Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 09:51 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times

Advertisements

San Diego has the dullest climate in the entire world..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 10:41 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,825,288 times
Rain certainly does not get rid of humidity around here, it only creates more of it! I remember about 2 summers ago, we got hit with a rainfall and then it stayed overcast for about 2 days and it was horribly humid. I was miserable. I went to Fred Meyer and there was a man in the parking lot who seemed to be really enjoying it. On the way into the store he was walking with his arms open, exclaiming to his children "this is what it was always like when I lived in Chicago, only there it was hotter!" Ick. I guess to each their own. I thought it was hot and more than plenty humid enough, myself. Yuck.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:32 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inventernet View Post
I definitely agree with this! San Diego is the best Meditterranean climate and as yowps3 said no bugs! There is just something about dry summers, rain when it's supposed rain, it just makes it official for me. Though I do think in Humid Subtropical climates like Sydney, you do sort of need the rain to get rid of the humidity. So I guess it all works out then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Yeah rain gets rid of humidity? But the not sudden and hick downpours tht are common in Sydney, it's very humid, starts to pour, cools down, sun comes back and result? Worst humidity then before the rain!
^People again confusing Sydney with Brisbane.

Brisbane is the city that gets the classic humid heat, where it rains afterwards, cools a bit and then goes back to humid and hot again - We're not that tropical. Relative humidity can be around 67% with temps at 30C there (pheww!)....It will be a record if Sydney were to have that combination!

When Sydney gets cloudy 'humid' days in the summer, the temps usually hover around 20-24C (that's rather cool so it won't feel 'humid'). These conditions come from a southerly cold front (something similar that Melbourne gets). Our hot days are predominantly dry heat. And when we get rain afterwards, it's cold rain and thunder - Nothing like Singapore, Darwin and Hong Kong...

Odd for a Cfa, Sydney is actually more wet in late autumn and winter (May & June). I also don't like it when most of the rain is thrown in the summer, but I'm also not a big fan of predominant winter rain. Rain, for me, should be more common in autumn and spring, so we can have sunny summers and winters.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:32 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,454,891 times
Quote:
I don't understand why the members and weather enthusiast in this board have such a strong preference for summer rainfall..

Isn't it just better to have the rain fall in winter, autumn, spring and to have blue skies in summer?
Rain in summer weakens heat and brings cool, refreshing air. When I was in Greece, I was so glad to see rare summer rain there. Intense sunshine makes heat worse, while in the cooler season sunshine helps to get warm. It also keeps the grass from being yellow and scorched. I'm also not a fan of dry (including Mediterranean) landscapes, I prefer forests which can't be formed without proper summer rainfall.

Last edited by Max96; 01-08-2014 at 02:54 AM..

Old 01-08-2014, 02:55 AM

3,990 posts, read 3,397,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max96 View Post
Rain in summer weakens heat and brings cool, refreshing air. When I was in Greece, I was so glad to see rare summer rain there. Intense sunshine makes heat worse, while in the cooler season sunshine helps to get warm. It also keeps the grass from being yellow and scorched. I'm also not a fan of dry (including Mediterranean) landscapes, I like forests which can't be formed without proper summer rainfall.
I completely agree with you.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:23 PM

1,076 posts, read 1,745,912 times
Quote:
I don't understand why the members and weather enthusiast in this board have such a strong preference for summer rainfall..

Isn't it just better to have the rain fall in winter, autumn, spring and to have blue skies in summer?
Absolutely not, I like the "tropical summer" with very hot temperatures, high dew point, nice short heavy warm/hot rain (T-shirt in the rain is great ), beautiful/awesome thunderstorms and a good average sunshine hours (250-300 hours).

I hate the dry summer like South coastal California or med it is very borring, depressing and not interesting for me.

Also i hate the rain in winter for me a true winter = snow and blue sky.

And the warm rain in the summer is very good for the vegetations.

Last edited by Hartfordd; 01-08-2014 at 02:50 PM..

Old 01-08-2014, 04:47 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
Mumbai, anyone?

Climate of Mumbai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think you're right. Provided the rainfall amounts aren't up to Mumbai or Cherrapunji's ridiculous levels - you would still get decent amounts of sunshine with those intense, but brief downpours.

My personal preference is for dry winters (with occasional heavy snow), wetter spring and autumn and mostly dry summers (with brief thunderstorms). So from wettest to driest in this order:

autumn (especially in September)
spring (especially in May)
summer (mostly in early ,June and late August - book-ending a dry midsummer)
winter (evenly spread out across Dec-Jan-Feb).
You are describing a climate like Dallas.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:14 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,107,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Yeah, Mumbai is ridiculous, that's for sure.
I actually like mumbai. some more seasonality in temps would b nice but it's not a bad climate. B+

Old 03-05-2017, 04:22 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max96 View Post
Rain in summer weakens heat and brings cool, refreshing air. When I was in Greece, I was so glad to see rare summer rain there. Intense sunshine makes heat worse, while in the cooler season sunshine helps to get warm. It also keeps the grass from being yellow and scorched. I'm also not a fan of dry (including Mediterranean) landscapes, I prefer forests which can't be formed without proper summer rainfall.
That's not always the case if you have cities like Brisbane, Tampa, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Charleston. The air will will be too muggy and oppressive.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:49 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,215,512 times
I prefer wet warm and humid summer weather over the constant sunny blue dome skies and the completely rainless droughty drivvel that you Southern Californians love so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather