Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 09:40 PM

830 posts, read 1,728,721 times

Advertisements

I think winter lovers have a larger tolerable temp range than summer lovers. Of course, this takes into account that you don't have to be outside all the time (i.e. just daily activities, getting to your car, going shopping, go to work, etc). As a winter lover, I'd be perfectly happy from 0 to 70 degrees. But I know a lot of my summer loving friends are only ok from 50 to 95. What about you guys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 09:43 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,527,668 times
I have the lowest temperature tolerance of this forum, sometimes i ve been told my comfortable range is very low and its true. Though lately i ve been thinking that i tolerate cold temperatures more than i thought.
My comfortable range will be between 45f to 80f.

Definetely not a heat lover, but not a cold lover either. Just love temps in the 50s and 60s, wich are winter temps here, so i AM a winter lover (only, BA winter lover, wich is probably not winter for most people).

Old 01-12-2012, 09:45 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
people like deneb7 give automatic F's to anywhere that has a cold winter..

i however will tolerate an extreme hot and humid summer, despite my hatred for such weather, in return for a lovely cold and snowy winter, even if only short lived.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:50 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
I can easily handle temps from 18 to 90. Of course where I live, it never gets that cold, but easily gets over 100 most summer days, and 110+ in the heat of summer. (Las Vegas, NV) At least it's a dry heat, and the winter's are somewhat dry as well.
I really miss living where it rains regularly.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:13 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,068,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
people like deneb7 give automatic F's to anywhere that has a cold winter..

i however will tolerate an extreme hot and humid summer, despite my hatred for such weather, in return for a lovely cold and snowy winter, even if only short lived.
In Deneb's case I think it has more to do with the hardiness (or lack thereof) of various palm species.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:25 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
but i think he would pick somewhere like Unalaska over Montreal for the milder winters, despite nothing being able to grow in Unalaska and plenty being able to grow in Montreal.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:58 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,667,286 times
I'm a summer lover, can withstand all the extremes. Your body adjusts to it, for example, on a october day when the temp is 5c it feels so cold because you are not used to it, but in january it feels so warm you can wear a tshirt. Not like I can't tolerate colds temps, it's I would rather have warmer then the former.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:45 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
but i think he would pick somewhere like Unalaska over Montreal for the milder winters, despite nothing being able to grow in Unalaska and plenty being able to grow in Montreal.
Actually I think Windmill palms could probably grow in Unalaska and not Montreal unprotected year round
FWIW, Unalaska gets about the same amount of snowfall as Montreal gets year round (232.4cm vs. 226.4cm) even if it falls on more days. The amount of frosts is less in Unalaska at 123.7 per year vs. 153.1 in Montreal.. that's almost a months worth of extra frosts per year in Montreal
Not to mention the fact that Montreal is capable of more extreme cold - Record low -37.8°C vs. -22°C for Unalaska.
The warmer summers of Montreal for me are not able to offset this glaring difference in winter... so you are right I choose Unalaska.

Back on topic for this thread... I think I do have a narrow range of temperatures that I enjoy.. between usually about 15-35°C. I absolutely HATE negative temperatures and snow under ANY circumstances... that makes me really depressed.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:20 AM

914 posts, read 2,104,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Actually I think Windmill palms could probably grow in Unalaska and not Montreal unprotected year round
FWIW, Unalaska gets about the same amount of snowfall as Montreal gets year round (232.4cm vs. 226.4cm) even if it falls on more days. The amount of frosts is less in Unalaska at 123.7 per year vs. 153.1 in Montreal.. that's almost a months worth of extra frosts per year in Montreal
Not to mention the fact that Montreal is capable of more extreme cold - Record low -37.8°C vs. -22°C for Unalaska.
The warmer summers of Montreal for me are not able to offset this glaring difference in winter... so you are right I choose Unalaska.

Back on topic for this thread... I think I do have a narrow range of temperatures that I enjoy.. between usually about 15-35°C. I absolutely HATE negative temperatures and snow under ANY circumstances... that makes me really depressed.
Wrong . No trees are capable of growing in Unalaska.The Aleutians are treeless because of high wind and low summer temps. Only grass can grow there, not trees.

Last edited by Kaul; 01-13-2012 at 12:36 AM..

Old 01-13-2012, 01:17 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,068,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
Wrong . No trees are capable of growing in Unalaska.The Aleutians are treeless because of high wind and low summer temps. Only grass can grow there, not trees.
I think you are right. I can't find any photos of trees in Unalaska. It seems to be similar to Campbell Island in this regard. Although it ought to be marginally warm enough in summer to enable tree growth (albeit very slowly) the high winds seem to push it over the edge to proper tundra climate.

I think Montreal is a vastly superior climate to Unalaska. Sunshine hours would be roughly doubled. While Montreal has a brutal winter it's not as though you'd be spending much time outside in either climate. Montreal at least has five months of decent weather -- Unalaska is cold year-round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather