Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the climate
A 0 0%
B 16 42.11%
C 15 39.47%
D 7 18.42%
F 0 0%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 04:10 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,317,824 times

Advertisements

The thread about Block Island prompted to think of what would be a warm summer version of a temperate oceanic climate (Do) like Seattle, Vancouver, and London…etc. The most negative aspects of oceanic climates that I hear the most complaints about are summers are too cool, winters are too cloudy, and sun hrs are too low annually. So I thought about matching a proper hot and sunny summer, with some sultury weather to get in the summer mode….with the semi-mild aspects of winters in oceanic climates (fewer frosts/ modest snowfall/cool but not cold winters), with more sun hrs in winter and annually. Summer however, should only be modestly warm (few days of 90 F or higher), and not too long.

Cape Hatteras comes to mind; The Island is about 30 miles out to sea off the North Carolina coast. The cold season average highs are in the 50’s F (10 – 14 C) lows are in the upper 30’s (3 – 4 C)….there is a true hot season with 4 months that have average highs at least in the 80’s (26 - 31 C)…rainfall is ample, snow is rare, 90 F days are few, there are normally less than 15 days with frost in Cape Hatteras (this year there has been only 2)…and most important sun hrs are about 2800.

Cape Hatteras - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I give it a B. Although I'm a warm weather fan, and would like another month or two of 80 F average highs, the mildness of winters, lack of snow, and sun hrs somwhat make up for it. It is not 12 months of summer like Miami, there is some change of seasons, but the oceanic location keeps the changes modest.

Last edited by wavehunter007; 01-30-2012 at 04:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 04:35 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,353,340 times
B.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:38 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,189,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I give it a B. Although I'm a warm weather fan, and would like another month or two of 80 F average highs, the mildness of winters, lack of snow, and sun hrs somwhat make up for it. It is not 12 months of summer like Miami, there is some change of seasons, but the oceanic location keeps the changes modest.
I'm a warm weather fan and the summers look quite long too me as it is. The summer highs are fine, but the warm nights suggest a rather constant stickiness. Together with the moderate heat, I'd say the summers less than ideal, though better than most of the south.

Rest of the year looks comfortable, and lack of extreme heat in the summer is a plus. So, B. Less humid summers or milder winters would bring the grade up to an A. Frequent hurricanes and difficulty of evacuation might drop the grade down to a C if I accounted for it.

Perhaps the best climate on the east coast, a good compromise between the warmer and colder climates along the coast. If I wanted something colder, Asheville is also one of the better east coast climates.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:40 PM

8,161 posts, read 8,694,557 times
D. I prefer climates 100 miles to the west. Cape Hatteras' winters are way too balmy.
Summer is alright (I guess AC is a must there so I can put up with the warm nights, especially with the sea breeze). Plus water temps are ideal.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:01 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,778,087 times
One of my favorite southern climates, by far. Really, the negatives of this place are more geographical than meteorological: this place is just so incredibly vulnerable to hurricanes, and unlike sturdier places or places where there's an easy escape, Buxton is on a piece of sand far out into the ocean.

B, for hurricanes and too-chilly and too-wet winters. Summer, if it weren't for the hurricanes, seems perfect for me.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:48 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,154,337 times
C

Summers too warm and muggy and too sunny overall, but winters are okay.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:06 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,353,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
One of my favorite southern climates, by far. Really, the negatives of this place are more geographical than meteorological: this place is just so incredibly vulnerable to hurricanes, and unlike sturdier places or places where there's an easy escape, Buxton is on a piece of sand far out into the ocean.

B, for hurricanes and too-chilly and too-wet winters. Summer, if it weren't for the hurricanes, seems perfect for me.
I wish I lived in that Buxton.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:15 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,506,216 times
B+. This is a nice climate. Summers are a bit warmer than I like, but I could get used to them. A good trade off for great winter temps. Winter highs are slightly colder than here, but winter lows are warmer. I suspect there would be warmer days in winter than here, as well as colder ones. There is less frost than here, though it would get colder temps most years as well. More snow than here, but it doesn't look like much. It's winters are quite a bit colder than a comparable latitude in NZ.

Rainfall, rain days, and sunshine hours are all really good. This could be the best climate in the US for me. Surfing is probably good, any ski areas nearby?( under 90 mins)

Old 01-30-2012, 06:21 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,506,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
I wish I lived in that Buxton.
CairoCanadian might be subconsciously yearning for cool maritime climates at altitude.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:49 PM

776 posts, read 1,665,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
C

Summers too warm and muggy and too sunny overall, but winters are okay.
From the other vantage point the eastern third of NC looks like paradise for many suffering Floridians looking for a break from the relentless heat. Sounds like you need the a/c at most maybe 10 weeks which is incredible. I would not give the Outer Banks higher than a B only because of the very high hurricane risk..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather