Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2012, 07:09 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,349,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
bullcrap... there has been no instance of 30-31C dewpoints in Brisbane.

Nothing like La Nina to ruin our already short and cold summers. Hope the ***** fades away and BRING NACK EL NINO !!!
I were referring to relative humidity

Doesn't El Nino deliver more cold and wet westerlies to Victoria?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 07:22 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,952,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
I were referring to relative humidity
well, 95-100% RELATIVE humidity at 31C results in a dewpoint of a good 30C.....

Last edited by nei; 07-31-2012 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 07-31-2012, 07:56 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,593,888 times
You made it sound like the humidity was 95% at the same time the temperature was 31C. That never happens in Brisbane.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:17 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,349,980 times
Actually I was talking in terms of body comfort - i.e - humidity relative to my body that is, not the air temperature or dewpoints. I judge humidity by how many sweat beads I produce in minutes, or even seconds, as well as finding it hard to cool down and Brisbane certainly takes the cake.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:25 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,593,888 times
The past summer was the first one I experienced here and only a handful of days were notably humid. Around the 9th Jan it was pretty bad with a high of 37C to go with dew points in the mid 20s.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:31 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times
Quote:
Funnily enough when I visited Brisbane for a week over an Australia Day long weekend a few years ago, a friend mentioned that was the last decent "hot" spell before La Nina set in. Temperatures exceeded 31C daily with around 95 -100% humidity and having the sun beat down strongly made for very uncomfortable conditions indeed. I recall him having three fans going 24/7 inside his apartment and also outside as there was very little wind. Also bear in mind you came here during an exceptionally strong wet and cloudy La Nina period. Brisbane is much more humid than Perth, there simply is no comparing those two cities.
Wouldn't you almost die if the dew points were that high? or at least have a heat stroke.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:48 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,560,260 times
Quote:
Actually I was talking in terms of body comfort - i.e - humidity relative to my body that is, not the air temperature or dewpoints. I judge humidity by how many sweat beads I produce in minutes, or even seconds, as well as finding it hard to cool down and Brisbane certainly takes the cake.
That is indeed a very accurate measurement

Old 07-31-2012, 09:02 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
Quote:
Dew point is a better gauge of your body's comfort in this case, and I'd advise you to use that instead of abusing a meteorological term. If you don't want to use any terminology like dew points or relative humidity perhaps you could just say "humid" or "very humid" or "muggy" instead of confusing the rest of us.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:37 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Dew point is a better gauge of your body's comfort in this case, and I'd advise you to use that instead of abusing a meteorological term. If you don't want to use any terminology like dew points or relative humidity perhaps you could just say "humid" or "very humid" or "muggy" instead of confusing the rest of us.

Since I started taking notice of dew points vs humidity I agree with you completely. Days here with 90's and dew points in the upper 50's to low 60's is much more tolerable than a day like last Saturday with dew points in the low 70's. It was brutal and the sweat poured off of me. Dew point is much more telling about how uncomfortable a temp feels imo.

From USA Today Weather:

Q: Is dew point or relative humidity a better indication of how humid the air feels? My guess is it's relative humidity. Also is there much variation between the dew point temperature from day to day?

A: Dew point is by far the better measurement of how humid the air feels.
This is the case because dew point is a measurement of how much humidity is in the air, no ifs, ands or buts about it. Relative humidity tells you how much humidity is in the air compared with how much can be in the air at the temperature the air happens to be when you measure it. This means that the relative humidity goes down as the temperature goes up even though the amount of water vapor in the air (humidity) remains the same.

USATODAY.com - Weather answers: Dew point vs. relative humidity

Old 07-31-2012, 01:29 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,597,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
well, 95-100% RELATIVE humidity at 31C results in a dewpoint of a good 30C.....
He is just repeating the regular fallacious statements made about very high relative humidities accompanying 30C+ temperatures - I've been hearing them for decades. Accoridng to all such statements, much of the planet is like the Gulf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather