Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 05:17 PM

83,498 posts, read 75,223,829 times

Advertisements

Case in point why the records we have dont tell the whole story and partly comical.

There is a cell thats HOVERING over this one spot in Rockland and Westchester County for the past 2 hours. Litterly has not moved. Check out the radar if you can.

Unconfirmed report of 4 inches of rain in the last 1.5hrs.

A whole month of rain in less than 2 hours. But unfortunetly its local and main NWS stations wont show this in the records.

Point is, so many things have happened in the past that we're unaware of and stuff that could all be normal.

Flash Flood Warning Posted there.

Last edited by Cambium; 05-09-2012 at 05:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 05:35 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,408,010 times
BLOODY CAPE for the storms has been downgraded YET AGAIN, so we will miss out on thunderstorms as per bloody usual, while the midlands gets pounded once again. Sick of this, roll on 2013.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:42 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,568,172 times
Looks like Lincolnshire and East Yorkshire will have all the storms today - as per usual. Cloudy here and temperature below 10C, not far away it's 18C - I was in the prime location yesterday but now it's look disappointing.. again. It's really very hard to get a storm here.. I don't know why. Weather is such a frustrating hobby, eh?

Old 05-10-2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Looks like Lincolnshire and East Yorkshire will have all the storms today - as per usual. Cloudy here and temperature below 10C, not far away it's 18C - I was in the prime location yesterday but now it's look disappointing.. again. It's really very hard to get a storm here.. I don't know why. Weather is such a frustrating hobby, eh?
Yes it is. The blob of rain currently over SW England is going to move NE and head to all the usual places, turning into big thunderstorms as they make use of the surface heating further inland, further east.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:59 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,517,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
BLOODY CAPE for the storms has been downgraded YET AGAIN, so we will miss out on thunderstorms as per bloody usual, while the midlands gets pounded once again. Sick of this, roll on 2013.
How far are the midlands from your location? If I were desperate to catch some storms as you, it'd be time to play hooky from work and do some old-fashioned storm-chasing...lol.

Better yet, you might want to start planning that trip to Florida soon - peak thunderstorm season will be cranking up there in a month or so.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:17 AM

I'm probably feeling as angry as Weatherfan2 at the moment - so much so that I feel a hatred for this climate right now. Well, this location anyway. Roll on winter 2012/2013

Old 05-10-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
How far are the midlands from your location? If I were desperate to catch some storms as you, it'd be time to play hooky from work and do some old-fashioned storm-chasing...lol.

Better yet, you might want to start planning that trip to Florida soon - peak thunderstorm season will be cranking up there in a month or so.
It's only about 10-20 miles south/south east of here, but all the storms start in SW England or the West midlands and drift east/north east, leaving us in the NW corner with nothing.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:22 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,994,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Yes it is. The blob of rain currently over SW England is going to move NE and head to all the usual places, turning into big thunderstorms as they make use of the surface heating further inland, further east.
Ah, the joys of living in an interior .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I'm probably feeling as angry as Weatherfan2 at the moment - so much so that I feel a hatred for this climate right now. Well, this location anyway. Roll on winter 2012/2013
Well, you do share his love of thunderstorms, so that's no surprise. I agree about rolling on the winter of 2013. I for one hope you all (UK, Atlanta, etc.) have a real winter for a change. Something that would actually qualify as a winter, like no above-freezing temperatures, big snows, and occasional bitter cold snaps. Of course the media would describe it as "unrelentingly brutal". Let's face it - if the media called 4 weeks (not months, weeks) of snow and just one cold snap in the Northeast U.S. the "neverending winter", what would they call a real winter?

Old 05-10-2012, 08:26 AM

Sadly going an entire winter without above freezing temperatures is definitely impossible in the UK! There have been winters in the past though with snow cover for 3 months continuously. I hope to see something like that. Such winters are 1 in 1000 year events apparently though

Old 05-10-2012, 09:15 AM

647 posts, read 796,808 times
Today's picture of city's suburb, looks like a summer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather