U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-12-2012, 10:06 AM
 
99 posts, read 232,484 times
Reputation: 65

Advertisements

This is just my opinion, of course. If I had your body instead of mine, I might be a heat lover, who knows. But my two cents:

1) I dislike intense sunlight. I find the glare blinding and obnoxious. So basically I'm a vampire.

2) I am of Anglo-Celtic extraction and thus any long term, or even relatively short-term, skin exposure in hot sunny weather causes painful sunburn that lasts days and puts me at risk for cancer.

3) I strongly dislike the difficulty in breathing that comes with hot weather. I prefer breathing cool, crisp air.

4) I hate being sweaty. It is so uncomfortable and gross.

5) I hate being dehydrated. Indoors this isn't a problem, but if you're out at say, a football game and there's no more Gatorade left, it can be.

6) Nothing to me is worse than a warm, stuffy, sleepless night. I'd much rather a cold night where I had warm blankets.

7) Hot sunny weather is boring.

These are just my opinions though, and based on how my body is. Personally, I am baffled at how the media promotes intense heat and sun glare as what 'good weather' is, but it seems like there are actually nearly as many cold weather lovers like me as there are hot weather lovers around. I think cold weather just gets less press.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-12-2012, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Gone
1,011 posts, read 1,184,738 times
Reputation: 3589
I hate summer also
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Leeds, UK
22,256 posts, read 27,046,944 times
Reputation: 8763
I look forward to summer for thunderstorm potential.. that's about it
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
2,688 posts, read 4,587,613 times
Reputation: 1560
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsius View Post
These are just my opinions though, and based on how my body is.
Are you a polar bear? We're all members of the same species here, so we ought to achieve optimal thermal comfort at around the same temp (75 F).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsius View Post
Personally, I am baffled at how the media promotes intense heat and sun glare as what 'good weather' is, but it seems like there are actually nearly as many cold weather lovers like me as there are hot weather lovers around. I think cold weather just gets less press.
Forums such as this one give a false impression of weather preferences. We have many members who feel chilly at anything less than 90 F and others who yearn for never-ending sub-zero temps.

The fact remains that the vast majority of people are most comfortable in the 70s F. This is a simple consequence of human physiology. I don't think the media has any sort of agenda against cold lovers!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
5,929 posts, read 9,643,534 times
Reputation: 4436
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Are you a polar bear? We're all members of the same species here, so we ought to achieve optimal thermal comfort at around the same temp (75 F).


Forums such as this one give a false impression of weather preferences. We have many members who feel chilly at anything less than 90 F and others who yearn for never-ending sub-zero temps.

The fact remains that the vast majority of people are most comfortable in the 70s F. This is a simple consequence of human physiology. I don't think the media has any sort of agenda against cold lovers!

But one thing is to be comfortable at 70f (wich i agree, though im more comfortable in the 60s, but the 70s sounds like the most comfortable range for people) and other is to be comfortable in summer!!! Between last friday and today , in Buenos aires summer temps were around 40c in the day and 30c at night. One night we even had a 34 celsius night: people in the street were walking-slowly, everyone was feeling dizzy, and it was difficult to even breath. I would bet EVERYTHING I HAVE that most people will be uncomburtable at 40c days and 35 c night. Actually, thats why heat alert exist (at least where i live), this temp can cause: dehidratation, dizzyness, and even you can die of it.
And people sometimes forget this, that summer in some places means days one after the other of 30c nights and 40c days and thats also dangerous for the health. Very dangerous i must say.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Leeds, UK
22,256 posts, read 27,046,944 times
Reputation: 8763
Temperatures in the low to mid 70's are perfect for outdoor activities, but the media portray palm trees and tropical beaches.. and tropical beaches are usually very hot and humid and in the 80's and 90's which for me is not comfortable and for most people I know isn't comfortable.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Wellington and North of South
5,127 posts, read 7,737,269 times
Reputation: 2629
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsius View Post
This is just my opinion, of course. If I had your body instead of mine, I might be a heat lover, who knows. But my two cents:

1) I dislike intense sunlight. I find the glare blinding and obnoxious. So basically I'm a vampire.

2) I am of Anglo-Celtic extraction and thus any long term, or even relatively short-term, skin exposure in hot sunny weather causes painful sunburn that lasts days and puts me at risk for cancer.

3) I strongly dislike the difficulty in breathing that comes with hot weather. I prefer breathing cool, crisp air.

4) I hate being sweaty. It is so uncomfortable and gross.

5) I hate being dehydrated. Indoors this isn't a problem, but if you're out at say, a football game and there's no more Gatorade left, it can be.

6) Nothing to me is worse than a warm, stuffy, sleepless night. I'd much rather a cold night where I had warm blankets.

7) Hot sunny weather is boring.

These are just my opinions though, and based on how my body is. Personally, I am baffled at how the media promotes intense heat and sun glare as what 'good weather' is, but it seems like there are actually nearly as many cold weather lovers like me as there are hot weather lovers around. I think cold weather just gets less press.
I disagree completely as far as sunshine is concerned. But I don't need particularly "hot" daytime temperatures to enjoy sunny weather, and prefer nights to be quite cool.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 02:00 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
15,327 posts, read 15,765,854 times
Reputation: 6841
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Are you a polar bear? We're all members of the same species here, so we ought to achieve optimal thermal comfort at around the same temp (75 F).


Forums such as this one give a false impression of weather preferences. We have many members who feel chilly at anything less than 90 F and others who yearn for never-ending sub-zero temps.

The fact remains that the vast majority of people are most comfortable in the 70s F. This is a simple consequence of human physiology. I don't think the media has any sort of agenda against cold lovers!
I don't think the OP is talking about 75 F. They're talking about 80s, 90s and 100s with high humidity and blazing sunshine...something you don't have to deal with on a consistent basis in New Zealand. Based on your logic, we should all live in a place that is 75 F 24/7/365. Then the C-D weather forum would cease to exist!

70s are nice during the summer, but I like seasonal changes. I'm very comfortable and content during the cooler seasons. Myself and many others are very happy when the first whiffs of autumn come and when the first snow falls. I love taking walks, playing tennis, and golf when it's cooler. The cool fresh air is healthier to breath. I sleep much better. It's bliss.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
5,929 posts, read 9,643,534 times
Reputation: 4436
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Temperatures in the low to mid 70's are perfect for outdoor activities, but the media portray palm trees and tropical beaches.. and tropical beaches are usually very hot and humid and in the 80's and 90's which for me is not comfortable and for most people I know isn't comfortable.

Not only uncomfortable but dangerous for the health!

people seem to forget that heat is dangerous for the health and that is recommended to drink gallons of water every second if you dont wanna dehydratate or faint or get dizzy or end up in the hospital with a heat-shock. The extreme heat is VERY dangerous. Plus, it puts you in a bad mood, your head hurts, you cant sleep, and this have a lot of bad consequences in the health, in how people act, in people mood. Heat is overall a nasty, awful thing, objectivly speaking.

UNLESS we are talking about 70s temperatures, wich we all agree is fine ,or New Zeland or oceanic summer temps. If not, summer is awful and dangerous for almost everyone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 02:30 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
15,327 posts, read 15,765,854 times
Reputation: 6841
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Not only uncomfortable but dangerous for the health!

people seem to forget that heat is dangerous for the health and that is recommended to drink gallons of water every second if you dont wanna dehydratate or faint or get dizzy or end up in the hospital with a heat-shock. The extreme heat is VERY dangerous. Plus, it puts you in a bad mood, your head hurts, you cant sleep, and this have a lot of bad consequences in the health, in how people act, in people mood. Heat is overall a nasty, awful thing, objectivly speaking.

UNLESS we are talking about 70s temperatures, wich we all agree is fine ,or New Zeland or oceanic summer temps. If not, summer is awful and dangerous for almost everyone.
Agreed. My quality of life goes down significantly during the summer months. Despite glugging down water or gatorade, I've come close to having heat stroke a few times. It is much more difficult to enjoy the outdoors when it's hot and humid. A few other negatives:

-Lower quality sleep.
-Waking up in the morning soaked in sweat.
-Stepping outside and feeling like someone threw a wet blanket on you.
-Having your clothes soaked in sweat. It especially sucks when you have to wear a suit or dress up.
-Getting into a car that is well over 100 F.
-The risk of burning yourself when you touch the steering well, seat, and any other hot surface in a car or outside.
-Closing up the house for weeks or months at a time (not where I live necessarily, but definitely in hotter climates).
-Walking into your house after not being home all day and feeling like you stepped into an oven.
-Mosquitos
-etc. etc....

No matter how lightly you dress or how much water you drink, these are all issues.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top