Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 03:47 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,362,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
You don't have to go far north of Perth (which is at the southern end of the Western Australia coast) to get climates that are very much warmer than anywhere in SoCal in winter, not to mention with vastly warmer SSTs, hotter summers, more sun and less rain. So I guess this now means you prefer the climate of Western Australia. No? Gee, I wonder why?

The comparison was between Perth and LA/SOCAL was it not;

LA gets less rain…
LA is warmer in winter…
What don’t you understand…

...and what is north of Perth? Scrub land. No thanks I'll take the CA coast ANYDAY!!

You are so jealous of the USA …and it shows in the venom of every post you make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 04:12 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I’ve never been to the Mediterranean zone of western Australia…however I have been on several long trips to the Mediterranean Cs zone in California since it is in my own country. I would have to agree...cs California is hard to beat.

and the resort and lifestyle issue is far better in CA than anywhere in Australia…
That's a bold statement since you've never been to Australia.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:54 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
I find much of the immediate coast of California too cool for my liking - I really wouldn't want to live in San Francisco, let alone somewhere like Crescent City where there are no real summers. I'd happily take the climate of La Jolla or Long Beach, because at least they get some decent warmth (Santa Monica less so because of local topography and the sea-breeze).

Obviously Australia's coastline is too big. Southern California is like SW WA with milder conditions in both winter and summer, while the central and northern coast is a bit like coastal Victoria and Tasmania but even cooler in the summer.

I think south of Santa Barbara I'd take the California climate, north of that I'd go for southern or eastern Australia. I actually quite like the coastal fog. But obviously water temps are a big factor which would make somewhere like Margaret River much more preferable for water activities.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
The comparison was between Perth and LA/SOCAL was it not;

LA gets less rain…
LA is warmer in winter…

...and what is north of Perth? Scrub land. No thanks I'll take the CA coast ANYDAY!!

You are so jealous of the USA …and it shows in the venom of every post you make.
SW WA is definitely more boring than SoCal, but let's stick to comparing climates.

Actually during most of my stay in SoCal the weather was absurdly perfect - none of the heatwave type conditions you'd expect of summer in Perth. The most oppressive heat I felt was in the South and the East.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:39 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,068,226 times
Quote:
LA gets less rain…
LA is warmer in winter…
You've said many times that your main criteria for a evaluating a climate are summer heat, sunshine and SSTs.

Perth has hotter summers than LA / SD, similar (or slightly higher) sunshine and much higher SSTs.

Now all of a sudden your main concerns are winter temps and rainfall! Winter in Perth has virtually the same temps as SoCal. The only part you got right is that Perth is rainier (which some would regard as an advantage).

I'm still waiting for you to address the "lifestyle" issue.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:07 AM

Quote:
You've said many times that your main criteria for a evaluating a climate are summer heat, sunshine and SSTs.

Perth has hotter summers than LA / SD, similar (or slightly higher) sunshine and much higher SSTs.

Now all of a sudden your main concerns are winter temps and rainfall! Winter in Perth has virtually the same temps as SoCal. The only part you got right is that Perth is rainier (which some would regard as an advantage).

I'm still waiting for you to address the "lifestyle" issue.
The water off Perth isn't that warm, only slightly warmer than the water off San Diego.

LA is actually more like Geraldton in terms of winter conditions, with warmer days, more sun, and the possibility of hot weather (32C/90F) in winter that Perth does not get.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The water off Perth isn't that warm, only slightly warmer than the water off San Diego.
Perth's SST is 3 C warmer than SD in summer and 4 C warmer in winter. That's about the difference between Brisbane and Cairns. Hardly "only slightly warmer":

http://www.worldclimateguide.co.uk/c...andiego-ca.php

http://www.worldclimateguide.co.uk/c...alia/perth.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
LA is actually more like Geraldton in terms of winter conditions, with warmer days, more sun, and the possibility of hot weather (32C/90F) in winter that Perth does not get.
Let's not overstate the difference in winter temps. Take your pick of climates around LA: Climate of the Los Angeles Basin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Winters lows are around 7 - 10 C while highs are about 18 - 20 C. Compare to Perth: Climate statistics for Australian locations

The difference is marginal.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:39 AM

497 posts, read 983,474 times
Quote:
One of the things I really loved about Mediterranean coastal southern California, is that well, it looks like the southern Mediterranean – lol. The Spanish style architecture, the red tiles roofs, the palms…etc really gave the area that old world southern Mediterranean feel. I’ve been told by seasoned travelers (and this is always a risky way to judge anywhere) that Perth and Cs Australia by comparison seems to have a different look – newer and more cookie cutter in urban areas…and more rustic (but not really Mediterranean looking ) in outlaying areas. Granted, I would likely pick LA, Huntington Beach, San Diego…etc over Perth anyway, since they are warmer in winter and get less rain annually (never too many sunny days for me), and the resort and lifestyle issue is far better in CA than anywhere in Australia…but that old world look of Cs California is what I really like.

I have few pics of my trips to SOCAL on my hard drive - but here is one of my favorite pics from Santa Barbara that show what I mean:
I like Spanish-style architecture too and wish there was more in Australia, but I think the US was/is always going to have more because of the previous Spanish settlements and the greater appreciation Americans have for that look.

Australians aren't as interested in that stuff and usually just go with what's contemporary at the time, and there's no places in Australia (like CA) where exotic architecture, palms trees, etc are part of the reason why a person moves there. There aren't any parts of the country where people go expecting to see a certain style, so city planners, developers, etc. just do everything in a style that is current at the time.

There is Spanish style architecture here, quite a lot in some parts (built when the style was fashionable), but it's not something Australians get excited over.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:38 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,362,777 times
Quote:
Perth's SST is 3 C warmer than SD in summer and 4 C warmer in winter. That's about the difference between Brisbane and Cairns. Hardly "only slightly warmer":

http://www.worldclimateguide.co.uk/c...andiego-ca.php

http://www.worldclimateguide.co.uk/c...alia/perth.php

Let's not overstate the difference in winter temps. Take your pick of climates around LA: Climate of the Los Angeles Basin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Winters lows are around 7 - 10 C while highs are about 18 - 20 C. Compare to Perth: Climate statistics for Australian locations

The difference is marginal.
Now you’re even arguing that you’re right with someone WHO LIVES IN PERTH!!

LA is warmer than Perth...
LA gets less rain than Perth...

Last edited by nei; 02-28-2012 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: personal attack; trolling

Old 02-28-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Now you’re even arguing that you’re right with someone WHO LIVES IN PERTH!!

LA is warmer than Perth...
LA gets less rain than Perth...
Oh, how I wish I could have seen the unedited version of this post!

You haven't addressed any of the points I've raised. Again, the only part you get right is Perth's higher rainfall -- by every other criterion one would expect you to favour Perth. The facts are there in black and white.

Last edited by nei; 02-28-2012 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: personal attack; you get an edit, too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather