Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick your fake climate of choice
Neipolis 32 55.17%
Rozenntown 26 44.83%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 07:00 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,561,463 times

Advertisements

I'd chose nei's climate

Rozenn's summers are really great, but from September to May I'd prefer nei's climate by a landslide due to much warmer and noticeably sunny conditions. In particular, Rozenn's winters are way too cold for my tastes - record lows are terrifying

nei's winters/shoulder seasons would be fantastic for a European location, despite being way cooler what I'd fully enjoy.

Rozenn : D+/C- (Nov to March : no thanks)
nei : B-- (I dislike those summer lows)

Btw, Rozenn, what's wrong with your wiki weatherboxes? They're just like mine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 07:05 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,731,109 times
^^ I edited my first message, before that it was too big and full of empty spaces and was automatically resized by the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
To get the box I edited a wiki page without saving the changes, just used the preview button. Some wiki pages are uneditable, others are, you'll have to poke around. Then took a screenshot of the preview.
Yes, I used Des Moines. Not too different from my climate.

Here is some snow data:

Actually I think I could use less winter precipitation, this is quite snowy and maybe too much of a hassle for everyday life.
For Rozenntown I guess I would use AC in summer. I like such temps outside but not really when I have to sleep. With 20°C average nights I can't realistically think of spending a summer without AC, as there would be a few 25°C+ nights in a normal one. A normal summer would alternate between dry and humid heat, with some cool periods inbetween after a massive stormy front has passed by.
The cold and hot records are quite far from what you would get in an average year. There may be a handful of -30°C lows in the winter "for the lulz" but they don't happen too often. Same for 40°C+ heat, which is always of the dry type.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:06 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,998,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Here is some snow data:
Those are some nice snowfall averages, and are quite plausable if precipitation often occurs when temperatures are average or colder (as opposed to just having precip come in with warmth). I'd say it's an improvement over Chicago's sub-50 inch totals .

Quote:
Actually I think I could use less winter precipitation, this is quite snowy and maybe too much of a hassle for everyday life.
Nonsense. For what it's worth I'd keep it. It isn't a hassle at all if you have proper snow removal equipment. Just keep those plows and snow blowers handy .

Quote:
For Rozenntown I guess I would use AC in summer. I like such temps outside but not really when I have to sleep. With 20°C average nights I can't realistically think of spending a summer without AC, as there would be a few 25°C+ nights in a normal one. A normal summer would alternate between dry and humid heat, with some cool periods inbetween after a massive stormy front has passed by.
The cold and hot records are quite far from what you would get in an average year. There may be a handful of -30°C lows in the winter "for the lulz" but they don't happen too often. Same for 40°C+ heat, which is always of the dry type.
I really like these fun tidbits that provide more in-depth information. Your summer isn't quite as bad for me as the averages may suggest, seeing as you seem to get cooler and drier air more often than Chicago does. It's still way too hot and humid for my liking, though.

Given that you like those temperatures outside (presumably during the daytime) but don't like warm nights, perhaps you could modify your climate to feature cooler nights. For instance you could keep the same highs but have lows, instead of 68F, be 58F or 48F. This would require drier air, and likely less precipitation than you have in your current dream climate, but it's something I think you should consider. For an idea of what the evenings and mornings may be like, there are several examples of high-range climates in the American West, so I'd advise to look up the Weather Underground historical data on West Yellowstone, Montana (cooler and more extreme than I indicated), Denver, Colorado, Flagstaff, Arizona, and South Lake Tahoe, California. See if you like the general trend of these places. Whether you do or not should be a good indicator of whether you'd like cooler nights for your climate.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:21 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Neipolis for sure... much warmer winters

Old 03-18-2012, 04:03 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,731,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Nonsense. For what it's worth I'd keep it. It isn't a hassle at all if you have proper snow removal equipment. Just keep those plows and snow blowers handy .
Yeah, maybe. I guess I'd have to experience a full winter in a snowy location to be sure I can handle it.

Quote:
Given that you like those temperatures outside (presumably during the daytime) but don't like warm nights, perhaps you could modify your climate to feature cooler nights. For instance you could keep the same highs but have lows, instead of 68F, be 58F or 48F. This would require drier air, and likely less precipitation than you have in your current dream climate, but it's something I think you should consider. For an idea of what the evenings and mornings may be like, there are several examples of high-range climates in the American West, so I'd advise to look up the Weather Underground historical data on West Yellowstone, Montana (cooler and more extreme than I indicated), Denver, Colorado, Flagstaff, Arizona, and South Lake Tahoe, California. See if you like the general trend of these places. Whether you do or not should be a good indicator of whether you'd like cooler nights for your climate.
Actually I like those temperatures outside both during the daytime and at night and I don't mind warmth inside when I'm not trying to sleep. It's just for sleeping on the hotter nights, so having AC on a couple weeks per year, it would be fine.
Plus I want high precipitation to keep things green and lush at these temperatures. The places in the American west you indicated are just too arid for my liking.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:10 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,998,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Yeah, maybe. I guess I'd have to experience a full winter in a snowy location to be sure I can handle it.
One can never be sure until one has actually been in that sort of environment, but I don't believe you'd have much of a problem, as long as the city has competent road crews (believe it or not that is questionable).

Quote:
Actually I like those temperatures outside both during the daytime and at night and I don't mind warmth inside when I'm not trying to sleep. It's just for sleeping on the hotter nights, so having AC on a couple weeks per year, it would be fine.
Plus I want high precipitation to keep things green and lush at these temperatures. The places in the American west you indicated are just too arid for my liking.
Ah, I just misunderstood what you were trying to say. I guess air conditioning is essential to complete the climatic package you'd like, much like central heating is to mine .

Old 03-18-2012, 05:32 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,953,145 times
I prefer Rozentown's summers, but Neipolis has way better winters, and summers that are still good for average highs, but the average summer lows suck.

Might have to go for Neipolis, much better winters. Should be able to grow many species of palms aswell.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:46 PM

775 posts, read 1,169,564 times
Both are a little too wet for my taste and Rozenntown could be sunnier, but I slightly prefer it due to the more exciting record temperatures.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:40 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
People tend to mention whether a climate requires air conditioning more than heating. While I hope that the inhabitants of Neipolis would find A/C unnecessary, what about central heating?

My guess is that many could forgo central heating, with most keeping a space heater for cold winter days. Any thoughts?

Old 03-18-2012, 07:43 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
I definitely wouldn't need heating in Neipolis. In fact my windows would probably be open most of the time during the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather