U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 11:13 PM

9,594 posts, read 25,720,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblebutts View Post
Hi guys,
We all know the official temperatures are taken in the shade and we know why. In recent time the "how it feels" humidity factor is added to the weather reports. Direct sun is a reality to many folks, and the "95 feels like 97" is not nearly so meaningful if you are unlucky enough to spend time outdoors. It would be very meaningful to add "Direct Sun" to our weather. 95 degrees is mild in the shade feels fairly mild in the Texas summer, but can translate to 110 or 115 if you are forced to be in the sun. I say this is an important weather item that has been missing from our local weather.
I agree.

In Perth and southwestern Australia
a shade temperature of 97 F (37 C) can possibly feel milder than 77 F (26 C) out in the midday sun,
walking on sand dunes or somewhere like an unshaded large parking lot.
You can feel it in how quickly you get dehydrated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 11:16 PM

1,516 posts, read 2,634,468 times
I agree that the direct sun factor is important in determining comfort, but my understanding is that there isn't a standard formula for estimating it. According to weather sites that I've looked at, the air temperature is always the same in the shade versus the sun (for a given location) but a thermometer placed in the sun will read much higher because its components absorb the incoming radiation and convert it into heat energy. This is the same thing that happens with your skin/clothing, but any formula you could apply to the materials in the thermometer would not be valid for such radically different substances.

AccuWeather includes a direct sun factor in their RealFeel index but they don't tell you the basis for the formula (it's proprietary information). And it probably has nothing to do with sun vs. shade placement of thermometers.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:41 AM

1 posts, read 4,075 times
I have a thermometer. where can i do put it to measure temperature of my city.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,076 times
Readers
I have one question that what is the effect of the soil temperature three feet below the earth level.
If the surface temperature on surface is 47 degree Celsius under shade then what would it be three feet below
Please reply

Old 11-20-2015, 07:54 PM

4,666 posts, read 3,144,591 times
You can compare room temp without AC

Sun is a important heat component in Indonesia, maybe because of the high (tropical) sun angle pretty much nobody here say a cloudy (or even a few clouds, but blocking the sun) day, even with no rain and humid 85-90F celcius to be "warm", but like in Bromo/Dieng highland people say "hot in the day" due to the very strong sun despite of it only being 50-60F with 45-50F dewpoint.

you can notice it by comparing room temperature without AC. virtually no difference between Bandung and Pekanbaru despite Bandung averages 4-5C cooler

i barely felt cooler at Lembang, 10am 21C with clear skies than Pekanbaru's clear skies with 31C.

Last edited by divisionbyzero0; 11-20-2015 at 08:03 PM..

Old 11-20-2015, 08:00 PM

11,490 posts, read 10,297,318 times
I wonder what the thermometer would read in a sunny Vostok Station day (if you were to put it in the sun).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather