Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 12:15 AM

914 posts, read 2,103,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
In this thread -

Cold/mild lovers saying heat has a bad effect on people's temper.
Heat lovers (inc. myself) saying the opposite.

Boring, boring, boring.
It's human nature to experience mood irritation and aggravation when it's hot, hence the word hot-tempered. Why do you think aggression is associated with hot, while peace and serenity with cold. Cold and cloudy conditions usually make one feel more calm, downcast, and maybe depressed (using heat lovers biased terminology). Calmness and depression would make people too lethargic to display anger. Now do you understand why heat can fuel anger while cold does the job of mitigating it. It's easier to be in a bad mood when you are sweating, itching, smelly, and overall uncomfortable.
If the heat makes you more temperamental, just admit it. No big deal. Your preference for heat is not discredited if you experience the moody and snappy feeling associated with hot weather, because that's how the body works. If you can come up with such a mood as cold-temper, then I will raise both hands to you.

Last edited by Kaul; 02-22-2012 at 12:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 12:29 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,560,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
It's human nature to experience mood irritation and aggravation when it's hot, hence the word hot-tempered. Why do you think aggression is associated with hot, while peace and serenity with cold. Cold and cloudy conditions usually make one feel more calm and maybe depressed (using heat lovers biased terminology). Calmness and depression would make people too lethargic to display anger. Now do you understand why heat can fuel anger while cold does the job of mitigating it. It's easier to be in a bad mood when you are sweating, itching, smelly, and overall uncomfortable.
Ah, I was starting to miss your generalizations on "human nature" based on your own preferences. Well, I guess millions (if not billions, but let's just say millions) of people like me, including around half of this forum, who get the opposite feeling, are all undercover aliens

Well, if you want to talk about terminology. When someone is warm, it means they are friendly and kind. Conversely, someone cold is unpleasantly insensate, lacks sympathy and enthusiasm.

So much for your big linguistic argument

Old 02-22-2012, 12:59 AM

914 posts, read 2,103,837 times
Quote:
Ah, I was starting to miss your generalizations on "human nature" based on your own preferences. Well, I guess millions (if not billions, but let's just say millions) of people like me, including around half of this forum, who get the opposite feeling, are all undercover aliens

Well, if you want to talk about terminology. When someone is warm, it means they are friendly and kind. Conversely, someone cold is unpleasantly insensate, lacks sympathy and enthusiasm.

So much for your big linguistic argument
friendly, kind, or unsympathetic are personality traits, not mood, and cannot influenced by weather conditions. LOL

So much for your attempt to sound smart with a silly, invalid counterargument. LOL

Old 02-22-2012, 01:04 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,560,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
friendly, kind, or unsympathetic are personality traits, not mood, and cannot influenced by weather conditions. LOL

So much for your attempt to sound smart with a silly, invalid counterargument. LOL
And why exactly is it invalid for personality traits while being absolutely valid for mood ? The whole point of this thread is to discuss it, that's what you have to prove, not pass it as an universal truth.

You're using English vocabulary to prove a point about human nature, I'm answering you on the same level to show you that what you said was irrelevant.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:05 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,587,584 times
I do find myself getting more quick-tempered in extreme heat usually when its over 38C / 100F+ especially if its an extended heatwave, I'm sure climate does have some effect on temperament and the form of different cultures though its hard to quantify or determine the extent of its influence. Cold weather doesn't make me edgy like heat does, I'm probably not a heat fanatic but overall I'm warm-leaning

Interestingly there seems to be a link between riots and higher than average temperatures.

'The social impacts of heatwaves'
http://publications.environment-agen...07BNCW-E-E.pdf

Last edited by sulkiercupid; 02-22-2012 at 06:19 AM..

Old 02-22-2012, 07:55 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
I think of heat as more drowsy inducing rather than inducing irritability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
I do find myself getting more quick-tempered in extreme heat usually when its over 38C / 100F+ especially if its an extended heatwave
That's a good deal hotter than what I think of as "heat".

Old 02-22-2012, 07:57 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
In this thread -

Cold/mild lovers saying heat has a bad effect on people's temper.
Heat lovers (inc. myself) saying the opposite.

Boring, boring, boring.
I would group the mild lovers with the cold haters rather than the heat lovers.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:05 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I would group the mild lovers with the cold haters rather than the heat lovers.
I would also describe them more as that myself, but there are many mild-lovers (Sophie for example) that are also heat-haters. What one loves and what one hates can lead to differing results on the spectrum .

Old 02-22-2012, 03:47 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,223,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
It is my experience that heat worsens tempers and increases irritability; I've noticed increased aggression, speeding, and jerking on the roads for instance. It also brings out the riff-raff. Cold weather keeps down the vermin, human and otherwise.

Other than that I don't think weather or climate dictates temperament at all, if you're talking about the general population. Acclimatization also plays a role but not as much as some think. There's also the matter of specific groups such as ski bunnies and the solar-charged which will be affected by certain weather and climates, but such effects are distinct from the aggregate population.
I agree-the higher than average violent crime rate in the Deep South and Florida in particular might have something to do with the heat and endless summers. The heat and humidity are bad enough, but it's the sheer number of uncomfortable days that is the kicker.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
I agree-the higher than average violent crime rate in the Deep South and Florida in particular might have something to do with the heat and endless summers. The heat and humidity are bad enough, but it's the sheer number of uncomfortable days that is the kicker.
The best way to check if one could find violent crime rate by season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather