Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Climate Battle: Córdoba vs Córdoba
Córdoba, Argentina 25 71.43%
Córdoba, Spain 10 28.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 03:33 PM

252 posts, read 736,016 times

Advertisements

I chose Argentine one.

Perhaps the Spanish one should be compared Mendoza, Argentina.
Mendoza is sunnier and drier than both, with only 220mm (8 inches)
precip, similiar highs, cooler lows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 09:01 PM

839 posts, read 3,075,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Also Cafayate, in Salta. I was there last winter and in the wine museum it said that cafayate is sunny 360 days of the year!! Thats gotta give very high sunshine hours!
Interesting. Cafayate is not so far from Salta (the province capital city), but Salta has only 1800 annual sunshine hours.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:57 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,530,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
Interesting. Cafayate is not so far from Salta (the province capital city), but Salta has only 1800 annual sunshine hours.
really? only 1800 hours???? i had no idea Salta has that low sunshine hours!!

But Cafayate has a COMPLETELY different climate than Salta, warm all year, waay hotter on summer, way more dry and incredibly sunny. Actually, cafayate haves a microclimate. When i was there in July the temps were around 30c everyday, sunny, low humidity. The next day i went to Salta and it was raining for days with highs arond 12c.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:23 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
I hadn't expected anywhere in the North of Argentina to be that cloudy.

An interesting climate. It's like a Mediterranean climate in reverse. I would give it a B.

Salta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-20-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I hadn't expected anywhere in the North of Argentina to be that cloudy.

An interesting climate. It's like a Mediterranean climate in reverse. I would give it a B.

Salta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
i dont wanna contradict sanfel, but those 1800 sunshine hours sound incredibly LOW for Salta!!! I actually thought it was even sunnier than BA (2550) and i also think salta haves a rep for being very sunny??? Also, i didnt even know that Argentina, outside of the southern patagonia provines, could have such an european-like unsunny climate?? Argentina is actually quite sunny in the whole territory except the very low part of Patagonia.

And the northwest even more so?? I find it weird that salta haves 1800 sunshine hours, extremely weird, where did you get that data from, sanfel??

Old 03-20-2012, 10:38 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,600,995 times
Quote:
i dont wanna contradict sanfel, but those 1800 sunshine hours sound incredibly LOW for Salta!!! I actually thought it was even sunnier than BA (2550) and i also think salta haves a rep for being very sunny??? Also, i didnt even know that Argentina, outside of the southern patagonia provines, could have such an european-like unsunny climate?? Argentina is actually quite sunny in the whole territory except the very low part of Patagonia.

And the northwest even more so?? I find it weird that salta haves 1800 sunshine hours, extremely weird, where did you get that data from, sanfel??
Ogimet seems to support his claim, though sometimes its numbers look dodgy:

Climat report

There are plenty of places listed that do look very sunny, eg San Juan:

Climat report

Old 03-20-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Ogimet seems to support his claim, though sometimes its numbers look dodgy:

Climat report

There are plenty of places listed that do look very sunny, eg San Juan:

Climat report

Thanks RWood! I was actually trying to find data for Salta cause i really cant believe those numbers, and couldnt.

Anyways, i used a calculator to add up all those numbers you presented and the result was 2334 hours, not 1800. If thats true, is certainly not as sunny as i thought, but its also not cloudy as 1800!!! That sunshine hours sound considerably low, specially knowing where Salta is located (in an extremely sunny zone in the country, maybe the sunniest?)

also add the San Juan sunshine hours and it gave me 3347, I wonder how much hours cafayate haves.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:56 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,600,995 times
Quote:
Thanks RWood! I was actually trying to find data for Salta cause i really cant believe those numbers, and couldnt.

Anyways, i used a calculator to add up all those numbers you presented and the result was 2334 hours, not 1800. If thats true, is certainly not as sunny as i thought, but its also not cloudy as 1800!!! That sunshine hours sound considerably low, specially knowing where Salta is located (in an extremely sunny zone in the country, maybe the sunniest?)

also add the San Juan sunshine hours and it gave me 3347, I wonder how much hours cafayate haves.
But notice the next column gives % of normal. If you calculate the normals and add them, you'll be much closer to an 1800 average (most months seem to have been sunnier than normal in 2011). The same applies to a leeser extent to San Juan, but I would guess it still comes out at least 2900-3000 for an average.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:22 AM

Thanks, RWood, too. The data for Salta's sunshine hours I took from here:
clima
Click on the "Insolación" tab.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:35 AM

Also, I have found quite a great deal of subtropical and tropical climates with low sunshine hours...
Florianópolis, Brazil: 2010 hours clima
Rio de Janeiro: 2084.7 hours Rio de Janeiro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lima, Peru (an extreme case), according to Wikipedia has 1284 hours only!

And then there are the others, like Miami, Los Angeles, etc., with very high sunshine hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather