Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2015, 09:18 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,927,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR1138769 View Post
35C/95F with 90% humidity means 33C/92F dewpoint!!! and 64C/147F heat index!!! Never happened in Australia's recorded history.
I know. But heaps of people think it's like that every summer. Including people who live there.

I hope they experience it once just so they will stop with that nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 10:08 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,315,526 times
^^ Usually people who say those type of things have absolutely zero knowledge about weather/climate, they base their observations on what they "feel" instead of actual data (which is readily available anywhere on the internet). We get the same people here in the US, who insist that their summers are 38 C with 100% humidity every day.

I'll never understand why people choose to talk about topics that they have no idea about. It's easier to shut up and not say anything and not risk having someone who knows more than you make you look stupid.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:16 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,204,802 times
It's turned into a figure of speech, just another form of seeing "omg it's hot". What's worse is when someone actually looks it up the numbers, seeing the max relative humidity % and max temperature and combines two. For example, in the summer often every day reaches 100% humidity (dry or humid), but that's at sunrise:

Weather History for Chicopee, MA | Weather Underground

more common is people looking at the average relative humidity %. Even that is dumb. July 14 from that month had a high of 91°F, low of 71°F, average relative humidity was 90%. So 90°F and 90% humidity! But when it 91°F the relative humidity was 53%, still uncomfortable, but not horribly so.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:38 AM

3,026 posts, read 3,623,012 times
Relative humidity is useless most of the time, especially when talking about the morning. The average 6 am humidity here is over 90%, and I live in a semi-arid location. By afternoon it can be as low as 10% on extreme occasions. When I tell non-weather people here that the relative humidity was 99% this morning, they just shake their head, and exclaim that it is extremely dry right now with close to 0% humidity.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It's turned into a figure of speech, just another form of seeing "omg it's hot". What's worse is when someone actually looks it up the numbers, seeing the max relative humidity % and max temperature and combines two. For example, in the summer often every day reaches 100% humidity (dry or humid), but that's at sunrise:

Weather History for Chicopee, MA | Weather Underground

more common is people looking at the average relative humidity %. Even that is dumb. July 14 from that month had a high of 91°F, low of 71°F, average relative humidity was 90%. So 90°F and 90% humidity! But when it 91°F the relative humidity was 53%, still uncomfortable, but not horribly so.
I see all the time on the Phoenix forum ex-East Coasters who use that as an excuse to try and say that summers in Phoenix are more comfortable than summers in say, NYC

I once saw a guy who used 104 F with 5% humidity compared to 95 F with 80% humidity to prove that Phoenix was more comfortable in Summer than Minneapolis.

Do people just pull out numbers from their ass? Or is this a coping mechanism after they realize how miserable summers are in Phoenix?

I don't think people realize that DPs above body temperature would kill you. Even a 93 F DP would likely kill you.

I don't understand how people think that the humidity % is the same during the middle of the afternoon when the sun is beaming down on you and everything is dried out, than in the morning when the sun is low and there's dew on everything.

Seems like common sense to me.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
Relative humidity is useless most of the time, especially when talking about the morning. The average 6 am humidity here is over 90%, and I live in a semi-arid location. By afternoon it can be as low as 10% on extreme occasions. When I tell non-weather people here that the relative humidity was 99% this morning, they just shake their head, and exclaim that it is extremely dry right now with close to 0% humidity.
I don't think RH is useless, as it does let you know how saturated the air is. 55 F with a 55 F dew point is quite different from 95 F with a 55 F dew point.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:33 PM

130 posts, read 124,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
I know. But heaps of people think it's like that every summer. Including people who live there.

I hope they experience it once just so they will stop with that nonsense.
Hello jgtheone!

3 questin to you sir!

1. does Melbourne REALLY HAS FROST??? if so how many days in the aprile to october????
2. maybe you has been in ROME,italy in summer months (specially july and augusty), are the feelings in air like a SUMMER MELBOURNE day or Melborune is more warmer??
why i take ROME is becouse I has been there in july/aug!

3. it that true that MELBROUNE IN SUMMER, the weather has a high/enormous temp-change in one day????

Old 04-14-2015, 05:33 PM

824 posts, read 685,701 times
In the U.S. it's especially funny, as people tend to stereotype the other areas. There are three main ones.

According to Southerners the North is a snowy cold place for every time of the year but summer, when it's perfect.

Expectation: Anchorage, Alaska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reality: New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Northeners aren't innocent either, they believe the south is perfect during the winter, and a hot, humid tropical nightmare during the summer. (They're half right in a way)

Expectation: Orlando, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reality: Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Everyone in the East seems to have the idea that L.A. is tropical but dry, while Seattle is rainy and cool.

Expectation (LA): Torreón - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reality: Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Expectation (Seattle):Juneau, Alaska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reality: Seattle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-14-2015, 06:30 PM

750 posts, read 737,001 times
No one from anywhere besides the northwest knows what a northwestern summer is like. They accurately depict our winters as incessantly cold and wet (although they think pouring when the reality is closer to drizzling), but they have no idea what our summers are like.

1. It is VERY dry. Maybe a couple days of rain per month and that's less common recently. Hardly any thunderstorms ever.
2. It's cooler than pretty much any east coast city. Especially mornings. Most summer days you still need a jacket if you get up early.
3. Having said that, it can get quite hot during our two or three heat waves. Portland is much more likely to break 100 than New York City despite being cooler overall. I've got a feeling Australians will understand what I mean.
4. June is NOT summer. But September is.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:19 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,623,012 times
Annoying media misconceptions... Cliff Mass Weather Blog: Media Miscommunication about the Blob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather