Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 02:16 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,557,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
why do you say 24.4?? Buenos Aires AVERAGE for January (till 1990, so not counting the last 20 years, when its probably hotter) is 20.4/30.4, thats MORE than 25c!!!

I dont know why you kept wanting to say Nice and BA are equally hot when they are not. Not only BA is hotter, i just seen in July thread that avg high in Nice was 27c, where our average for January (equivalent month) was 32 c!!! Thats a completely different story. 2 or 3 or 4celsius, the difference between those cities, can make ALL the differnece. Believe me, i KNOW what im talking about, since i spend all my childhood in Mar del Plata, a city in where the avg high for January is 26c, while the average high for BA is 30c, ONLY 4 CELSIUS MORE! And its like a completely different country! I ve never complaint about the heat in MDP, while BA is a living hell!!!

Plus, Nice haves beaches, and breeze, while BA is a asphalt jungle with NO BEACH NO OCEAN NO RIVER NO LAKE NO NOTHING!!! Only buildings and 13 million people and asphalt and the heat island effect always make the "feels like" above 40c!!! AND NO BREEZE!!

So, not only BA is hotter, but it feels hotter, and Nice is way way more comfortable and it haves a breeze!! Even if they had the same temperature, BA will be far worse in the context on hows the city like, and Nice will be much better. In this case, the difference is HUGE.

Like i always said, if BA were a beach city with ocean to go in or even a lake, it will be a millions time better. In this city, when its above 30c (wich is clearly ALWAYS, for more than 4 months) you cant hide from the heat, you only have the asphalt, the full of people downtown or the subway, in where temps is always 10c higer than outside, so, no, ITS NOT THE SAME. Not the same at all. The summer here is unbearable thats why people runs away of this hellhole in January. EVERYONE HERE, EVEN THE PEOPLE THAT LIKE SUMMER AND HOT WEATHER, HATES BA in the summer. Hate it. Everyone leaves or wanna leave in January. The city becames a hot asphalt jungles full of rats, bugs and roaches. AND HEAT.
You obviously keep distorting what I say (or you merely don't understand it, or interpretate it) and being subjective, agressive and stubborn so I won't bother discussing it further. OK BUENOS AIRES IS LIKE DUBAI FEELS LIKE 40C DAY AND NIGHT AND NOONE CAN STAND ITS HORRIFICALLY BURNING SUMMER now please stop polluting the thread and instead I advise you to read my last post again, in which I carefully and clearly explained what I thought along with data to support it.

To me your summers will always be warmish and it will always make me laugh when you try to prove that 20/30 is insanely hot and insufferable you should go to a city with real hot summers and that will change your mind (Hong Kong, Seville, Kuala Lumpur, Mumbai, Dallas etc. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 02:27 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,573,026 times
If Sophie visited either of those places her hatred for heat would only grow stronger, and it would not change her opinion on how hot BA is. To her, BA feels very hot, and obviously the people she knows feel the same way.

I must say it is very odd how people challenge personal experience on this forum, what do you know about a place you don't even live in and have probably never visited? Get real and grow up.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I must say it is very odd how people challenge personal experience on this forum, what do you know about a place you don't even live in and have probably never visited? Get real and grow up.
I have lived in a place where the dead of winter is warmer than midsummer in Buenos Aires; I have been in temperatures exceeding the aforementioned place's all-time record high and my own hometown, where I've been living for a quarter of century, has summer temps only a touch cooler as explained during my long post which I suggest you read.

Now I'm not the one perpetually exaggerating or USING CAPS LOCK ON A INTERNET FORUM BECAUSE I HAVE ANGER ISSUES; so I might not be the one who most needs to grow up here.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:53 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,410,464 times
I haven't said it for a while probably because it'd provoke a hostile response, but FFS, Sophies posts about how bloody intolerably hot BA is, like the surface of Venus or something, make me want to slit my wrists. It puts any/all of my whines about Buxton's cold well to shame, and I live in one of the universally worst rated climates ever according to when a poll was done on it. We get it, BA is obviously that bad, in your opinion. Now who gives a F?

And if dhdh has been to hotter places and found it fine, that's his opinion.

Last edited by nei; 08-03-2012 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 08-03-2012, 03:57 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,523,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
If Sophie visited either of those places her hatred for heat would only grow stronger, and it would not change her opinion on how hot BA is. To her, BA feels very hot, and obviously the people she knows feel the same way.

Also, people seem to forget how the cities this climate is on affect how you percieve it. I mean, and ive said this million times, if BA had beaches, ocean, breeze, etc, IT WOULDNT BE THAT BAD. But this city is an example of a city not built for the heat. This city haves 13 million people, a lot of asphalt and buildings (the people/km2 is really high) and doesnt even have many green spaces (the green space per people is really low) or public pools. Do you guys understand how that affects how people live the summer??

I do think 20/30 is horribly hot, but if i lived in a place with a 20/30c and an ocean and beaches and breeze i will OBVIOUSLY not suffer it that much!!! Its just common sense.

And not, its not only me and the people i know that hate BA in the summer. Most people do, even the people who likes hot weather. Why is that??? Because this is the worst city in you could spend a summer in, for MANY reasons: No lake, no ocean, no river, no public pools, no a/c in the subway, a lot of people, a lot of asphalt, not enough green spaces. It is basically HELL.

And this is taking aside my personal hate for heat, this city is just not built for such a hot summer, and ANYONE who dare to spend a January here will agree with me.

This isnt as difficult to understand, right? If this city had beaches, or a lake, or a river, or at least A BREEZE, it wouldnt be that bad. You guys all know that temperature itself is not the ONLY way to determine if a place is hot or uncomfortable. BA is not only hot in temperatures, its just not built for summer temperatures. And it doesnt even have a breeze!! or public pools!! Its like you cant go nowhere when tyou wanna cool off!!!! do you understand this?? NOWHERE!!!! It doesnt even have a coast.

Most people that are saying im exxagerated cant even imagine how that feels like!!!!

Old 08-03-2012, 03:59 PM

We got it Sophie.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:59 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,996,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Plus, Nice haves beaches, and breeze, while BA is a asphalt jungle with NO BEACH NO OCEAN NO RIVER NO LAKE NO NOTHING!!! Only buildings and 13 million people and asphalt and the heat island effect always make the "feels like" above 40c!!! AND NO BREEZE!!

So, not only BA is hotter, but it feels hotter, and Nice is way way more comfortable and it haves a breeze!! Even if they had the same temperature, BA will be far worse in the context on hows the city like, and Nice will be much better. In this case, the difference is HUGE.

Like i always said, if BA were a beach city with ocean to go in or even a lake, it will be a millions time better.
That's a rather sensible position. The lack of summer amenities/activities weigh heavily on the human "enjoyment" factor, it doesn't figure into temperature statistics (rightly so, since they're two different beasts).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
I have lived in a place where the dead of winter is warmer than midsummer in Buenos Aires; I have been in temperatures exceeding the aforementioned place's all-time record high and my own hometown, where I've been living for a quarter of century, has summer temps only a touch cooler as explained during my long post which I suggest you read.
According to the statistics I've seen, your post is correct. The conditions in B.A. and Nice are comparable in some respects, but there are many factors, such as hotter highs and the enjoyment factor, that make Buenos Aires worse than Nice from a heat-hater's perspective.

Of course, Buenos Aires's statistics and weather, regardless of how it compares with Nice or anywhere else, are still pretty hot, far too hot for Sophie and myself. Neither of you will convert the other to your own position, and even if you could there wouldn't be any point to it.

Buenos Aires is tolerable for Dhdh but intolerable for Sophie. The sooner both of you understand and appreciate that the better off everyone will be.

Quote:
Now I'm not the one perpetually exaggerating or USING CAPS LOCK ON A INTERNET FORUM BECAUSE I HAVE ANGER ISSUES; so I might not be the one who most needs to grow up here.
The caps were used as a highlighting mechanism and/or to express strong emotion, so they were appropriate, though that doesn't necessarily disprove your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
I haven't said it for a while probably because it'd provoke a hostile response, but FFS, Sophies posts about how bloody intolerably hot BA is, like the surface of Venus or something, make me want to slit my wrists.
If you're tempted to slit your wrists over something like that, you need to cultivate a thicker skin. I don't care what your opinions are: to be that affected by other people's opinions is a nigh-fatal weakness in personality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I judge indoor comfort level of weather by non-heat trapping houses. Or at least, ones well ventalited enough that open windows will allow the house to be near room temperature, maybe a couple degrees warmer.
Most of the houses I've been in were heat-trappers (I can't speak for many areas but that's my experience). I prefer to judge indoor comfort by a "reality-based" system. It may sound offensive, but a situation where you have to have the windows and doors open to keep the room from getting too warm, like would arise with your sort of judgment of comfort, doesn't strike me as optimal. I'd like to have comfort (not too hot, not too cold) with an open house being optional, not necessary.

I am pleased, though, that even with your analysis based on an open and non-heat-trapping house that 9/20C passes muster.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post

If you're tempted to slit your wrists over something like that, you need to cultivate a thicker skin. I don't care what your opinions are: to be that affected by other people's opinions is a nigh-fatal weakness in personality.

LOL. It's an expression that's used a lot in this country when somebody has had enough of something. More fool you if you really thought I'd do that in real life because of something I've read on a forum. I'd be dead many times over if that was going to be the case.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:03 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,523,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
I haven't said it for a while probably because it'd provoke a hostile response, but FFS, Sophies posts about how bloody intolerably hot BA is, like the surface of Venus or something, make me want to slit my wrists. It puts any/all of my whines about Buxton's cold well to shame, and I live in one of the universally worst rated climates ever according to when a poll was done on it. We get it, BA is obviously that bad, in your opinion. Now who gives a F?

And if dhdh has been to hotter places and found it fine, that's his opinion.

You are always being so nice to me, even when i said a million teams i understood your hatred for Buxton and how i felt bad for you and ALWAYS been the nicest to you, probably too nice but oh well. I guess when someones just rude, thats the way it is. I also found you hilarious and said nice things to you many times. I wonder how bitter a person has to be to always be so rude and awful to people that are treating them nice.

I find it funny you are talking about BA summers, when your Buxton summer doesnt even reach 20c!!!! Seriously, if you dared to spend a January and a February here with temps always above 30c, nights above 25c, and not place to cool down EVER, obviously you wouldnt be saying it is "warm".

I cant believe you dare to talk about BA "warmness" when you live in Buxton, seriously. In the "cold and cloudy" thread I said i couldnt really say anything about that type of weather cause i almost never had to deal with it, and it will be funny for me to "complaint" about cold and cloudy, when i barely get that in winter. And i also said that if i lived in Buxton, i will probably complain as you do.

But clearly you are nasty and will keep being that way no matter what i say.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:05 PM

Oh damn I will have to get out my violin again. I haven't lived in Buxton all my life and I've had experience of hot summer climates so don't you start going on about what I've experienced or not. Anyway I do not care to sink to your boring level of whining this much and trying to convince everyone how hellish BA's summer is. I don't give two craps. Oh and I'm a nasty person because of a disagreement in something trivial like this on the internet. Get a grip on reality and don't be so damn judgmental. I'm sure my loved ones and the people at the charity I volunteered for think I'm a nasty person you idiot.

PS Buxton gets above 20°C loads so you don't know what you're on about anyway. Not that it matters, I've experienced far far hotter weather and loved it. So there child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather