Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 06:40 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times

Advertisements

I know winter/cold weather fans will find little interest in this…but now that we are moving through Feb pretty fast, I’m starting to get a little excited about the coming of spring.

Based on just my personal thresholds…I really feel like the true mildness of early spring arrives when average highs are 60 F/16 C or higher. Admittedly, there are many stations in the far southern portions of the USA that never see average highs go below 60 F (San Diego, New Orleans, Savannah…etc)… however for much the rest of the mainland USA, I think the advance of the 60 F isotherm for daily highs is a fair line in the sand for when early spring warmth truly has arrived. Also, I think the 70 F/21 C isotherm is really more late spring, and anything above as the start of summer isotherms.

In just a few weeks the 60 F daily high isotherms will advance northward to cover much of California west of the Mt ranges, much of Arizona and southern New Mexico, through the Gulf States to the lower East Coast in March:

By early May...a large area of the USA has daily highs above 70 F...so I would consider this the start of late spring. Only a few areas of the far north and western Mts have ave daily highs below 70 F:

Is daily highs of 60 F a fair line for the start of early spring...and the 70 F isotherm the start of late spring? What would be the isotherm used to define early and late spring where you live? Do people in oceanic and southern hemisphere type climates have different thresholds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 07:02 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
70°F seems about right; maybe a few degrees less 67°F or 68°F; I'd call the threshold of late spring when it becomes warm enough one can usually leaves the windows open most of the time without worrying about cold. Earlier in the spring, I'd be uncomfortable having windows open the whole day.

Early spring I don't define by warmth, but it becoming noticeably warmer than winter. For where I live, that's highs above 45°F or so. At that point, snow is rare and if it does snow, it won't last long on the ground. If it's been a cold winter, snow will melt fast around this time. Obviously for warmer climates, the 45°F threshold doesn't make sense.

I'd define a separate part of spring, mid spring, which is roughly similar to your idea of "early spring". Weather is generally no longer chilly just sometimes cool. But more importantly, frosts have become rarer and plants, flowers are starting to bud out. My early spring feels like a warmer version of winter with the bare vegetation, but mid-spring should feel like an all together sudden change in season. 60°F is an ok threshold, but again I'd go slightly lower maybe 57 or 58°F, but if possible I'd use when flowers, plants start to pop out which is close to your 60°F thershold.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:48 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
60F is about the average for September anyway, so feels about right. A few days in late winter feel like spring. The 70F mark isn't reached until the first month of summer, but that sounds about right. I think of summer as when the weather is settled, consistently "nice" and good for swimming, rather than by just the temps. Last summer seemed to start at about the start of November.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:57 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
It's hard to place when exactly "spring" starts here but I'd say when average highs pass about 50F which is usually by the beginning of March. That's usually when the flowers start blooming. The trees start at about 55F which is several weeks to a month later. We don't hit the 70F isotherm until the height of summer here or in July, so it's more summer by Vancouver standards than spring.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:01 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
I don't like the heat of Summer, but I love Spring! People start to get crazy when it gets to 50, I'll be outside but still with a jacket. People go with just shirt sleeves when it is 50 around here.

It will be interesting to see what happens as winter has been mild, less than 12" of snow, grass never turned completely brown, unless we get storms late Feb./Mar., we could have a very early Spring. Right now, I have no snow in my yard, last year would have been at least 2 feet.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:56 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
I guess when temperatures begin frequently exceeding 10C/50F.. which is usually in March

Old 02-07-2012, 11:58 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times
Early spring temps are 12-13C+ every day. Late spring temps are 18-21C.

10C/50F here is still winter-like; the coldest month, January, averages 11 days above 10C.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:45 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,284,996 times
60+F is summer here. Spring highs are 40-55F. April and May. I guess I'd call it early spring after the last major snowfall, when you start seeing serious melting. Late spring is when you start seeing green higher up on the mountains and the bears start coming out.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:14 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Early Spring temps: 45-50 range

Late Spring temps: 70's

This is just generally speaking, the 45-50 range doesn't apply to 2012 since it's been so mild.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:21 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,793,351 times
I've lived in too many different climates for me to have one spring temperature.

For example: Calgary - early spring means late March, early April, when snow no longer sticks and if it falls, it melts. Late spring means snow stops falling altogether and the end of frosts; things start becoming green, usually by mid-May.

Another example: Cairo - early spring means highs consistently in the 20sC, late spring sees highs consistently near 30C, and the cessation of all rain.

In Victoria the oceanic climate meant seasons were very blurry. 12C and light drizzle was normal weather in January and in June, what seemed to define the seasons were more the aberrations than the normals: the last outbreak of below 0C temperatures marked the ''last'' of winter, the first warm day above 20C the ''start'' of summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather