Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 09:17 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Most of the snow fell in Montana and from what I saw rain/snow line got down as far as about 3400 but obviously melted quicker there.
The highest "report" I seen so far is 12" but I know 2 feet was forecasted. If we can get some names of some high peaks where the snow set up, we can try to find out how much snow fell above 7000 feet.

Recent Snowfall and Snow Depth Maps | Montana 3-Day Snowfall
So the rainstorms in Washington and Oregon produced no snow higher up in the local mountains?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 09:20 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I remember someone who moved to Australia telling me they rarely use heat there so sometimes it gets rather cool inside. And in general, they seemed less wasteful in their heat and A/C usage than Americans.
To be fair, it's easier to get away with much less heat in Australia than North America.

If I lived there, I'd probably be able to get by with minimal to no heat in some parts.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:24 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
To be fair, it's easier to get away with much less heat in Australia than North America.

If I lived there, I'd probably be able to get by with minimal to no heat in some parts.
What I meant was that they didn't turn on their heat or A/C at temperatures where Americans would. Though, Australian houses are probably poorly insulated with nothing more than electric space heaters so heat won't work as well.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:27 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
I wonder if thermostat control systems are more or less common in most developed countries in the world (such as in places like Australia) as they are in the United States and Canada.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:28 AM

And Boston is in its own cool weather bubble, as is common in spring. High of 72°F forecast today; only one day was warmer than mid 70s (Saturday — 86°F).

Montauk on the eastern tip of Long Island has a high 76°F forecast; yesterday reached 74°F, Saturday 79°F. Local effect of the Atlantic Ocean is impressive.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:14 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,517,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Wow I would probably move if I ever had to live with someone who sets the heating at 77°F. I have a friend who has his appartment heated at 80°F. That's nasty when you arrive inside with your winter clothes still on, and a bit of an extravagance.
Btw it's 77°F in my room right now, which is about the average summer nighttime temp. That's a good sleeping temp, even if 20°F warmer than ideal.
Man, I'd die if I had to go into a place that was heated to 80 F in the winter, especially if I couldn't put on shorts and a t-shirt - I'd be opening a window for sure...lol. Same thing with car heat - I rarely use it in winter, as I usually have warmer clothes on anyhow. I tend to toss a fit if someone else runs the heat on high inside the car - it feels as if I can't breathe...lol.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Man, I'd die if I had to go into a place that was heated to 80 F in the winter, especially if I couldn't put on shorts and a t-shirt - I'd be opening a window for sure...lol. Same thing with car heat - I rarely use it in winter, as I usually have warmer clothes on anyhow. I tend to toss a fit if someone else runs the heat on high inside the car - it feels as if I can't breathe...lol.
We used to open windows in the winter regularly in college dorms.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:25 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
There is also the matter of the sun heating up the car's interior through the glass. Oftentimes in moderately cold weather my car heats up enough with just sunlight. I like to "drive chilly" anyway but the heating is noticeable. That heating, which is a pain in the neck in warm to hot weather, turns into a comfortable advantage in cold weather. As for the car heat I put it on at the same frequency that you do.

Come to think of it, in cool weather I actually have the windows open half the time. The breeze is fantastic as long as it isn't raining. The most extreme incident of that to date was one freeway drive when it was in the 30's and sunny with ground frost off the side of the road. I had my windows open, and I can tell you that there is nothing like a cool, dry 80 mph wind blowing on one's head. I could only keep that up for a few minutes, but it remains the highest wind speed of any kind I have experienced. Excluding artificial winds on my head and arms only (car windows), the strongest winds I've been in were about 50 mph. All of my experience to date with strong winds, including rain/wind and snow/wind, has been awesome and thus it has not deterred and even confirmed my preference for wind and storminess.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:00 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,517,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
There is also the matter of the sun heating up the car's interior through the glass. Oftentimes in moderately cold weather my car heats up enough with just sunlight. I like to "drive chilly" anyway but the heating is noticeable. That heating, which is a pain in the neck in warm to hot weather, turns into a comfortable advantage in cold weather. As for the car heat I put it on at the same frequency that you do.

Come to think of it, in cool weather I actually have the windows open half the time. The breeze is fantastic as long as it isn't raining. The most extreme incident of that to date was one freeway drive when it was in the 30's and sunny with ground frost off the side of the road. I had my windows open, and I can tell you that there is nothing like a cool, dry 80 mph wind blowing on one's head. I could only keep that up for a few minutes, but it remains the highest wind speed of any kind I have experienced. Excluding artificial winds on my head and arms only (car windows), the strongest winds I've been in were about 50 mph. All of my experience to date with strong winds, including rain/wind and snow/wind, has been awesome and thus it has not deterred and even confirmed my preference for wind and storminess.
So you've never done one of those "hurricane booths" they have at the mall? For a couple bucks, you get to be blasted with winds of 78 mph, blowing down from above inside a round tube - and man, that is windy!

I've always loved high winds myself - I love being outside in a gale - those tropical storms I got to experience in south Florida were a blast. Max winds experienced were about 60 mph, nothing to sneeze at if you're in the path of the full gale - it actually takes effort to remain standing.

What I've yet to experience is a steady 40-50 mph gale in the middle of a terrific blizzard, with all that snow blowing sideways in a total white-out. I dream of being able to experience that.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:25 AM

559 posts, read 747,819 times
Temperature right now is 83 F with a dew point of 71 F I can barely breathe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather