Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 08:06 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,730,067 times

Advertisements

Beginning of early Spring: 50°F, daffodils and other things begin to show up.
Beginning of late Spring: 65°F, the first warm days (77°F+) happen around there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 09:28 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,206,676 times
I've been used to 60s for early spring (March) and upper 80s as late spring (early May) temperatures. I think 50s are early spring (April) and mid-upper 70s are late spring (late May-early June) temps here.

I basically use the beginning of spring as the time when the flowers and trees bloom. March looks too cold for that to happen here, while it would happen usually between late February and mid March where I used to live.

Last edited by Nivalis; 02-08-2012 at 09:42 AM..

Old 02-08-2012, 01:12 PM

175 posts, read 324,026 times
Interesting thread. A glance at the weather statistics for my area from the Weather Channel reveals that on average:

the first day daily high is above 50 is April 11
the first day daily high is above 55 is April 21
the first day daily high is above 60 is May 1
the first day daily high is above 70 is May 30

So on average, I suppose, early spring here starts around Around the 10th of April, where the daily high average crosses 50 degrees, whereas 70 degree average daily high, on average, arrived late May (though the first 70 degree weather can arrive about a month earlier).

Wow, that was pretty late.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:18 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,015,238 times
early spring: near-freezing temperatures no longer common as highs, maybe only lingering as overnight lows. Highs 5-10C/41-50F. Not that I'm too fond of these temperatures, but at least winter is over. At this point, trees still do not have leaves, maybe just buds. The dormant bulb-type flowers' shoots and things would be either visible or coming up though, and grass is greening.

late spring: T-shirt weather possible. Highs near 21C/70F or room temperature, and above. Flowering season's pretty much passed the peak or mostly gone. Trees have leaves now, though they may not have darkened to a deep summer green.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:22 PM

Ah, this thread is still a bit early for me to be thinking about spring!

Old 02-08-2012, 01:46 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,560,260 times
In Nice :

Early spring : 16°C
Late spring : 22°C

In my ideal climate :

Early spring : 28°C
Late spring : 30°C

Old 02-08-2012, 02:56 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Does anyone else like the early spring / mid spring distinction I made?

Old 02-08-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yeah, that does make sense with a sort of boundary, pivot point, where the wintery days still make their chill felt, and the summery days start to build up. It must vary a lot by climate though.

Is it probably short in a lot of climates that have hot summers and cold winter, and hard to pin down exactly, but very noticeable as a real-life feel in humid continental climates. It's like that moment, where past the point frostiness loses its influence.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:33 PM

Googling the images for "early spring" and "late spring" seems to fit my mental image at least decently.

(the images for "early spring" that come up seem more fitting)

Old 02-08-2012, 07:56 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think your distinction for late spring works well (68 or 70 F is not a huge difference), and would fit with most areas not only in the USA but elsewhere. Late spring should be a time that flirts with near summer conditions – so open windows at night, no threat of any cold (under 50 F or so), and daily highs near 70 F seem to work well.

Early spring is where I think most people would find the most contrasts with each other depending on where they live. When I lived in Florida, there was really little real difference between winter and early spring temps. I guess I could make the case that when daily highs started averaging over 80 F/26.5 C it was the start of early spring in Florida. The real difference started in May, when the southerly flow would bring an increase in humidity and the rainfall would increase. So I guess I could say late spring started when highs get closer to the upper 80’s and there was a noticeable increase in rainfall and humidity.

In the NYC/coastal Ct area, to me early spring starts in early/mid April when highs get near 60 F and everything is quickly turning green again. The NYC area normally starts to see highs near 50 F by mid March, but it is still too cool for me to call it early spring. To me, while 50 F is starting to "not feel cold", it is still too cool to really feel like spring. True early spring weather should not be frosty at night as well. The 60 F isotherm doesn’t reach the Tri-State area until mid April. I really wish it was earlier. This is one of the reasons I tend to like the climates of the lower East Coast (Myrtle Beach, Atlanta...etc)... lower West Coast (Long Beach, Santa Cruze...etc)...as well as some of the desert cities (Phoenix, Tucson...etc) – by March daily highs are already in the 60’s and 70’s F (16 – 24 C) in these areas. To be honest, I normally get so excited about the ending of the cold season and the start of the warm season, that I have always seem to spend a few days/weekend somewhere down south to “greet “ the warm season.

Yes, I'm a warm weather fan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather