Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 02:15 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Bees are out if it's over 45??? They must be out most days here then. Love those photos, looks very green. Only difference from a pine forest here and that one is composition.

Loblolly pine here, with lots of holly, wax myrtles, and a few other species. Also looks a lot more sparse than here. Other than that looks very subtropical if you ask me! That scene would not be out of place anywhere in the south.

Loblolly doesn't grow here. Too cold. Same for Longleaf. The one plant native in our region missing from the Pine Barrens oddly enough is Rhodo maximum. Another fav of mine. It is not native in the coastal plain and likes uplands or mountain areas. What is weird is that when I hike in city parks in Philly it is there in the woods, but not over the bridge in New Jersey. It is very prolific in the forests of Pennsylvania. Doesn't like sandy soil I guess.

I have to say, but I never realized how many broadleaf evergreens native to here do not extend much further north or into Canada. Canada wooded areas must look very bleak in winter outside of pine trees.

How can you not love this baby in the woods in the Spring: http://plants.countylinenursery.net/...os/F633-16.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhododendron_maximum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Best scenery in England is in the Lake District, without a doubt.

I like the scenery between Leeds and York as well simply because it is quintessential of England. It screams 'home' to me. I rag on my country of birth a lot but in the middle of summer when the sun is shining and there is a gentle breeze, there are few places I'd rather be.

Now I wish it was July.

Beautiful!!!

Old 03-05-2017, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ral31 View Post
Did you do any travelling in Louisiana?

New Orleans in April of 2014. I looked across the river in Vicksburg and Natchez at LA. Very deciduous if you ask me. Looked like PA in winter. What I have been told is that is due to quick growing deciduous taking over the forest after clearing by early settlers. Looks like LA doesn't have as much of the native LL pine forests like AL, GA or MS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinus_palustris

Old 03-05-2017, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
Really? These are just places within 15 miles of my house.

Yorkshire Dales and North York Moors etc...

The Lake District and Cumbria is even more beautiful, but I think Yorkshire is more diverse, and certainly on a completely different level to SE England.
I think some of the countryside immediate to York is similar to SE England. Similar rainfall amounts and sunshine give it a drier look than other parts of Yorkshire.

Very nice and brings back memories of my train ride from London to Manchester in May one year. Countryside of England can't be beat imo.

Old 03-05-2017, 04:35 AM

3,600 posts, read 2,692,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
Here my dream vegetation,Patagonia offer one of the mosts beautiful landscape on the world, with snowcapped mountains and great deciduous forest, different from everywhere.
Snowcapped mountains and deciduous forest are a common sight in Norway too. This is from the far north of Norway in summer:

Also a lot of wild flowers in that forest:

However, the mountain ranges of Mid-Norway /Central Norway is certainly among my favorites.
This lake is at 700 m asl, mountain Okla 1580 m / 5182 ft

Also flower there. This is at ca 900 m asl in Central Norway:

Also some colours on the alpine tundra, but the season withouth snow is very short, a few months. This is at 1250 m asl, so almost as high as Ben Nevis in UK. The mountain in the background is Snøhetta, 2286 m/ 7500 ft

Old 03-05-2017, 05:13 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Loblolly doesn't grow here. Too cold. Same for Longleaf. The one plant native in our region missing from the Pine Barrens oddly enough is Rhodo maximum. Another fav of mine. It is not native in the coastal plain and likes uplands or mountain areas. What is weird is that when I hike in city parks in Philly it is there in the woods, but not over the bridge in New Jersey. It is very prolific in the forests of Pennsylvania. Doesn't like sandy soil I guess.

I have to say, but I never realized how many broadleaf evergreens native to here do not extend much further north or into Canada. Canada wooded areas must look very bleak in winter outside of pine trees.

How can you not love this baby in the woods in the Spring: http://plants.countylinenursery.net/...os/F633-16.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhododendron_maximum
I thought Loblolly's native range included South Jersey?

Shortleaf's range stops here, but they aren't all that common, I see them a lot in NJ though.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:23 AM

808 posts, read 711,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
If you like countryside, then you really can't beat Yorkshire for scenery. No we don't have dramatic snow capped mountains, but we do have beautiful English countryside.
There's some lovely scenery all over the UK if I'm being honest, but generally it's prettier in the mid-northern counties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Best scenery in England is in the Lake District, without a doubt.

I like the scenery between Leeds and York as well simply because it is quintessential of England. It screams 'home' to me. I rag on my country of birth a lot but in the middle of summer when the sun is shining and there is a gentle breeze, there are few places I'd rather be.

Now I wish it was July.
The UK does indeed have some very beautiful scenery. Definitely one of my favorites.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:28 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times

Both pics are from Bosnia.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:12 AM

5,039 posts, read 4,353,919 times
Quote:
New Orleans in April of 2014. I looked across the river in Vicksburg and Natchez at LA. Very deciduous if you ask me. Looked like PA in winter. What I have been told is that is due to quick growing deciduous taking over the forest after clearing by early settlers. Looks like LA doesn't have as much of the native LL pine forests like AL, GA or MS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinus_palustris
Louisiana has areas of widespread alluvial plain, which is more deciduous.

Natchez is about 65 miles from Alexandria. Louisiana across the MS River from Natchez is alluvial plain. Alexandria is in the alluvial plain of the Red River.

Hilly areas in central and north LA usually seem pine-dominated. It looks very similar to the highway you posted in central MS. Kisatchie National Forest has large areas of longleaf. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kisatchie_National_Forest

Here are some pics I posted before in Kisatchie. //www.city-data.com/forum/35250523-post111.html

Old 03-05-2017, 07:50 AM

5,738 posts, read 3,513,858 times
Quote:
Any windless days here in winter with a temp over 45F and bees come out of the hives. I know at least three beekeepers here and all said the same thing. But for the most part insects are not active except in the more wooded rural areas. I took a hike thru a cedar and pine forest in the NJ Pine Barrens a couple weeks ago and there were some small insects and the ticks were also active.

Here are some pics from my hike in mid Feb in the NJ Pine Barrens. The native plants you see here like the pitch pine and southern white pine, Kalmia latifolia, Magnolia virginiana, and Atlantic White Cedar are not native north of NY state. I'm sure they can grow in Canada, but they wouldn't be out in the native wooded areas. The Inkberry is native up into Nova Scotia along the coastal plain. I was hoping to see some Christmas Ferns but didn't venture far enough into the swampy areas to see it.

Our native Kalmia latifolia is everywhere under the pines in the areas without standing water

This was forest of the native Atlantic White Cedar. Another fav tree of mine. They grow in very wet areas. There were small puddles around the bottoms of the trees, and this is also where another native Magnolia Virginiana grows. This forest looks almost the same as it did last summer when I last walked thru here. It was about 90F in summer, but much cooler in this part of the Pine Barrens.

Lots of Magnolia virginiana found beneath the cedar trees in the swampy areas.

Native Inkberry grows wild in many areas also. Saw it surrounding a lake.

Inkberry

Those are great pictures. I know it was a warm February but still very lush looking for winter regardless.

Anyone who thinks the New York-New Jersey area should be lumped into the same continental climate zone as Edmonton needs to have their head examined while viewing those photos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather