Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What climate do you prefer?
Sydney, Australia 52 61.18%
Atlanta, Georgia, USA 33 38.82%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 05:04 AM

497 posts, read 983,600 times

Advertisements

Sydney

Atlanta's winters are too cold, especially when compared to how warm it gets in summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 05:12 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,953,394 times
Atlanta's summers by a mile, but their winters kill any chance of growing palm trees.

Sydney's summers are generally warm enough for me.... I mean 20/26C average with a bit of humidity is okay and I'm sure large varieties of subtropical plants can be grown atleast on the immediate coast where frost is very rare and average winter lows are nearly 10C.

I think I give the nod to Sydney.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:21 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
Never been to Sydney so I can't really comment on the climate..
I love living in Atlanta but there are a few climate things I'd like to point out..
We get a lot of thunderstorms in the Spring.. as well as a few tornados and HAIL. When its not storming in the spring, the pollen is tough especially on those with allergies...
We dont' often get above 100f degrees in the summer but we get darn close and the humidity will choke you at times. I think the fall is our ideal season. The temps are mild to cool.. hardly any frost until the dec or the new year and when we have a mild winter, like this year (knock on wood) fall seems to last 6 months.

I'm not sure how that all compares to Sydney because I have never been.. but I am not trading up or down any time soon.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:24 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Atlanta because it can get cold and frosty during the winter in Atlanta.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:38 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,233,028 times
Well none of those cities have pr infant climates..

I would go with Atlanta, sunny and has a little bit of winter..

Sydney is like a no-mans land, it's not sunny enough to have a California like climate, it's not cool enough to be 4 season.. And the summers in Sydney are not as sunny as you might think.. They're very humid and heavy rain is very common in summer..

Old 02-02-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Never been to Sydney so I can't really comment on the climate..
I love living in Atlanta but there are a few climate things I'd like to point out..
We get a lot of thunderstorms in the Spring.. as well as a few tornados and HAIL. When its not storming in the spring, the pollen is tough especially on those with allergies...
We dont' often get above 100f degrees in the summer but we get darn close and the humidity will choke you at times. I think the fall is our ideal season. The temps are mild to cool.. hardly any frost until the dec or the new year and when we have a mild winter, like this year (knock on wood) fall seems to last 6 months.

I'm not sure how that all compares to Sydney because I have never been.. but I am not trading up or down any time soon.
Everything I love.

Don't know how it compares to Sydney.... but there's similarities to Melbourne... we had hail the size of Oranges along with an official Tornado warning for the city on Christmas Day, never ever seen that before...for any location in Australia, 2 confirmed tornadoes were recorded in the western suburbs, with severe hail damage throughout Melbourne. I actually flew out to Europe that day... the freeway to the airport was closed as trees have been shredded to bits and were scattered all over the road and signs were destroyed. Big time panic as we had to catch the plane and traffic was at a stand still!!! Ofcourse, high temps and high humidity were recorded on the day.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:13 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
Sydney wins, it is very similar to a southern hemisphere version of my ideal climate, in temperature anyway.

Atlanta is colder than I thought; it's lows in winter are colder than London and it gets more snow.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:38 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,363,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
Atlanta's summers by a mile, but their winters kill any chance of growing palm trees.

Sydney's summers are generally warm enough for me.... I mean 20/26C average with a bit of humidity is okay and I'm sure large varieties of subtropical plants can be grown atleast on the immediate coast where frost is very rare and average winter lows are nearly 10C.

I think I give the nod to Sydney.
Just a “palm note” :

While palms and broadleaf evergreens are not nearly as common in Atlanta /far north Georgia as southern Georgia and points southward…palms DO grow in Atlanta from what I’ve seen on a few business trips. I’ve been through several parts of suburban Atlanta, and it’s not uncommon to see a few palms in a residential, commercial, or Govt landscape setting. I’ve seen Sable’s, Washingtonia, Trachy and others.

Here is a picture of downtown Atlanta with some palms: You can just make out One Atlanta Center office tower to left of palm trees and BP gas station:

Old 02-02-2012, 08:03 AM

Those palms would thrive in either Sydney or Melbourne. Both of these cities have ample summers to support palms and rarely any winter frost, let alone Atlanta's record -22C!!! That tells me Atlanta would get temps well under freezing every winter, so any palms would suffer. Wavehunter, I know you think the USA has the hottest and most tropical climate this side of the sun, but unfortunately Atlanta couldn't support any species that Sydney or even Melbourne could, due to Atlanta's cool winters and risk of extreme cold. Show me pics of Canary Island Date Palms or Californian/Mexican fan palms, both of which can be found in Sydney and Melbourne and especially in the semi-arid climates of inland southeastern Australia. Numerous subtropical species can be found in Sydney and along the bayside suburbs of Melbourne, non of which would have the slightest chance of surviving an Atlanta winter.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:18 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Sydney wins, it is very similar to a southern hemisphere version of my ideal climate, in temperature anyway.

Atlanta is colder than I thought; it's lows in winter are colder than London and it gets more snow.

I don't think that is an entirely accurate statement. The avg low in Atlanta in Feb is higher than London. London avg low in the month of Jan is 2F warmer than Atlanta, and for Dec London is about .4F warmer on the avg low.

Taking the avg low for the entire winter in Atlanta is 36.1F, while in London it is 36.3F. Technically they would both be rounded to 36F. On the other hand the avg high in Atlanta for the three winter months is 54.7F compared to 46.9F in London. Your statement is correct if you just look at Jan avg low, not the entire winter.

I choose Sydney, warmer winter, and much warmer record lows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather