Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 01:28 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,068,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I haven't seen unobstructed sunshine in (what feels like) over a week, not even for a few minutes.

These aren't "downpours" but very, very long showery spells, mixed with spells of sprinkles, occaisional pauses in precipitation, all under fully overcast skies. Deneb78 hit it right; Vancouver but warmer.
I can believe it. With nearly 400 mm so far and a little over four sunshine hours per day, I imagine you're probably wondering why you came all this way: Townsville, Qld - Daily Weather Observations

But note that the average rainfall for march is only 110 mm with an average of 8.1 sunshine hours per day: Climate statistics for Australian locations

In short, you're getting screwed over by La Nina, just like everyone else round here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 02:07 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That's pretty different from Puerto Rico there's no such thing as sprinkles or showers. It's only proper deep soaking rain, depends on how long it lasts. At least on the north coast and the mountains, I can't speak for the south coast. All I know about that part is the temperature regime is the same as Darwin
Aye carumba!

*I'd still prefer to be in Puerto Rico. Do you have any deadly animals there?

Old 03-19-2012, 02:12 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
I can believe it. With nearly 400 mm so far and a little over four sunshine hours per day, I imagine you're probably wondering why you came all this way: Townsville, Qld - Daily Weather Observations

But note that the average rainfall for march is only 110 mm with an average of 8.1 sunshine hours per day: Climate statistics for Australian locations

In short, you're getting screwed over by La Nina, just like everyone else round here!
Well I'm content that the mornings are never cold. I knew I probably wouldn't like the Wet Season. I'm optimistic however that I will enjoy autumn and spring. Winter will probably be pretty good too.

What's La Nina doing to New Zealand?

I wonder if the cloudcover is much thicker than normal at all altitudes around Queensland due to La Nina, making the sunshine feel so much weaker than I expected. Sydney's February sun felt great last year, quite hot, but I wonder if that was because I was new to Australia and just arrived from Canadian winter.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:35 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Aye carumba!

No deadly animals, just a lot of deadly criminals . Violent crime rate is similar to Tijuana, unfortunately. I'd rather be in Queensland at least you can get a nice little chunk of land around your area unlike in Puerto Rico which is extremely hard to come by (too many mountains). I always did say I vastly prefer Australia to any other country in the world, climatically speaking. Only thing I hate is the vast distance to and from the mainland US. At least Guam is a 4 hour flight north of Cairns

Old 03-19-2012, 03:02 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,668,387 times
Quote:
Aye carumba!

How are the animals/critters in Townsville? See any king cobra snakes yet?

Old 03-20-2012, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Well I'm content that the mornings are never cold. I knew I probably wouldn't like the Wet Season. I'm optimistic however that I will enjoy autumn and spring. Winter will probably be pretty good too.
Given that you found Perth's winters tolerable I think you will really like Townsville winters. Hardly any rain, abundant sunshine and low humidity. Perth's winters are very cold, gloomy and wet by comparison. You might end up liking winter more than summer in Townsville!

Quote:
Refer to my numerous complaints in the SH summer and autumn threads. Basically, one of the coolest summers on record. Highest temp over whole summer was only 28.8 C. Number of warm days (by my standards) could be counted on one hand. You get the idea.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Yikes, make that "well over 500 mm" now.

Some crazy stuff up there. But oh-so-rainy Brisbane has yet to reach 100 mm: Brisbane, Qld - Daily Weather Observations

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:53 AM

I am curious to how the flooding is in, if any in Townsville? Apparently the water in Cairns drains very fast, while the water in Townsville can back up.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:58 AM

Weather News - Townsville begins clean-up after freak storm

Old 03-20-2012, 12:58 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,599,656 times
Quote:

I wonder if the cloudcover is much thicker than normal at all altitudes around Queensland due to La Nina, making the sunshine feel so much weaker than I expected. Sydney's February sun felt great last year, quite hot, but I wonder if that was because I was new to Australia and just arrived from Canadian winter.
Every La Nina is unique. This epsiode over the southern summer has had the highs a little too far east of NZ, so a substantial portion has had a wet cloudy "summer", quite unlike some other episodes where the blocking highs were closer to NZ or sitting over the country in the meridional sense. The southern and western parts of the South island plus some of the hinterland there have done quite well however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather