Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2012, 11:21 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,372,767 times

Advertisements

Dew point down to 19°F with a strong north wind; it will be interesting to see how far it drops tonight. Much of the northeast and midwest has a freeze warning; though we don't because our growing season hasn't really begun.

Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog : Hard freeze likely to significantly damage Midwest fruit trees : Weather Underground
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 11:34 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,007,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
All the places that are the hottest at the moment are usually the places that are coldest in winter.. come summer though..
What's the phenomenon/climactic explanation that explains the "hot, dry spring is followed by cool wet, summer" in the UK that I'm hearing about on the forum here?

That sounds pretty interesting to me, because from a North American perspective, it seems like it's hard to predict whether being above average one season will be "balanced out" by having below-normal come back at you the season right after. It seems in many North American climates, you can't make good bets on say, what the following summer or winter will be like based on whatever happened previously in the year.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:38 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,007,190 times
Nonetheless people in the US and Canada (and no doubt a lot of places) still seem to say things like "this (whatever spell of "good weather" arrives) is too good to last -- I bet we'll pay for it next year (season) or whatever!"

I don't know if that's human nature (expecting that there's some "catch" to pleasant unseasonable weather) or justified by certain real phenomenon at least by weather/climate patterns.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:41 AM

22,118 posts, read 29,540,794 times
In general there is no definite proof that patterns exist, or that one seasons influences another, but in the UK most warm, dry springs are usually followed by poor summers.

Summer 2007 had the warmest, driest April on record followed by the wettest summer on record (or one of the wettest)

Summer 2008 had the warmest May on record followed by a very wet June, July and August.

The only exception I can think of is 2003 when March was very sunny and so was the following summer.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:42 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,393,657 times
Let's not forget 2011 as an obvious example, very warm March and record April followed by pathetic coldest summer in 23 years...

Old 03-26-2012, 11:44 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,372,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
What's the phenomenon/climactic explanation that explains the "hot, dry spring is followed by cool wet, summer" in the UK that I'm hearing about on the forum here?

That sounds pretty interesting to me, because from a North American perspective, it seems like it's hard to predict whether being above average one season will be "balanced out" by having below-normal come back at you the season right after. It seems in many North American climates, you can't make good bets on say, what the following summer or winter will be like based on whatever happened previously in the year.
You can do a correlation. For at least one New England weather station, I looked at the correlation between January and February to the next March and April. The correlation is very slightly positive but weak. Interestingly, if February is well above average there is a strong correlation for an above average March.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:44 AM

690 posts, read 1,200,552 times
1989 and 1990 iirc had good sunny springs AND summers in uk.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:51 AM

22,118 posts, read 29,540,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonAreaWeatherSummary View Post
1989 and 1990 iirc had good sunny springs AND summers in uk.
Not sure about further south but both summers in Leeds were not anything special. 34.4C in August 1990, but that was very short lived.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:26 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,303,351 times
If this is a damaging freeze it will be a total slap in the face, but I have a little faith that things should go smoothly, some trees started budding in January and are leafing/flowering now, if they managed to survive half of the winter (although it was mild) they should be able to handle a morning low of around 29-30 degrees.

I still hope it can manage to stay above freezing though.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:53 PM

5,580 posts, read 7,986,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
If this is a damaging freeze it will be a total slap in the face, but I have a little faith that things should go smoothly, some trees started budding in January and are leafing/flowering now, if they managed to survive half of the winter (although it was mild) they should be able to handle a morning low of around 29-30 degrees.

I still hope it can manage to stay above freezing though.
Vengeance will be mine *evil laugh* . Just kidding, but I view a freeze as a good retribution for the abomination of too-early blooming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather