Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 01:59 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,068,226 times

Advertisements

This thread is a mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 02:05 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,598,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
This thread is a mess.
The endless arguments about "hot vs. cold" and the huge variety of perceptions related to that are always a mess, and are getting very repetitive and tedious.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:53 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
Patricius Maximus already answered you, but I just want to point out that you didn't get my point.
I was pointing out your point was silly. Nowhere on earth gets to 85C. So why even bring up that hypothetical? Humans couldn't survive at such temps.

What do you mean by 'but there aren't many inhabited places with avg temps well above 70s F? Average means, I assume? Well many places in the tropics have average temperatures of 80F and above and they're well populated. Nigeria and Brazil are too examples. Civilisation began in Mesopotamia. Baghdad has an annual mean in the 70s and it was one of the biggest cities in the world.

The most densely populated areas tend to have annual means between about 10-25C. There's no bias to 'colder than comfortable temperatures', it also depends on how well adapted the local populace is to the climate. Thinking that Britain is the ideal climate for all humans is very Euro-centric. Africans, Asians and Americans thrive in warm, tropical climates.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:56 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Well, Britain is perfect for human habitation; moderate temperatures year-round, plentiful rainfall, lack of extreme weather

Old 01-14-2012, 05:54 PM

914 posts, read 2,104,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
Then why bring the mortality argument up at all? Basically this discussion is about what type of weather people like and dislike. It's not a life or death issue.
to prove that heat preference is more of a fetish than a comfort thing. If humans are really adapted to heat, then why are they dying in such large numbers. The mortality number shows that the human body is more adapted to dealing with the cold than its opposite.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:55 PM

839 posts, read 3,073,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I was pointing out your point was silly. Nowhere on earth gets to 85C. So why even bring up that hypothetical? Humans couldn't survive at such temps.
Well, bringing up my point serves the purpose of illustrating a thought or an impression that I had, and it's up for debate, just that. And by the way, in my original post I wrote "I know that there may not be places that hot on Earth, but even if there were, it would be unthinkable to inhabit such places", by which I meant to point out the hypothetical situation.

Quote:
What do you mean by 'but there aren't many inhabited places with avg temps well above 70s F? Average means, I assume? Well many places in the tropics have average temperatures of 80F and above and they're well populated. Nigeria and Brazil are too examples. Civilisation began in Mesopotamia. Baghdad has an annual mean in the 70s and it was one of the biggest cities in the world.
Yes, I mean average means. And just because of what you are pointing out, I said "WELL above", not just above. Yes, I know there are places with average means above 70s F, but not as far above as there are places far below that range.

Quote:
The most densely populated areas tend to have annual means between about 10-25C. There's no bias to 'colder than comfortable temperatures', it also depends on how well adapted the local populace is to the climate.
Yes, I know, but that doesn't affect my argument. I'm just saying that there are more inhabited places with means far below the comfortable range than places with means far above the comfortable range.

Quote:
Thinking that Britain is the ideal climate for all humans is very Euro-centric. Africans, Asians and Americans thrive in warm, tropical climates.
Well, I didn't say anything about Britain, nor that it is an ideal climate (it isn't for me, anyway). And I'm not saying anything about Euro-centricity. By the way, ironically, the British and many other Northern Europeans are among the first to promote the idea that tropical weather is paradise. So, in a way, the desire to live in a "tropical paradise" could be thought of as Euro-centric too. But I don't imply that, I'm just saying.

As a last note, I'm just discussing this, but it's not my intention to take it so seriously as if it was a race or something like that. We're just discussing.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:04 PM

914 posts, read 2,104,042 times
there are times when I dread the winter weather just as much and want summer to come back. Like two days a go I got a runny nose and now painful cold sores just popped out. garh....I look so so terrible, can't go anywhere. Nevertheless, I still prefer cold and cloudy conditions year round.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:13 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Conversely I can say whenever we have an unseasonably warm spell with lots of sun here everyone seems in a much better mood, and enjoying outdoors from what I've seen.

Could be because Britain is usually just so cold and cloudy and our warm spells aren't particularly hot, but pleasant.

I remember the unusually warm April weather last year, and how so many people were able to go out and enjoy the weather at the weekends, there were many more people going to the parks and even swimming in the water, playing outdoor games, people having picnics, even sitting with their tops off, loving it. You can't usually do that even in summer most of the time here. A typical drab rainy cold summer's day would see all those aforementioned places empty and people sitting getting fatter in front of the TV.
Where do you live? I don't think our summers are that bad at all, although it depends where you live! I spend a lot of time outside in my job and its certainly not that bad, cloudy yes, but not cold!

Old 01-14-2012, 08:25 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
I actually like summer...

Here! But then, our average high for July and August is something like 73F. Much over that and I start getting cantankerous.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:37 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
Where do you live? I don't think our summers are that bad at all, although it depends where you live! I spend a lot of time outside in my job and its certainly not that bad, cloudy yes, but not cold!
He lives in Buxton which is the coldest town in England I think.

SE England doesn't have bad summers, London averages 14-24 and it's usually dry at that time of year.

In the UK there are usually only a few hundred heat related deaths, but in winter there can be as many as 20-30,000 cold related deaths, despite being one of the warmest European countries at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather