Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 04:12 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Puerto Rico has very warm winters, warmer winter average than Darwin, yet few Americans go there to live. I wonder if it were to become a state if that would change. I kind of doubt it cause it just feels a bit foreign with the population being spanish speaking, etc.
The way I see it, why go to Puerto Rico and put up with the language barrier when you can dot he same for a lot cheaper in Mexico? The US dollar makes Puerto Rico more expensive than Mexico. You can also get a lot more house in Mexico for your money as a result
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 04:30 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,556,473 times
Well, Mexico has a much lower quality of life, crime problems, etc.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
Well, Mexico has a much lower quality of life, crime problems, etc.
Up to a million Americans fly down to Mexico for at least the winter months. Not to mention the Americans that live in the non-U.S. Caribbean. Fact of the matter is, more Americans live in Mexico than in any other country in the world, because it is cheap. I seriously doubt most Americans would want to move to Puerto Rico even if it did became a state. Americans can already move to Puerto Rico with full, unrestricted rights enjoyed in other states

Old 03-12-2012, 01:46 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Canadians are going to Mexico in droves these days. Most Canadians I know have been to Mexico at least once and many have winter homes there. Myself I've been a few times. If they ever get their crime and corruption problem somewhat under control, I'd definitely move there. It's actually quite easy for Canadians to move there if they have a guaranteed income or are willing to teach English to locals. I already have friends there who would welcome me with open arms.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Canadians are going to Mexico in droves these days. Most Canadians I know have been to Mexico at least once and many have winter homes there. Myself I've been a few times. If they ever get their crime and corruption problem somewhat under control, I'd definitely move there. It's actually quite easy for Canadians to move there if they have a guaranteed income or are willing to teach English to locals. I already have friends there who would welcome me with open arms.
Same for Americans. Mexico understands there is huge demand for snowbirds. If Mexico was a developed country that was safe, it would definitely steal a LOT of Australia's thunder since climate wise, Mexico and Australia are nearly identical (and flying to Mexico is a lot cheaper and faster) and a much better comparison of climate than the USA and Australia

Old 03-12-2012, 02:33 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Up to a million Americans fly down to Mexico for at least the winter months. Not to mention the Americans that live in the non-U.S. Caribbean. Fact of the matter is, more Americans live in Mexico than in any other country in the world, because it is cheap. I seriously doubt most Americans would want to move to Puerto Rico even if it did became a state. Americans can already move to Puerto Rico with full, unrestricted rights enjoyed in other states
I hear what you are saying, but in addition to the language barrier there is general hygiene of the country. Hepatitis A is widespread throughout Mexico to the point where something like 90% of children get it before the age of 5 (children have few symptoms).

I have been in PR and was perfectly fine with food, water, etc. The standards are US standards as the EPA is there and other US rules and requirements. Mexico, not even close. My first trip to Mexico I got really ill stomach wise. Makes me never want to go back. That has never happened to me in the Carib (US Carib or non-US). I'd move to the Virgin Islands before Mexico. Never got sick there and drank tap water right from the faucet the whole time, same with PR. English speaking with a really cool accent in the Virgin Islands as well.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Same for Americans. Mexico understands there is huge demand for snowbirds. If Mexico was a developed country that was safe, it would definitely steal a LOT of Australia's thunder since climate wise, Mexico and Australia are nearly identical (and flying to Mexico is a lot cheaper and faster) and a much better comparison of climate than the USA and Australia
Huh? I can honestly say I have never heard of Americans wintering in Australia on a regular basis. That is quite an expense for snowbirds.

To me it makes no sense for an American to fly all the way to Australia purely to escape winter when the Caribbean is literally on our doorstep. At least for the eastern half of the USA that is. Not to mention when you go to Australia in our winter (their summer), you can't swim in the sea unprotected in the tropical bits.

I was in the Virgin Islands one year in Feb and it was 85F everyday and the water was around 80F. I was there after a 3.5 hour flight. Australia can never compete with that when you include cost of travel and time.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Huh? I can honestly say I have never heard of Americans wintering in Australia on a regular basis. That is quite an expense for snowbirds.

To me it makes no sense for an American to fly all the way to Australia purely to escape winter when the Caribbean is literally on our doorstep. At least for the eastern half of the USA that is. Not to mention when you go to Australia in our winter (their summer), you can't swim in the sea unprotected in the tropical bits.

I was in the Virgin Islands one year in Feb and it was 85F everyday and the water was around 80F. I was there after a 3.5 hour flight. Australia can never compete with that when you include cost of travel and time.
Well, I assumed that everyone would know I would be referring to non-Americans since that was my OP. But, to clarify, I meant to say non-Americans like Brits and Canadians who can't simply move to the US for the winter if they are not retired.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Well, I assumed that everyone would know I would be referring to non-Americans since that was my OP. But, to clarify, I meant to say non-Americans like Brits and Canadians who can't simply move to the US for the winter if they are not retired.
My bad. I just re-read your OP. You are correct.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:
My bad. I just re-read your OP. You are correct.
Now that we're on the same footing , you thinkt hat would happen if Mexico were as highly developed as, say, Spain? My brain says that Mexico isn't too far away, and it's a hell of a lot warmer than Spain in winter with actual tropical territory. Even the Pacific coast of Mexico south of the Gulf of California is as warm as or warmer than the Caribbean and it's not a small island. Plus, the US is right around the corner. From Australia, I think you will see some Brits moving to Mexico instead, those that the language barrier doesn't bother them. Then again, the million or so Brits that live in Spain either full-time or part-time don't seem to care about the language barrier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather