Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the Climate
A 4 18.18%
B 5 22.73%
C 2 9.09%
D 3 13.64%
E 2 9.09%
F 6 27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 01:51 AM

914 posts, read 2,104,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
You must have really deficient visual perceptions to make a confusion between alpine tropical landscapes and this crappy computer-generated picture...unless that's your best attempt at proving that Alaska and other subarctic environments are this planet's sole paradise
Here are some real mountains in the tropical jungle, still look ugly as hell compared to those snow-covered ones, in my opinion of course.

How about a glimpse of majestic Denali (Mt. Mckinley), since we are rating McKinley Park

Last edited by Kaul; 03-08-2012 at 02:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 01:59 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
I love palm trees though. I used to be obsessed with palm trees as a child, and the way they would blow in the wind, especially in hurricanes.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:59 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
This tussle over palm trees and jungle mountains versus snowcapped mountains is a bit silly. It's a matter of taste. For a true comparison, though, here's a picture of Kilimanjaro. Not exactly comparable, since there is some snow cover on top, but it is mostly snow-free. This is a view of another mountain, Cerro Pintado (Venezuela).

I find the snow-covered mountains, continental and subarctic landscapes to be far more beautiful than anything I've seen from the tropics. To be sure there are some prettier areas of lush landscapes (even if this is more of a temperate rainforest thing), but I agree with Kaul that there is no comparison. Again, this is a matter of taste, and one of our primary purposes here is to explore and discuss these tastes.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:28 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,562,736 times
Hey people, Denali is gorgeous. I never said the opposite I didn't say that I am a big fan of tropical mountains either.

What I said is :
1) IMO tropical landscapes are by far the most beautiful (like the beach one I posted)
2) Kaul's first picture (the computer generated one) was silly and irrelevant

You do have a point, snow-capped mountains are beautiful : I get to see them almost daily in winter, as Nice is surrounded by mountains of varying height and distance. However I like them only from an aesthetic point of view and strongly dislike the climate they host. You do also have a point : tropical mountains aren't that appealing though some of them are far from ugly.
Actually, I don't like mountains that much

However in my taste, nothing can beat a tropical coast.

I am also very fond of Mediterranean landscapes. A close second for me.

Sorry for deviating from topic. We should create a specific thread about landscapes.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:23 AM

914 posts, read 2,104,266 times
a tropical beach with palm trees is nowhere as visually breathtaking as a, let's say, a subarctic beach lined with pine trees and conifers, such as this one in Alaska. Can you imagine how pretty this scenery would look in the winter when those trees get blanketed with snow and ice crystals. Moreover, there might even be a sight of an Aurora dancing on the dreamy, starry sky overhead. I bet those hideous tropical beaches are probably envying the beauty of their subarctic cousins, and also crying in jealousy for the Northern Lights will never pay them a visit.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:29 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,562,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
I bet those hideous tropical beaches are probably envying the beauty of their subarctic cousins, and also crying in jealousy for the Northern Lights will never pay them a visit.
Judging by their global popularity, I'd say the opposite, namely that the subartic places you refer to are like the fat, ugly sister of the hot girl everyone is chasing; with their weak sunlight, hostile climate and cold waters

Old 03-08-2012, 09:37 AM

The term overrated springs to mind

Old 03-08-2012, 09:40 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
How about a glimpse of majestic Denali (Mt. Mckinley), since we are rating McKinley Park

That's a great view; but the chances of seeing such a view unobstructed by clouds is low.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:46 AM

That's like saying seeing mountain peaks in England is low because it's so cloudy.. but really, it isn't.

I'd still rather have this, then tropical scenery.. cloud or not. At the end of the day it's preference. There's no point in arguing because obviously we're all stuck to our opinion and it ain't gonna change.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:54 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
That's like saying seeing mountain peaks in England is low because it's so cloudy.. but really, it isn't.
I've been near large mountains were it was cloudy enough you couldn't there was a big mountain nearby. If that's the usual weather, it's a bit harder to appreciate the scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather