Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 05:28 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,065,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Permanent La Nina = permanent hell for many.
This is true. When I recall the most recent summer and that of '09-'10 I shudder. But I have very fond memories of '08-'09 and '10-'11.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 05:48 PM

2,397 posts, read 3,349,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Thick winter attire when it's 22 degrees Celsius!? Lol, you're like Flight Simmer, but you prefer wet and cloudy.

I think North West Europe is too cold for you though. 22C is the typical summer temperature here.
I am not too fussed about the temperatures as long as there is no icy easterly wind blowing!.
All I care about is that I get to see regular bouts of cloudy and rainy/showery weather .
Besides one of my best mates lives in Berlin (moved there from here a few years ago) so my five - week vacation is a perfect opportunity to catch up with him

Old 05-15-2012, 05:59 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
^^

I could tolerate more rain and hours of sunless weather in Australia
as long as the temperatures remain 3-5 C (6-9 F) above average.

Even in Townsville, even in the Wet, I usually hate the coolness of the rain.
Also being sunless and dry is also remarkably cooler than dry and sunny for the same temperature.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:04 PM

3,187 posts, read 4,585,975 times
Low of 8.3C here this morning which is the lowest since October last year, a nice heavy dew as well. Models aren't promising much on the rain front at this stage.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:24 PM

2,397 posts, read 3,349,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Permanent La Nina = permanent hell for many.
Subjective of course. In Australia's case it's a pure live saver but you wouldn't understand unless you live/d in the south or west of the South Island or on the east coast of Australia

Old 05-15-2012, 07:16 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Subjective of course. In Australia's case it's a pure live saver but you wouldn't understand unless you live/d in the south or west of the South Island or on the east coast of Australia
I have lived in the south/west of the South Island. Of course La Nina generally makes conditions more benign there for those who want more sun and less rain, but it's hardly a lifesaver.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:05 AM

473 posts, read 666,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
What is the coldest temperature you get during an average winter? You didn't have your fire going?
About -4C is the coldest it gets in an average winter: Lowest Temperature - 041522 - Bureau of Meteorology
Unfortunately, the other people in my house never want to heat the house, even though they always turn the a/c on the moment it reaches 25C.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:01 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,065,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by george960 View Post
About -4C is the coldest it gets in an average winter: Lowest Temperature - 041522 - Bureau of Meteorology
Unfortunately, the other people in my house never want to heat the house, even though they always turn the a/c on the moment it reaches 25C.
That's impressively cool for 27 S even given the slight elevation. Christchurch bottoms out at -3 or -4 most years.

Also interesting that people who live in a generally warm climate find 25 C uncomfortably hot.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:26 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by george960 View Post
I might keep the windows open in my bedroom if other people in my house if others are turning the A/C on pointlessly and/or refuse to contribute to the electric bill.

Depends on the living situation (harder to do if it's family). But living with someone who insists on the A/C too much can be very annoying.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:36 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,952,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
That's impressively cool for 27 S even given the slight elevation. Christchurch bottoms out at -3 or -4 most years.

Also interesting that people who live in a generally warm climate find 25 C uncomfortably hot.
True. Even Melbourne pretty much never drops below 0C, atleast in the city centre and bayside suburbs. Outer inland suburbs might get to -1C, but if it occurs, it is usually only once or twice a year.

Brisbane's outer western suburbs actually get much harder frosts with temps as low as -4C likely at least once a year, and they get a handful of nights under 0C. Even Sydney's inland suburbs get colder than Melbourne's suburbs with a few sub-zero nights a year. In Melbourne, the temp rarely drops below zero in the metro area, and if it does, it is usually by only a few tenths of a degree and once or twice a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather