U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What climate do you prefer?
Sydney, Australia 52 61.90%
Atlanta, Georgia, USA 32 38.10%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 08:20 AM

7,023 posts, read 9,530,922 times

Advertisements

Ha. Loads of palm trees grow in coastal SE England. Most things that can grow in Atlanta will grow in SE England. When I went down there a few times last year, there were palms in practically everybody's back gardens. I loved the contrast of those trees against the arts & crafts etc... building styles common there.

Just as an aside: a few months ago I noticed somebody was successfully managing to grow a type of palm in Buxton... I walked into it (in the dark), ouch.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 08:24 AM

16,201 posts, read 9,188,911 times
I used to live in North GA, and you will not see palms anywhere unless they were put there on purpose. Palms really aren't common once you pass Valdosta or Adel in south GA. I've been to downtown Atlanta countless times and I have never seen a palm tree there before....ever.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:26 AM

16,201 posts, read 9,188,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Ha. Loads of palm trees grow in coastal SE England. Most things that can grow in Atlanta will grow in SE England. When I went down there a few times last year, there were palms in practically everybody's back gardens. I loved the contrast of those trees against the arts & crafts etc... building styles common there.

Just as an aside: a few months ago I noticed somebody was successfully managing to grow a type of palm in Buxton... I walked into it (in the dark), ouch.
I would guess that Atlanta has lower extreme lows annually than SE England, so as surprising as this may sound I think palms might survive better in SE England than they would anywhere north of Macon.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:54 AM

4,445 posts, read 9,106,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
Those palms would thrive in either Sydney or Melbourne. .
I think you might have missed the point

YOU said palms would not survive in Atlanta (not me)…which is clearly an error based on the facts. Palms DO survive in Atlanta.

Another error (I think)… if by saying “those palms would thrive thrive in either Sydney or Melbourne” (the ones pictured above) is also incorrect: At least two of the palms in the picture above are Sabal Palmetto – they need very hot summers to grow large and have a full canopy. Sydney and especially Melbourne are far too cold in summer for Sable Palmetto to do well in those locations. Sabal "might" survive in Melbourne…but they would never thrive.

Folks who live in cool climates like Sydney and Melbourne love to use "records" when they talk about their climates compared to others, it makes them seem warmer - lol. It hits 90 F (or higher) 30 to 45 days a year in Atlanta on average...and 90 days a year in southern Georgia on average hit 90 F or higher. What are the average number of 90 F days in Melbourne each summer - lol.

I know you think that Australia is so mild…but compared to many locations like Atlanta you have a lot of cool weather.

Last edited by wavehunter007; 02-02-2012 at 09:03 AM..

Old 02-02-2012, 08:59 AM

24,682 posts, read 48,321,626 times
Anyone notice Sydney is constantly being compared to other cities? No surprise, I vote for it again!

Old 02-02-2012, 09:05 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,070 posts, read 45,104,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post

I know you think that Australia is so mild…but compared to many locations like Atlanta you have a lot of cool weather.
They only cool weather (less than 70°F which is a very generous definition of cool) is from May to Sep or Nov to Mar in NH terms. Atlanta is colder, sometimes much colder Sydney.

Sydney record low is greater than freezing. While some tropical plants might have trouble with the lack of real heat, Atlanta's frosts will be much more limiting to tropical plants than the lack of hot summers in Sydney.

As to which one I prefer, Sydney without hesitation. Though Sydney is perfect, I dislike that summer is the cloudier season, and the summers could be hotter but they're still decently warm, and worthwhile trade off for the winters.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:07 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,070 posts, read 45,104,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Folks who live in cool climates like Sydney and Melbourne love to use "records" when they talk about their climates compared to others, it makes them seem warmer - lol. It hits 90 F (or higher) 30 to 45 days a year in Atlanta on average...and 90 days a year in southern Georgia on average hit 90 F or higher. What are the average number of 90 F days in Melbourne each summer - lol.
But look at the number of nights below 32°F, days below 50°F and Atlanta does terribly compared to Melbourne and Sydney.

I dislike Sydney's summer records, but going by the number of days above 90°F is another point in its favor compared to Atlanta.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:09 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,152,336 times
Sydney. Its summers are warm enough (enough months in the 20s C) and winters milder than Atlanta's.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
They only cool weather (less than 70°F which is a very generous definition of cool) is from May to Sep or Nov to Mar in NH terms. Atlanta is colder, sometimes much colder Sydney.

Sydney record low is greater than freezing. While some tropical plants might have trouble with the lack of real heat, Atlanta's frosts will be much more limiting to tropical plants than the lack of hot summers in Sydney.

As to which one I prefer, Sydney without hesitation. Though Sydney is perfect, I dislike that summer is the cloudier season, and the summers could be hotter but they're still decently warm, and worthwhile trade off for the winters.

Keep in mind that not all palms are "tropical". There are many subtropical and temperate climate palms. So true tropical plants" would struggle in any climates that gets cool/cold weather.

My point was not that Atlanta has warmer winters than Sydney - only that it is inccorect to say there are no palm trees in Atlanta.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
But look at the number of nights below 32°F, days below 50°F and Atlanta does terribly compared to Melbourne and Sydney.

I dislike Sydney's summer records, but going by the number of days above 90°F is another point in its favor compared to Atlanta.
I just checked Atlanta's NWS data set (Atlanta)...they report 332 days per year (on average) that reach 50 F (10 C) or higher. I would guess that a day that fails to hit 50 F (or higher) is not all that common. Perhaps 5/7 times a month from late December through March
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather