and cold.

Interestingly though, today it is only 35°F here but sunny with no wind, and it feels a lot warmer than a damp humid 40-45°F day, many of which we've had recently. My nose didn't even run at all! There's definitely truth to the belief that sunny weather at colder temperatures feels much warmer than "mild" cold and damp/humid. I notice it very easily.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:45 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,560,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
I have never heard anyone stand outside in 95 degree, high humidity weather and seriously say "Ooo-what a lovely day". What I do hear (and say) is "Well, let's get this @!&* over with".
I am endlessly astonished by how narrow minded so many of you here are regarding hot weather.

Can you stop denying us the right to have preferences that differ from yours?

FYI, I enjoy that kind of weather and I can name many other posters here who also do. But I guess we're all delusional, sarcastic and/or actually spend our life in AC.

I am sorry for you that your body cannot handle 80°F+ temps, just like I could not possibly run for 1 hour when it's 0°F or camp under the snow unlike some people here who do it and enjoy it.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:52 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
dhdh, many of your fellow warm/heat lovers are usually the ones saying 'you're a freak, you can't like those temperatures!'..

These arguments are silly anyway..

Old 01-13-2012, 03:29 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Exactly, I never see people say they enjoy windy, rainy and cold.
For what it's worth, I love a cold rain with wind to boot, outside of winter (as long as it isn't pouring all the time).

Quote:
Huh? Not sure what you're referring to here.

But I think 60s are too low for a summer afternoon, hence my frequent frustration during our summer cool spells here.

Certainly 60s are pleasant during winter. My ideal climate would have highs in the mid-to-high 60s during winter.
My ideal weather during the "summer months" is in the 60's for highs, but that sort of weather certainly isn't a real summer, which is the one season I care to eliminate. However, I consider the intersection of many heat lover's winters with many cold lover's summers to be quite interesting, as the same weather seems to be preferred at opposite times of the year.

Quote:

The cold vs. hot arguments that seem to be the bread and butter of this forum nowadays make it sound as though we only have a choice between stifling triple-digit heat and frigid sub-zero cold. There is a middle ground.
Of course. Different people have different optima, some of which fall within subzero or triple-digit temperatures (Fahrenheit), and some of which fall around a mild 60 or 70 Fahrenheit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
dhdh, many of your fellow warm/heat lovers are usually the ones saying 'you're a freak, you can't like those temperatures!'..

These arguments are silly anyway..
That is true. It amuses me to read heat lovers complaining about disrespect for their weather preferences at the hands of the cold-oriented when far more disregard for differing preferences comes from heat lovers, directed against cold lovers. Sometimes the very same people disregarding, disrespecting, and attacking preferences for cold weather as unnatural, inhuman, or somehow wrong, are the ones complaining of their preferences being disrespected. There is disrespect on both sides, for instance saying heat lovers don't really love heat because they have air conditioning or can't exercise in heat, but are somehow delusional, and on one forum I saw disparaging heat-lovers as "lizards" (I admit it was refreshing to see some vitriol in the opposite direction). However there seems to be far more disregard for winter people than the other way round. Perhaps because they are not the "in-crowd" when it comes to Western culture, cold lovers seem to have a better grasp of the subjectivity of weather preferences.

However, every participant has the capacity for respect, and everyone's preferences should be respected, as there is no objective rightness when it comes to climate or weather, except as it relates to an individual's own preferences or activities.

We're here to discuss weather and explore our own and each other's preferences, so the hot versus cold arguments are worth having, at least as it relates to rationales for prefering or hating certain weather. This is something of interest and can be a learning experience, but attempting to prove each other "wrong" is fruitless. Many statements made about general people are valid as it relates to observations and anecdotes. For instance, cold rain seems to be quite unpopular is a valid statement, at least as far as my experience is concerned.

But again, we must remember all this is subjective, and this argument we're getting in concerning what "everyone" or "noone" likes or dislikes in weather, having a tinge of an assertion of objectivity, is stupid and will end up being counterproductive and disparaging towards the preferences of all concerned.

Last edited by Patricius Maximus; 01-13-2012 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: Adding material

Old 01-13-2012, 03:39 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,413,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
For what it's worth, I love a cold rain with wind to boot, outside of winter (as long as it isn't pouring all the time).
Consider yourself in a minority. Most people in this country hate that type of weather. Maybe because it's like that 70% of the time.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:52 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Consider yourself in a minority. Most people in this country hate that type of weather. Maybe because it's like that 70% of the time.
I know (although I don't live in your country).

Old 01-13-2012, 04:18 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,223,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
I am endlessly astonished by how narrow minded so many of you here are regarding hot weather.

Can you stop denying us the right to have preferences that differ from yours?

FYI, I enjoy that kind of weather and I can name many other posters here who also do. But I guess we're all delusional, sarcastic and/or actually spend our life in AC.

I am sorry for you that your body cannot handle 80°F+ temps, just like I could not possibly run for 1 hour when it's 0°F or camp under the snow unlike some people here who do it and enjoy it.
I've been able to "handle" Florida summers for the past 40+ years, and no I don't work in an office. Do what I do for a year and we'll see how "lovely" you find 95 degree/high humidity temperatures. I'm no different than the poor guy who does my job in Buffalo N.Y. during their winter. Extreme temperatures on either side of the thermometer suck for those who have to be out in it every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather