Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What climate do you prefer?
Sydney, Australia 52 61.18%
Atlanta, Georgia, USA 33 38.82%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 10:27 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,713 times

Advertisements

Sydney has impressive record highs far from it's normal, even though it's not arid/desert and in fact wetter than Atlanta.

I wonder on how many days, Sydney gets temperatures hotter than Atlanta's averages (such as in the 30s C)?

Perhaps they only happen rarely each summer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 10:42 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
I'd take Sydney in a heartbeat over Atlanta. The winters in Sydney are way milder. Also FWIW regarding hot summers in Atlanta vs. Sydney and Melbourne, both Sydney and Melbourne can get quite hot during heatwaves. A few summers ago, Melbourne hit 46.4°C (115.5°F) while the outer suburbs of Sydney regularly hit 35-40°C every summer with a record high of 45.6°C (113.5°F). I think this also should be taken into consideration.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:17 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
It is much closer when you compare Atlanta to an inland location like this in NSW at the same latitude but an elev of 300m for years 1966 to 2010:

Climate statistics for Australian locations

The winter avg high/low for this location is 58.3/36.8F vs 54.7/36.1F at Atlanta. The large N. American landmass with a direct path from the arctic makes the diff here with regard to the record lows.

Also, this location in Australia averages 35 days a year with a min temp below 32F, while Atlanta area averages 40. Much closer temp wise in winter than with Sydney. Elevation and the inland location play a significant part in the diff between Atlanta and Sydney besides latitude.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:05 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Sydney for me. I like the cooler summers. Atlanta has hotter summers than I like , but I would still rate it a B- climate.

I use citrus as an indicator plant for mild winters. I don't think citrus would fare well in Atlanta.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:38 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,068,909 times
Sydney for me, the much narrower seasonal range outweighing the slight sunshine deficit.

The '81-'10 means are more accurate than Wikipedia: Climate statistics for Australian locations

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
33 days the entire year. My guess is Sydney would be at most 5, maybe even 0.
Well, for the '81-'10 period Sydney's record low maximum for July was 49.3 F, so that should give you an indication.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:40 PM

252 posts, read 735,928 times
I chose Sydney, it's both milder and cooler than Atlanta.

Sydney does have a much better climate for growing palms,
however some "hardy" palms will grow in Atlanta.

Weird thing I noticed is Columbia, the capital of South Carolina
has noticeably more palms than Atlanta and is at the same latitude.
And Columbia is "inland" too. The South Carolina state Capital Building features a number of nice looking large Palmetto palms.

The Palmetto tree is the state tree of South Carolina and is even featured on the state flag!!

I'm no palm expert but I think the Palmetto is a slightly cold hardier version of the Sabal Palm that is native to Florida. Palmettos are native to the south east coast as far north as southeast North Carolina.

Farther north in Virginia Beach, the city planted some to give the city a "tropical" look, but they are covered every winter to ensure survival.

Yes, Australia IS "lucky", when compared with North America,
particularly anywhere east of the Rocky Mountains, strong cold fronts with very cold air, sometimes as far south as Florida. Look at the record lows anywhere in the southern states and you find temperatures that are way colder than anyplace in Australia, strangely nobody on this forum seems to mention Australia's capital, Canberra, but it is "inland" near mountains and IS quite cool by Australian standards, with some chilly lows and record lows. Maybe it should be "compared" with US cities?

What I've always found strange is that one of Atlanta's nicknames is
"Hot 'lanta" , but it's average summer temps aren't much hotter than Philly and are noticeably "cooler" than many places in the south ....Memphis....Dallas....Little Rock....Houston.....Oklahoma City
...you name it ...they're all hotter on average than Atlanta.

Yeah and IMO Sydney has a weird climate ...has cooler average high temps than places in southern Ontario Canada has in summer but a mild winter rivaling southern California but also has
humid summers However, still better than Atlanta.

Last edited by philobeddoe; 02-02-2012 at 04:43 PM..

Old 02-02-2012, 03:44 PM

414 posts, read 798,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
It is much closer when you compare Atlanta to an inland location like this in NSW at the same latitude but an elev of 300m for years 1966 to 2010:

Cowra is pretty toasty in summer, but anywhere west of the Great Dividing Range doesn't get the coastal humidity-the mean min of 15.6C/60F for Cowra in January is an indication. Of course, when tropical rain systems affect inland NSW the humidity rises but this is the exception.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:30 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
33 days the entire year. My guess is Sydney would be at most 5, maybe even 0.
Winter days that fail to hit 10C/50F are rare in Sydney. The record low maximum is 7.2C. My estimate is it's a once in a decade event. In all my years living here, the lowest maximum I recall here in Perth was 10C. Sydney gets slightly cooler maximums.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post

The winter avg high/low for this location is 58.3/36.8F vs 54.7/36.1F at Atlanta. The large N. American landmass with a direct path from the arctic makes the diff here with regard to the record lows.

Also, this location in Australia averages 35 days a year with a min temp below 32F, while Atlanta area averages 40. Much closer temp wise in winter than with Sydney. Elevation and the inland location play a significant part in the diff between Atlanta and Sydney besides latitude.
Frost is fairly common in most of inland NSW during the winter. Stable, high pressure air and clear skies dominate. It's even fairly routine in the Western suburbs of Sydney, which usually get a few pretty severe frosts every winter. Amazingly, Observatory Hill has never recorded a ground frost in it's history.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Sydney has impressive record highs far from it's normal, even though it's not arid/desert and in fact wetter than Atlanta.

I wonder on how many days, Sydney gets temperatures hotter than Atlanta's averages (such as in the 30s C)?

Perhaps they only happen rarely each summer?
Compared to the trio of Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne (the cities most prone to heatwaves, 'ironically' the southern capitals) extreme summer heat is less common in Sydney. Sydney's summers are noticeably cloudier, more humid and more 'tropical feeling' than those three, which often have searing dry heat in the summer months.

Average no. of days above 35C/95F annually:

Perth: 24.7

Adelaide: 19.8

Melbourne: 10.0

Sydney: 3.0

From BOM. Stats for Observatory Hill in the CBD, and all the other main CBD stations for the other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather