Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What climate do you prefer?
Sydney, Australia 52 61.18%
Atlanta, Georgia, USA 33 38.82%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 12:58 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times

Advertisements

Atlanta is obviously more prone to Arctic blasts, its record low is -22C after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 02:35 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Minimum temperature forecasted this week for Atlanta is 23 F. For Seattle it's 40 F.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:59 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndejene View Post
And I bet the chances of Atlanta hitting 70 in the winter months are ten times of that Seattle. Has 70 ever been recorded in Seattle in jan or feb? Seattle is always hovering somewhere in the high 30s and 40s while Atlanta will have a high of say 46 and weather be describe as unseasonably cold nearly to the point where the city appears dormant. Which only lasts for two to three days then temps rebound nicely. This is ridiculous there's a reason why snowbirds mass migrate to Atlanta and not Seattle. I'd hate to be wet and cold for five months out of the year I'd rather have a cpl of nights of frosts and freeze here and there followed by spring like weather
Let me just agree on one point and disagree on another:

I agree 100% Seattle, Melbourne (or Sydney, the original topic of the thread) can’t hold a candle to the warmth in Atlanta: Winter warmth is another good example: According to their respective NWS sites – Atlanta has hit 65 F (or higher) 22 times since Dec 1st…while Seattle has not hit 65 F since the end of last October (lol). Typically, in the winter months, while there will be a fair number of cool days with highs only in the 40’s…there will also be many winter days with highs in the 50’s and 60’s under sunny skies in Atlanta. In contrast, the winter weather in Seattle is often wet, gloomy, with highs in the 30’s and 40’s.

I disagree however that snowbirds “mass migrate” to Atlanta in the cold season (Nov – March). Agreed Atlanta might be a growing business center - but snowbirds are interested in warmer and more resort orientated regions to spend the cool months in. Florida, California, the coastal cities in the Gulf and south Atlantic states, and the Desert Southwest cities… offer far more to snowbirds than Atlanta as well as warmer weather. With so many choices in the USA, I tend to doubt many would winter in Atlanta by choice.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:21 PM

12 posts, read 16,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Minimum temperature forecasted this week for Atlanta is 23 F. For Seattle it's 40 F.
i dk where u get your facts from but Seattle has forecasted low of 36 on Saturday evening, not to mention not one temp over 55. That 23 your looking at is said to be the yearly low and look how it rebounds into next week

Old 02-09-2012, 05:23 PM

snowbirds meaning people from Ohio,Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, New York , New Jersey who have gathered in Atlanta and all complain about how cold it was back home and the variation in temp of an Atlanta winter from year to year

Old 02-09-2012, 05:24 PM

today reached a pleasant 57, ahhh when was the last time that happ in Seattle? September? lol

Old 02-09-2012, 05:28 PM

1985, yes the coldest winter on record for florida, georgia. Good you bring that up let me point out since that week in jan where subzero temps blanketed the deep south and single digits. Atlantas next lowest reading was -5. which occured nearly 70 yrs prior.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:09 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndejene View Post
i dk where u get your facts from but Seattle has forecasted low of 36 on Saturday evening, not to mention not one temp over 55. That 23 your looking at is said to be the yearly low and look how it rebounds into next week
I get it from the National Weather Service. Of course they update the forecasts. Now the forecasted minimum is 37 F. Saturday and Sunday night are expected to be in the low to mid 20s in Atlanta. Why was Seattle even brought into this thread in the first place?

On a broader point about Atlanta, I think more people were/are moving there for economic reasons than weather-related. I remember back around 2005 during the (fake) economic boom, I knew of several families who moved down there for jobs.

BTW, Seattle reached 61 F this month.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:57 PM

398 posts, read 750,766 times
I love this thread. Finally some people that think Atlanta is too cold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttad View Post
Sydney

Atlanta's winters are too cold, especially when compared to how warm it gets in summer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
Atlanta's summers by a mile, but their winters kill any chance of growing palm trees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Atlanta because it can get cold and frosty during the winter in Atlanta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Atlanta is colder than I thought; it's lows in winter are colder than London

Thanks... I am from California and was trying to say Atlanta and parts north were too cold and grey for me! And getting nagged about it by people. I don't really like any temps under 40s, ever. A daily low even under 60 is quite rare and only a few days a year. I don't even like those, much less Atlanta. I know it isn't Boston...but it is damn cold to me.
The RECORD low where I'm from ever is 27 (-3) Record low in Atlanta is -9 (-23) ... That is a 32 degree temperature swing... Quite a big deal in my book and creates that leafless dead tree look everywhere, depressing. I hate that kind of cold, under 50 to me is cold enough as it is. I guess it is all relative, I'm sure people who grew up in it can handle it better.
Atlanta to me is NOT sunbelt... It isn't about how HOT it gets, it is about how cold it gets. For instance, Minneapolis at 108 has a higher record high than Atlanta... Nothing like the warm cities in parts of Florida, Texas, California or Arizona. Remember it's still almost a 700 mile drive from Atlanta to Miami.

Last edited by Lizz0rd; 02-24-2012 at 01:07 PM..

Old 12-30-2014, 01:30 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizz0rd View Post
I love this thread. Finally some people that think Atlanta is too cold...

Thanks... I am from California and was trying to say Atlanta and parts north were too cold and grey for me! And getting nagged about it by people. I don't really like any temps under 40s, ever. A daily low even under 60 is quite rare and only a few days a year. I don't even like those, much less Atlanta. I know it isn't Boston...but it is damn cold to me.
The RECORD low where I'm from ever is 27 (-3) Record low in Atlanta is -9 (-23) ... That is a 32 degree temperature swing... Quite a big deal in my book and creates that leafless dead tree look everywhere, depressing. I hate that kind of cold, under 50 to me is cold enough as it is. I guess it is all relative, I'm sure people who grew up in it can handle it better.
Atlanta to me is NOT sunbelt... It isn't about how HOT it gets, it is about how cold it gets. For instance, Minneapolis at 108 has a higher record high than Atlanta... Nothing like the warm cities in parts of Florida, Texas, California or Arizona. Remember it's still almost a 700 mile drive from Atlanta to Miami.
Let's clear up some profound misconceptions about Atlanta right now, because what I'm reading here borders on the ridiculous.
Atlanta can have some really cold days in the winter...they are the exception. The more typical winter day varies from chilly to mild. And winter is pretty short...December through mid- March. And thanks to the Gulf of Mexico, we get occasional breaks then.
Spring and Fall are fabulous. End of story.
Mid-June to Mid-September can be hot, but the altitude offers more relief in the evening than in the coastal South. There are the occasional breaks, even then.
And yes, even though palms are not native to Atlanta, I see them on a daily basis when I'm there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather