U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What climate do you prefer?
Sydney, Australia 52 61.90%
Atlanta, Georgia, USA 32 38.10%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 05:04 AM

24,682 posts, read 48,343,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
San Diego also has much cooler summers then Atlanta but of course winters are significantly warmer so better for palms to grow.. wavehunter, you have basically turned this entire thread into a bash the maritime's because Atlanta is so much hotter in the summer despite being far more prone to arctic blasts then even Seattle it would seem.. record low of -22C, sheesh, any place that prone to cold is bound to be a haven for palms
I think Atlanta's hot humid summers are a point AGAINST it as a climate. Give me Melbourne's moderate summers anyday. Minus those awful heatwaves.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 05:12 AM

24,682 posts, read 48,343,262 times
I'm probably one of the few people in this thread who has experienced summers in both Melbourne (numerous times) and the South (over a period of at least 10 days). The heat in the South is something different to the heat in Melbourne. Summer feels just like the tropics hot and humid. Even summer in Boston has a vaguely tropical feel one doesn't really get south of Sydney.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:13 AM

22,254 posts, read 25,382,888 times
Yes, Melbourne has a pretty good summer for a person who dislikes heat.. not too keen on that record high though, yikes

Old 02-04-2012, 07:27 AM

12,438 posts, read 11,265,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
How could it be frostless when the average low is barely above freezing in the coldest month?
It was totally fictional. I was trying to determine how much frost plays into someones climate preferences vs having real warmth for much of the year. I was in Eureka in summer and it was pure yuk to me. Just plain cold, yet in the winter that place gets no frost and has palm trees abounding.

To me having frosts in the winter is a no brainer if I get much more warmth 6 months out of the year. A mean temp of 64F as Joe90 posted for Jan would be just a disgusting summer to me. Plus a low of 38F for a min night temp. Awful. That is freezing for summer. There would never hardly be an 80F high. I love wrap around warmth on summer nights. Our temps for 4 months of the year don't go below 60F at night. Even Auckland barely cracks 75F for an avg high and 60F for a low for one month. Yeah you get mild winters, with highs in the 50's, but summers I wouldn't want.

It's acclimation I guess or cultural but summer to me has to have temps in the 80's. 70's for high temps are spring and fall and are not warm enough to really do any summer activities I love, like the beach and swimming and pool parties, barbecues, etc. I know it seems a lot of people living in oceanic climates talk about how mild, but to me there is a huge trade off for that, and it is the lack of a proper summer imo.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:43 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,070 posts, read 45,125,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
That was kind of my point – only in a reverse direction:

It seems that the three or four months of winter is used to define Atlanta’s climate – while the other 8 or 9 months are being ignored. FS seems to have a personal issue with Atlanta, and that’s fine. I just enjoy looking at climate data and seeing where climates fall. You’re quite right, a few months in summer or winter should not be used to define a climate. Annual mean temperates might be a better picture?

Yet, if you do just that – Atlanta (annual mean temp 61 F) is warmer than Melbourne (58 F):

Atlanta: ATLANTA USA, Weather History and Climate Data

Melbourne: MELBOURNE REGIONAL OFFICE, Weather History and Climate Data

I could care less what location can grow palms or apples or what place has 100 frosts or zero. My only point in this debate is that we should at least give the climate data/facts a fair shake and let them stand on their own.
No, you were usually bringing up the warmer months in your posts. As FS posted in the other thread, the difference is small between the two, and within a degree for Sydney and Atlanta. 5 months of the year Atlanta is clearly warmer than Sydney, 5 months Sydney is clearly warmer than Atlanta. The 5 months where Atlanta is warmer than Sydney, Sydney is still warm (highs above 72°F, lows above 60°F). So overall, none is really warmer than the other, but obviously one distribute its warmth differently.

Atlanta concentrates its warmth in periods when it's already warm — summer month, where in my opinion it's not as useful, and to many irritatingly hot and humid, leaving some sections of the year where it's downright chilly. By personal preference, I'd weight winter months more than summer months when rating climates like these, for I said Sydney is already warm enough to me in the summer, so Atlanta provides little benefit.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:59 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm probably one of the few people in this thread who has experienced summers in both Melbourne (numerous times) and the South (over a period of at least 10 days). The heat in the South is something different to the heat in Melbourne. Summer feels just like the tropics hot and humid. Even summer in Boston has a vaguely tropical feel one doesn't really get south of Sydney.
I like having my summers having a "vaguely tropical feel" just not too intense. So I'd be happy enough with Sydney, but not be with Melbourne. And probably take Atlanta over Melbourne, but easily choose Sydney over Atlanta.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:37 AM

10,566 posts, read 13,199,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I'm curious, if there were a climate that had an avg high in the warmest month of say 60/49F, and in the coldest month 41/35F, and you had another with say 85F/65F warmest & 55F/30F coldest, which would you choose? And let's add to this that the latter climate got frost 15 times a year, mabye once or twice dipping into the 20'sF, and the former never.
I'd choose the latter because 15 frosts a year isn't a lot... also depends on record lows and how prone they are to cold snaps.. if highs always remained above freezing then that would be acceptable. The thing I hate is prolonged cold (i.e. more than a few days) in winter. More than anything else I HATE snow and I HATE frost... but of course you have to weigh that out if summers are 25 degrees warmer then that makes a difference.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:49 PM

12,438 posts, read 11,265,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
One of my best friends hails from Atlanta, moved here at the age of 28 with her family which was nearly 20 years ago (geez how time does fly fast!). She now lives in Melbourne, her parents moved to Auckland, New Zealand after a few years here as they did not like the climate here and her brother & sister eventually shifted to Christchurch and she is coming up here in 2 weeks time for a week
She has told me that Melbourne winters, whilst cold by "our" standards, is not by theirs and in Atlanta they get snow and quite heavy frosts even on the coast - that does not happen here and summers can be very humid - bordering on oppressive quite often followed by thunderous storms.

From watching some Atlanta-based shows on TV, I have seen very browned lawns surrounded by bare-leaved trees - can tell it's winter there which seems very sunny - with locals wrapped up like they are living in the north pole and the cold see-thru air that comes out of their mouths, that really surprised me a lot as I thought Atlanta is humid cool-warm with all-year-round rain like here
You paint a pic as if Atlanta was in the Arctic and that is not the case. Of course Atlanta is colder than Sydney. Their avg low is 34F, not much above freezing. Keep in mind the location well inland. I wonder if people bundle up in winter hundred of miles inland in Australia at an elev of 1,000ft asl where the avg low is 36F. Also, people in the South are not known for being cold tolerant. I've seen people bundled up there with temps in the 50's.

Re: brown grass, the grass in the south has to deal with high summer temps and is therefore sensitive to cold. If they had the grass we have it would be lush green in winter. Our grass is green now. They can't have our grass cause it would fry up in the hotter temps and more intense solar radiation. I agree about the bare trees. Much more deciduous than broadleaf evergreen in Atlanta than adjacent coastal locations. This is due to the lower temps in winter and again due to being well inland and a highland location.

You can see your breath well above freezing btw, it all has to do with the dew point and how close the air temp is to the dew point. Walking home just now the temp in Philly is 39F and I clearly saw my breath. The dew point is currently 33F. Supposedly when the temp is within 5F of the dew point you see your breath. Sydney being dry in the winter the dew point would be lower than Atlanta. My brother told me he saw his breath in Vietnam in January. It wasn't below freezing.

It is humid cool in winter with an avg high/low temp(low 50's high, mid 30's low) similar to Rome, but is subject to arctic fronts as all of eastern N. America. Atlanta avg a whopping total of 2.7" of snow in winter, with the vast majority of precip being rain in winter. Also, Atlanta avg's snow depth for any month of the year is zero. Snow doesn't last more than a day when it happens.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:53 PM

18,307 posts, read 15,396,895 times
Quote:
It was totally fictional. I was trying to determine how much frost plays into someones climate preferences vs having real warmth for much of the year. I was in Eureka in summer and it was pure yuk to me. Just plain cold, yet in the winter that place gets no frost and has palm trees abounding.

To me having frosts in the winter is a no brainer if I get much more warmth 6 months out of the year. A mean temp of 64F as Joe90 posted for Jan would be just a disgusting summer to me. Plus a low of 38F for a min night temp. Awful. That is freezing for summer. There would never hardly be an 80F high. I love wrap around warmth on summer nights. Our temps for 4 months of the year don't go below 60F at night. Even Auckland barely cracks 75F for an avg high and 60F for a low for one month. Yeah you get mild winters, with highs in the 50's, but summers I wouldn't want.

It's acclimation I guess or cultural but summer to me has to have temps in the 80's. 70's for high temps are spring and fall and are not warm enough to really do any summer activities I love, like the beach and swimming and pool parties, barbecues, etc. I know it seems a lot of people living in oceanic climates talk about how mild, but to me there is a huge trade off for that, and it is the lack of a proper summer imo.
I'm on the other side of that view. The winter determines what the overall climate is like for me . A winter that is 5 months long is not worth a hot summer. Atlanta is fine because it has only 3 months of a mild winter(although the record low is another matter). Philadelphia or further north, have the duration and temps to give me that "trapped" feeling for winter.

I like a year round outdoor climate. One in which surfing, kayaking or boating are not hard to do in winter. Also with a decent enough summer to allow for 3-4 months of mostly comfortable beach weather, and still featuring a few days that are uncomfortably hot. Although wet/cloudy conditions annoy me at times in winter, I seldom consider the temps when doing things.

Atlanta would be fine for me, except that it's up against a climate I like even more.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Our grass is green now.
There's green grass in the Northeastern US in early February?! I'm not sure if I've seen this. Have any photos?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather