Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate shold win?
Singapore 22 23.40%
San Diego 72 76.60%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 03:55 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
I don't mind moderate amounts of humidity for short periods of time. For a time, it feels kind of nice, like an invisible blanket wrapped around you. But in Singapore, even though I've never been there, I imagine it is too much. The air is probably as thick as peanut butter. What is worse, there is no escape since it is the same weather all year.

When I was vacationing in the Caribbean, I was very annoyed that humidity was felt everywhere. And by everywhere, I mean that even indoors, the all the surfaces including your bed-sheets would always feel a bit moist. Your bath-towels would never completely dry. Even my skin would always feel oily for some reason. This is tolerable when you are there just for a couple of weeks on vacation but I would not want to live in such conditions.
Completely agree. Good post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 04:23 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
I think I may have to go with San Diego here. I'm a heat lover but I hate when it's hot and cloudy, it feels like being in an old sweaty sock, I imagine Singapore having a lot of days like this. I love Singapore's temperatures but it's entirely too monotonous for me.

As for San Diego, 75 F doesn't feel warm at all in the summertime to me, that'd be a low temperature here, I'd have to live a little inland where it gets hotter. But the sunshine and atmosphere makes it the winner over Singapore for me, I would love to live in San Diego.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:20 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Another predictable, one sided poll.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
I don't think San Diego is a paradise for heat lovers, but instead for cold haters and to some extent, heat haters (being cooler in summer than most major metropolitan areas in the US - NY, LA, Chicago, Houston, Phoenix, etc. despite being much warmer than, say, SF or Seattle)

Both climates are very good imo. San Diego is devoid of real cold and has fabulous sunshine totals, but has very bland temperatures, while Singapore stays perpetually warm, and gets hot every day, but is significantly cloudier. Singapore boasts many more thunderstorms as well, has constant daylight and a high sun angle, all of which appeal to me. In addition, Singapore's vegetation is incomparably lusher and more beautiful than SD's dry landscape. Lastly, I love humidity, so :

Singapore despite SD having great sunshine totals.
You don't really 'feel' the cloudiness as much in Singapore, I think because days without sun are pretty rare, and if you're outside you know how bad tropical sun can feel with the humidity. That's why most of the time you want to stay out of the sun, in contrast to cooler weather when you might want to sun-bake. Never felt the urge to bask in the sun in Singapore.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
Noooooo ! Singapore is so comfortable I still miss its warm, moist air every day!
You do get used to it, even after spending say 5 days there. Still I find it too hot and humid to do a lot of physical activity, and being outdoors too much wears you down.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
I don't mind moderate amounts of humidity for short periods of time. For a time, it feels kind of nice, like an invisible blanket wrapped around you. But in Singapore, even though I've never been there, I imagine it is too much. The air is probably as thick as peanut butter. What is worse, there is no escape since it is the same weather all year.

When I was vacationing in the Caribbean, I was very annoyed that humidity was felt everywhere. And by everywhere, I mean that even indoors, the all the surfaces including your bed-sheets would always feel a bit moist. Your bath-towels would never completely dry. Even my skin would always feel oily for some reason. This is tolerable when you are there just for a couple of weeks on vacation but I would not want to live in such conditions.
Funny what you say about things not drying out in humid tropical climates. Being from a Mediterranean climate, the one thing I don't like about higher humidity rain in summer (well apart from stopping you doing things) in any climate with somewhat humid summers is that feeling of dampness/mouldiness that lingers in the bathroom, on bedsheets etc. I felt this in the un air-conditioned hotel I was staying at in New York. In Mediterranean climates, water tends to evaporate a lot quicker. Also when it's hot, dry and windy you literally can hang out a load of washing and by the time you've finished it's just about dried off already.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:30 PM

5,019 posts, read 7,224,561 times
San Diego is too sunny and dry for my taste but Singapore is ridiculously oppressive year round.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:00 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,362,777 times
Quote:

Good post…and one that makes me think that my original feeling about living long term in a true tropical climate (Af) is not all it’s cracked up to be.

True tropical climates (Af) much below 15 N/S latitude like Singapore, the Congo, Belem…etc never feel the drier trades at the time of low sun (winter). While we always hear how deep tropical stations never see a low temp below even 65 F/18 C – the price one pays is no variation in the oppressive, humid/high dew point air all year. Aw (tropical savannah) climates normally found from 20 – 27 latitude that straddle the tropics are far more comfortable annually; For half the year the drier and stable trade winds bring brilliant sunshine, meager rainfall, and desert like humidity. For those who enjoy that season of heat and humidity (and like DaDh I too relish several months of that type of weather)…most Aw stations have plenty enough season to satisfy most people.

Aw stations that straddle the tropics like Ft. Lauderdale, Hanoi, Hong Kong, …etc might see a few nights a year in the 40’s or low 50’s…but the benefit of less rainfall at the time of low sun, dry winter air masses, and more sunshine, are far more desirable for the long term than stations in the deep tropics. At least that's my theory.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Good post…and one that makes me think that my original feeling about living long term in a true tropical climate (Af) is not all it’s cracked up to be.

True tropical climates (Af) much below 15 N/S latitude like Singapore, the Congo, Belem…etc never feel the drier trades at the time of low sun (winter). While we always hear how deep tropical stations never see a low temp below even 65 F/18 C – the price one pays is no variation in the oppressive, humid/high dew point air all year. Aw (tropical savannah) climates normally found from 20 – 27 latitude that straddle the tropics are far more comfortable annually; For half the year the drier and stable trade winds bring brilliant sunshine, meager rainfall, and desert like humidity. For those who enjoy that season of heat and humidity (and like DaDh I too relish several months of that type of weather)…most Aw stations have plenty enough season to satisfy most people.

Aw stations that straddle the tropics like Ft. Lauderdale, Hanoi, Hong Kong, …etc might see a few nights a year in the 40’s or low 50’s…but the benefit of less rainfall at the time of low sun, dry winter air masses, and more sunshine, are far more desirable for the long term than stations in the deep tropics. At least that's my theory.
What about wet/dry savanna monsoonal climates within 15 degrees of the equator? Bangkok in 'winter' feels just like Perth in summer - none of the steaminess you always get in Singapore or Malaysia. Same with Northern Australia.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:44 PM

637 posts, read 1,026,718 times
San Diego A+++++

Singapore, yuck

Though I'm sure ColdCanadian would love it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather