Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 04:52 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,269,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Thanks for the link. So no country record lows as expected, though Czech Republic was close. I'm surprised by their Finland record low, -57.9°C/-72.2°F. I didn't know than Lapland went below -55°C. From the looks of it, Kevo is a frost hollow, so it explains it all.
Speaking of frost hollows, the Glattalp sinkhole in Switzerland has proven its potential again.
Interesting to see that Europe is capable of matching much of the eastern US in severe cold once in a while.

Those Northern Italy snow photos are spectacular. Is there some topographic reason why those areas got so much snow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 05:16 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,610,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Interesting to see that Europe is capable of matching much of the eastern US in severe cold once in a while.

Those Northern Italy snow photos are spectacular. Is there some topographic reason why those areas got so much snow?
It's like lake effect snow as far as I can gather: cold air crossing the warmer Adriatic Sea, then when it hits land a large part of the Italian east coast is only a few km away from towns at 1000' or more (I've been to Urbino [on a boiling hot summer's day, mind] and it is quite steep, being at the foot of the Apennine mountain range, and there are road signs up on the steeper roads warning that they can be dangerous in ice/snow), so I don't think heavy snowfalls are as unusual there as near Rome by the west coast, though I suspect getting repeated heavy snow like that doesn't happen too often.

Interesting to see how just a few dozen miles of sea insulates us yet again from the worst of whatever's going on on the continent - Brussels getting 14 consecutive ice days contrasts with us about 180 miles away only getting one and central London not getting any.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:06 AM

9,240 posts, read 9,706,841 times
Just FYI:

This winter has been slightly colder than average in China, but the extreme temperatures are not impressive. South China got significantly more precipitation than usual.

Almost all the major cities to the north of the Tropic of Cancer got some snow, except Fuzhou, Kunming, Chongqing and Chengdu. It snowed 2~3 times in Shanghai, but not much accumulation.

Record low of some major cities in this winter (degree Celsius):
Beijing -13.3
Shanghai -5.0
Guangzhou 3.9
Chongqing 2.8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather