Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 05:17 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
And maybe some rain in the warmer spots?
*evil laugh* There will only be snow, not rain. My plot to ensure that snow is the only form of precipitation is nearly complete .

Of course I'm kidding there. But it looks like one will either get a decent snow or little moisture at all. If I'm not mistaken your area doesn't do well in lake-effect-type events; most of the rain or snow from this system looks to come from the lakes.

I must say that for it to be not be in the cold season, that's a pretty healthy-looking LES/LEP event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 06:05 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
*evil laugh* There will only be snow, not rain. My plot to ensure that snow is the only form of precipitation is nearly complete .

Of course I'm kidding there. But it looks like one will either get a decent snow or little moisture at all. If I'm not mistaken your area doesn't do well in lake-effect-type events; most of the rain or snow from this system looks to come from the lakes.

I must say that for it to be not be in the cold season, that's a pretty healthy-looking LES/LEP event.
No, I'm too far away east for the lakes to have any effect. West of the Catskills / Hudson River Valley is where the lakes start having an effect, and truly large snowfalls normally only really occur with a few dozen miles of the lake; though I remember getting about 14" of snow in April 16ish 2007 maybe 50-60 miles south of Lake Ontario (when I lived in upstate NY). It was odd, cross country skiing in mid April. Dunno if that was lake effect though.

While I can't tell people not to post these, I think all of these spring snow posts are a bit silly. There's no sign any of these predicted snowfalls will be more than minimal (<1") except at high elevations. Buffalo's predicted to get less than 0.5" of snow followed by lake effect rain.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:43 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
And maybe some rain in the warmer spots?
lol. I just hope my garden isnt crying. At this rate I'll need to water them everyday.

Here's the latest GFS total precip all the way until the 20th. Incredible its breaking apart our next chance on the 15th.

Blues are an inch of liquid or less.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:50 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
We need a soaking for two or three days. Not flooding rains, but a good steady rain. I hate seeing beautiful trees get burned. I don't care if it's natural.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:27 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
We need a soaking for two or three days. Not flooding rains, but a good steady rain. I hate seeing beautiful trees get burned. I don't care if it's natural.
Are any of the forest fires that have been going on even natural?

At least from what I've read in the news, it seems like they were suspecting or investigating suspicious activity or the chance that someone is responsible.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Are any of the forest fires that have been going on even natural?

At least from what I've read in the news, it seems like they were suspecting or investigating suspicious activity or the chance that someone is responsible.
I'm sure most of the fires have been natural. I read today that there were 50 fires reported in NW New Jersey alone the past few days. There's also been fires in Staten Island (NYC) and South Jersey. The fires in South Jersey have been quite large. I certainly wouldn't put human actions off the table though.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:48 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I'm sure most of the fires have been natural. I read today that there were 50 fires reported in NW New Jersey alone the past few days. There's also been fires in Staten Island (NYC) and South Jersey. The fires in South Jersey have been quite large. I certainly wouldn't put human actions off the table though.
It kind of makes sense if that area is prone to fires naturally occurring. I remember learning about, when I was young, adaptations that the pines in the New Jersey Pine Barrens area have to the survival threat of fire -- something about how the Pitch pine's cones are normally closed and will open up in the extreme heat of a fire, to allow the seeds to scatter to survive if they land on a clear spot.

This scale of fire seems large though as you mention -- it's happening seemingly in a wide area.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:52 PM

559 posts, read 747,819 times
Forecasts seem to keep flip-flopping. They're saying it's going to be near 80 F again on Sunday.

10 Day Weather Forecast for Hackettstown - weather.com

Old 04-10-2012, 09:09 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
The first video shows the hail, tornadoes and funnels that happened on April 9th in northwestern Oklahoma near Woodward. The second video shows big hail falling in Woodward, itself, with some interesting activity on the side. Fortunately, the town didn't get hit by a tornado. The storms bypassed or died down before they reached my part of Oklahoma, fortunately. Slight chance of thunderstorms continue, until this weekend when chances go up again for severe activity.

April 9th, 2012 Woodward, Oklahoma Tornado and Large Hail - YouTube

04-09-12 Woodward, Ok Hail Storm Baseball Size - YouTube

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 04-10-2012 at 09:19 PM..

Old 04-10-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
It kind of makes sense if that area is prone to fires naturally occurring. I remember learning about, when I was young, adaptations that the pines in the New Jersey Pine Barrens area have to the survival threat of fire -- something about how the Pitch pine's cones are normally closed and will open up in the extreme heat of a fire, to allow the seeds to scatter to survive if they land on a clear spot.

This scale of fire seems large though as you mention -- it's happening seemingly in a wide area.
Yeah I think the one in the Pine Barrens was nearly 1,000 acres.

I would assume that the forest service does controlled burns from time to time to reduce the risk of wildfires, but I can't say for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather