U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you rate Canada for climate?
0 4 4.71%
1 9 10.59%
2 9 10.59%
3 11 12.94%
4 9 10.59%
5 5 5.88%
6 5 5.88%
7 12 14.12%
8 7 8.24%
9 8 9.41%
10 6 7.06%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 01:46 PM

5,593 posts, read 6,914,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
You said southern Ontario's winters are too warm for you. Yet you would give northern Scandinavia and the alaskan panhandle 10. even though these two places have warmer, if not equally comparable winters.
Southern Ontario's winters are too warm. You merely misunderstood my post. As the others said, I excluded the Panhandle and Aleutians, which I believe pretty much excludes anything that has a winter average higher than 30F. And I would like to clarify that when I referred to "Northern Scandinavia", I was actually thinking of "Interior Northern Scandinavia, as this poster suggested:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
That is exactly what I was referring to. So, to amend my original statement, I would say that I give a 10/10 to Alaska, ex-the Panhancle and Aleutians, and Interior Northern Scandinavia (the region from Oulu's latitude northward that is more than 50 miles from the coastline).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 01:57 PM

15,262 posts, read 14,929,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Southern Ontario's winters are too warm. You merely misunderstood my post. As the others said, I excluded the Panhandle and Aleutians, which I believe pretty much excludes anything that has a winter average higher than 30F. And I would like to clarify that when I referred to "Northern Scandinavia", I was actually thinking of "Interior Northern Scandinavia, as this poster suggested:

That is exactly what I was referring to. So, to amend my original statement, I would say that I give a 10/10 to Alaska, ex-the Panhancle and Aleutians, and Interior Northern Scandinavia (the region from Oulu's latitude northward that is more than 50 miles from the coastline).
How would you rate the Aleutians? Though it is generally mild, some places do receive a lot of snow, though I doubt it sticks around for long.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:27 PM

12,461 posts, read 11,413,396 times
All your previous lives must have been in the tropics.

Canada gets ribbed for being an ice box, but that isn't really the reality as the country is vast. The southern tier gets pretty good weather for 6 months. I would give Canada probably somewhere like a 4 rating overall, near the middle, but a tad below cause it is mostly colder than where I live now. That being said, the climate of Canada has given the world something amazing. Canada's mountains are stunning:

Old 03-02-2012, 03:03 PM

253 posts, read 650,684 times
I rated it 9

I don't like heat/tropics, so Canada is pretty good, summers are warm enough for me
But I'm not exactly a cold lover either,
I'm fine with temperatures a few degrees below freezing
but below -10c (15f) is abit chilly for me
Northern Canada would be abit tough in winter but still ok

Comparing Canada to USA....
IMO, southern BC coast is similiar to PNW coast
Warmest interior BC is similiar to US northern intermountain west
(eastern WA, Idaho, western MT, even higher elevation northern NV, UT)
Southern Alberta, SW Sask are similiar to eastern MT, parts of
Wyoming and even Colorado above 7000')
SE Sask and southern Manitoba is like ND, northern MN
SW Ontario is like US Midwest
Southern Quebec is similiar to northern New England

So if you like those "northern" US climates,
you'll also enjoy the not so different Canadian climates

What Canada IS missing is it has no climates like US South
and low elevation US desert southwest
Good news is..... I don't like either!
Sure US south has "mild" winters but ....I HATE their summers
way too hot and humid... you couldn't pay me to live there
Same with desert SW ....May-Sept it's like being in an oven

Also hotter climates have more unpleasant things you have to put up with
like poisonous snakes and spiders ....I like Australia but it has some of deadliest snakes and spiders in the world! Also US south has "fire ants" that I've heard can inflict alot of pain

Only US climate I wish Canada had is warm mediterranean (Csa)
BC's gulf islands and Victoria IMO have a "cool" med climate (Csb)
but no southern California climate or a climate like Nice, France

Now comparing Canada with Europe....
Well, IMO Canada does pretty good,
IMO better than most of northern Europe,
Canada tends to have warmer summers and more sunshine,
and if you want the UK's "mildness", well there's coastal BC

So I give it a 9 ....10 if it had an area with a "riviera" med climate.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:20 PM

933 posts, read 1,836,195 times
whenever the word northern scandanavia is mentioned, the only places that come to my mind are Tromso and Hammerfest, but those are the largest cities anyway

Old 03-02-2012, 03:26 PM

22,254 posts, read 25,640,724 times
Tromso and Hammerfest are coastal cities in Norway. Interior northern Scandinavia can get seriously cold.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:35 PM

12,677 posts, read 12,475,311 times
I went in the middle of the road, if I had to move to Canada, and could choose my place, I'd find a suitable place. At least it has variety in its climates, rather than one boring type with minimal temperature swings.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:29 PM

4,445 posts, read 9,189,647 times
Southern Canada is really the only part of the country that is inhabitable IMO. There is not a lot of difference between southern Canada stations (Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal…etc) and those over the national line in the USA. There are some differences in seasonal temps/precip, but they are of a small degree. So southern Canada, while too cold from maybe November to March, is otherwise fine much of the rest of the year. Northern Canada is not very diserable at all –a frozen, barren, wasteland of bitter cold, weak solar angles, stunted vegatation (or no vegation), and depressing blustry weather. Only grim death could be worse - lol.

The tough part is that there is not much variation or different type of climates in Canada. In the main, only cold Temperate (Dfb), temperate oceanic (Do), and sub polar (E) climates prevail. Worse, Canadians have no mild winter climates they can flee to when the long, long northern winters come storming in. In the USA, mild, sunny, warm winter, coastal resort style climates like Miami, Los Angles, Daytona Beach, Santa Barbara, Phoenix...etc are spread across the whole country. Yet, Candinas must flee their country for 1/3 of the year to find any real warm weather. Even in Europe, one can flee to the Mediterranean and find fairly mild winter conditions

Otherwise, I would give Canada a 4. Toronto would be my choice, if for nothing else...a modestly lower latitude, so the solar angle most of the year would be pleasant.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:37 PM

22,254 posts, read 25,640,724 times
Remember, Europe is not a country!

Old 03-02-2012, 04:43 PM

15,262 posts, read 14,929,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Remember, Europe is not a country!
But the EU as a whole is a better comparison in size to the US and Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or