Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 07:20 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
I'd hardly consider the UK to be variable. Perhaps the monotonous averages, which enable Octobers to be warmer than Julys for instance, make it appear that way, but the weather there nearly always stays tightly close to the average. Anything more than 5 degrees above or below is noteworthy, whereas here in North America it would be considered unusually close to the norm if that's all we ever got. The U.K.'s variability is spectacularly lacking compared to what I'd consider a variable climate, the High Plains of the U.S. Even parts of the Southeastern U.S. have bigger winter swings than England has.
We discussed in some other threads that my town in New England has a similar month-to-month variability as the UK. Maybe not applicable to the rest of the US, but I think the UK deserves the label variable.

//www.city-data.com/forum/22887129-post9.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/23004151-post26.html

There's not a whole lot of difference in most and least extreme months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 07:50 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
I'd hardly consider the UK to be variable. Perhaps the monotonous averages, which enable Octobers to be warmer than Julys for instance, make it appear that way, but the weather there nearly always stays tightly close to the average. Anything more than 5 degrees above or below is noteworthy, whereas here in North America it would be considered unusually close to the norm if that's all we ever got. The U.K.'s variability is spectacularly lacking compared to what I'd consider a variable climate, the High Plains of the U.S. Even parts of the Southeastern U.S. have bigger winter swings than England has.

I also agree about the differences in approach between seeking out and appreciating weather we like, and seeking out and enjoying extreme weather of any kind.
The UK is an island. North America is a continent. There ends the comparison.

A fair comparison would be Ireland, or New Zealand. Ireland despite being right next to the UK is remarkably non-variable and is never as hot or as cold as the UK

Old 02-26-2012, 11:18 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post

A fair comparison would be Ireland, or New Zealand. Ireland despite being right next to the UK is remarkably non-variable and is never as hot or as cold as the UK
I often ask UK immigrants about weather and climate in the UK. Variability doesn't seem to be regarded as much of a feature of the climate there. Sometimes when I've pointed out (or tried to) seasonal variation over there, I get the old "you've never been there , you can't understand " line- the worst weather nerd slap down possible imho.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:37 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Really? Most people in the UK joke that we get four seasons in one day or that the weather is unreliable.. in Scotland there's a saying 'don't like the weather? Wait a minute, it will change', I believe that's a common saying in many countries though, but still.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:14 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Really? Most people in the UK joke that we get four seasons in one day or that the weather is unreliable.. in Scotland there's a saying 'don't like the weather? Wait a minute, it will change', I believe that's a common saying in many countries though, but still.
I was able to put that to a Scotsman just now. He said that unreliable weather was very reliable (he finds that very funny). He doesn't think of it as variation though.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:34 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,998,619 times
Quote:
Precisely the point, because continental interiors are usually variable, and islands in the ocean are usually not .

Quote:
I agree, if we're talking about variability within maritime climates, not whether a place is actually variable or not. I apply standards as it relates to the whole planet, universally not relatively. The United Kingdom is variable as far as maritime climates go, I will admit. So let's leave it at that.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:17 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
JFK Airport (Queens/NYC/Long Island) dips below freezing from December 16th through March 10th. So there's about 2.75 months of lows averaging below freezing.

We bottom out at 27/28-ish (-2.5°C) so it's not that far below freezing.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:56 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,288,056 times
Our average low drops below freezing October 22nd and rises above freezing April 16th. That's just shy of six months.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:55 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,618,819 times
Now that is truly six months of winter. So many people claim the upper midwest has months and months of freezing weather, not exactly the case! However, if you don't like the cold could seem like too long or forever!

Old 02-26-2012, 05:15 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,998,619 times
Well, for some people an average of 35, 40, or 45 is enough to make them miserable. That doesn't make it into real cold or a winter, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather