Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 12:13 PM

99 posts, read 254,406 times

Advertisements

When people say dry heat feels cooler than warm heat? Is that really true? I mean, no matter how dry it is, anything hotter than 85F feels very hot. I do think humidity makes things worse when it's only mildly hot though. Even 65F can feel muggy and hot if it's humid enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 12:23 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,575,577 times
For absolutely sure humidity makes high tempatures harder to bare. I can take 100F quite well if it's very dry but just try it if the humidity is really high. You can hardly move. When it's dry our persperation dries quickly on the skin and cools us. When it's humid it doesn't and we get all sweaty and damp. YUK. Where I live it's very humid in the summer and most people have air conditioning more for the porpose of drying out the air rather than cooling it.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:28 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,576,766 times
I always imagine a dry heat in Phoenix being far worse then a humid heat in Miami.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:09 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,412,572 times
I prefer humid because it is better for the skin and feels nicer whereas dry heat feels itchy and can cause dry skin and nose bleeds.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:09 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,115,340 times
Humid heat is far far worse. The only way I can describe to any degree of accuracy is that to me dry heat feels like you are under the heat source, that its coming at you. Humid heat envelopes you and is much more intense. Ive been in a high humidity 88 in New Orleans that was worse than any 100 degree day on the west coast. Ive been in a show house/open house in Sacramento on a 90 degree day, with no air conditioning/windows open and it was fine, but here in the DFW area if its 90, the windows are shut and the ac on...

Old 01-10-2012, 06:19 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,150 times
The short answer to the question "is the promotion of dry heat BS" is yes and no for me. However even that does not capture my views on the subject. Dry heat is too often promoted as if the lack of humidity negates the discomfort of the heat. That is bogus. All "heat", dry or humid, is hot, and to me uncomfortable, and for me it also has very deleterious health effects if it is over a certain threshold, for me usually 70 Fahrenheit to trigger mild nausea and headache (although I can push it up to 80 F with acclimatization (but that's it)). For me it takes a temperature usually above 85 or so to really impact my functioning, as opposed to merely having a horrible headache.

But anyway, the bottom line for me is that all heat is uncomfortably hot, but humidity adds a whole new level of misery on top of the heat.

Aside from the unpleasantness of breathing being more difficult, a lot of sweat that doesn't evaporate, the sensation of condensation on eyes, hair, and the like, humidity also intensifies the heat as it relates to its effect on most humans' bodies, and it also eliminates the shelter of the shade. Humidity distributes the heat more efficiently than dry air such that it is still horribly uncomfortable in the shade - no relief is offered, although it usually even worse in direct sunlight (and the sunlight aggravates the sweat, you know the drill). With dry heat, for me, the only "suffering" is the heat itself, and the unpleasant humidity is removed (for me dry conditions are optimal, relative humidity near 20%). Shade and sunlight temperature differences are greater, and the heat in the sun is not distributed over to the relatively cooler shaded areas like it is in humid conditions. So dry heat can be considered, in a way, to be more pleasant then humid heat.

The main catch to that notion is that, although humid heat is worse than dry heat, again, you still have heat both ways, and above a certain level it virtually does not matter if the heat is humid or dry. If the temperature is 90 or 100 Fahrenheit it doesn't matter, as both are intolerable, although the humid 90 F or 100 F will be worse. I would especially like to point out, for instance, if the heat index is 120 Fahrenheit, I don't care if it is dry or humid - it is horrible and for me life-threatening (and for most others quite unpleasant) either way.

In the end, I agree with the originator of this topic - that anything over 85 Fahrenheit feels very hot, regardless of humidity, but at the same time humidity makes it worse. So for me, some notions of dry heat as being somehow comfortable at 90, 100, or 110 is completely bogus, and regardless of what your personal threshold is, keep in mind that low humidity is not a cure-all, and any claims of dry heat being comfortable should be taken cautiously.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:54 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,823,890 times
A muggy 65 degrees can be hell for me, whereas a dry 85 degrees is perfectly comfortable. No thanks, can't do the humidity. Even Seattle's modest amounts of humidity during the summer can really get to me.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
I don't think there's much of a way for 65°F and humid to feel hot. Though, there's a chance if doing lots of physical work that I'll sweat a bit more.

Dry heat is usually nicer, but after a point dry heat can feel worse than humid heat at a lower temperature. Plus, dry heat tend tends to suck the water out of you.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:47 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,576,766 times
Exactly.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:55 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,697,702 times
For me... if I had to choose.. I'd take humid heat over dry heat.. I think above about 90F you really notice the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather