Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 05:23 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,998,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
What did they do back in the 1800’s in the old subtropical port cities like New Orleans, Charleston, Mobile, Galveston...etc in the hot season?
What people did was suffer and endure misery. The only reasons they didn't complain back then is that they knew no better and their misery became a background state - but it still existed. Can people survive without air conditioning? Can people work without air conditioning? Sure. Most people are tough enough, but that comes at a cost of suffering that the vast majority of people would remedy if they could (quite sensibly so). Enter air conditioning. When those formerly miserable people in the South could afford air conditioning, they got it in droves.

Total indoor comfort is one of the greatest fruits of the developed world, and should not be dismissed on the grounds you outlined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 01:39 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
I usually don't turn on the A/C until the indoor temps gets to above 78F or so. I hate it when buildings are overairconditioned.

Ditto, and I set it at 73. I'm not a huge fan of A/C. When I was a kid, and lived at home, my parent's rarely turned it on until it got into the upper 80s and low 90s outside. Unfortunately, with my wife having horrible seasonal allergies, I have to deal with it running constantly in the Summer. After coming back from the pool, I always find that I have to go back outside to "warm up." Now mind you I don't like stifling heat in a building. 80 degrees in a building IMO is worse than outside. That is why I keep it at around 73. Just comfortable enough, but not so cold that you could hang meat in your living room. I had a roomate back in the day who would try to use the one room unit to cool the whole apartment. He blasted it so much, the windows would fog up after a thunderstorm. Not to mention if we got a warm spell in late September or early October, he'd crank it up. Hated it!

Old 03-19-2012, 01:49 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,928 times
Even though I have central air...
I almost will not need it (unless over 105) since this house b/c it is so shaded naturally that it will be cooler via trees.
And if I should want that 60 degree weather... I would simply go below ground for that perfect cellar temp... good for my skin too.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:35 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,181,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I'm glad to see someone understand the difficulties of working in summer heat, even after expressing a love for summer in the past. Reps to you lp!

This summer I'll probably be taking another outdoor summer job, though this one will require more physical exertion than my last one. Can't wait. As I said in another thread, there's nothing better than coming home to an air conditioned house after working outside all day during the summer.
Thanks for the shout-out... good luck this summer.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:13 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,464,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Ditto, and I set it at 73. I'm not a huge fan of A/C. When I was a kid, and lived at home, my parent's rarely turned it on until it got into the upper 80s and low 90s outside. Unfortunately, with my wife having horrible seasonal allergies, I have to deal with it running constantly in the Summer. After coming back from the pool, I always find that I have to go back outside to "warm up." Now mind you I don't like stifling heat in a building. 80 degrees in a building IMO is worse than outside. That is why I keep it at around 73. Just comfortable enough, but not so cold that you could hang meat in your living room. I had a roomate back in the day who would try to use the one room unit to cool the whole apartment. He blasted it so much, the windows would fog up after a thunderstorm. Not to mention if we got a warm spell in late September or early October, he'd crank it up. Hated it!
I thought about this actually. Not really a problem for me at the moment but having similar temperature preferences with your SO is actually important because if you don't, you will be fighting with them over the thermostat for the rest of your life (or one of you will be very unhappy). I like indoor temperatures to be warmer than I would think the majority of people prefer. However females like to keep things a bit warmer than average so the odds are things will work out for me.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:49 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,198,592 times
People who claim to love heat usually work in nice little offices with a big Ol AC at full blast.
Claim they can handle the heat because they go for a leisurely walk in the park.

Lol make them go work 8 hours in the heat and we will see how much they like it.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:53 AM

398 posts, read 751,309 times
Nope, I don't really like AC. I will use a fan though for air flow. I will also use heat as I hate cold weather. I've got my heat usually set on 72 in the winter. Most other peoples houses are too cold for me. I often sit outside at a coffee shop or something, they are notorious for making the a/c super cold. I used to bring a jacket/fleece to work and wear it at my desk b/c the office was too cold.

Alacran, working in the heat is no problem for me, as long as you stay hydrated. An opportunity to take my shirt off and sweat is fantastic! I also regularly hit up the dry sauna at the gym. I also do runs and triathlons, so I regularly train HARD in hot weather. It doesn't phase me.

I lived in the Midwest for approximately 3 years and I generally hated October all the way through the end of May, sometimes beginning of June I would still be in a decent jacket. I was 25 the first time I ever saw snow. A lot of us DO like the hot weather. San Francisco is even too cold for me, I am looking to move somewhere warmer, probably LA or Austin. Don't believe me? See my thread LA vs Austin vs New Orleans =D. My favorite climate however is somewhere like Puerto Rico where I spent a good deal of time coming up. This is sad for me b/c I prefer cities like NYC/Boston/Chicago to most of the warmer options this country has. Just can't deal with the weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
I thought about this actually. Not really a problem for me at the moment but having similar temperature preferences with your SO is actually important because if you don't, you will be fighting with them over the thermostat for the rest of your life (or one of you will be very unhappy).
Haha, I am always skeptical about where somebody wants to live in the future. This one girl I was interested in was early on talking about going to Boston... oh my, no thanks.
I know what you mean about the fighting. Just the other day I met up with a friend and she wanted to sit indoors, while I pretty much forced her to go outside. She was sitting in a dress even, while I had on jeans and a fleece saying it was too hot outside (about 77 I'd guess). I was like WHAT? are you kidding? It's perfect! I actually thought in the back of my mind, I could never date this girl. Sometimes riding in peoples car that like to blast A/C I will need to open the window to warm up some. This has annoyed them sometimes with the wind blowing but I'm like HEY! I'm freezing over here, turn off the ice cube maker.

Last edited by Lizz0rd; 03-22-2012 at 10:23 AM..

Old 03-22-2012, 10:35 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
No;infact the same could be said of people who say they love winter then use heat when indoors. I am sure people actaully love winter for winter sports etc and other love summer for the swimming;fishing etc.The you'll see the peopelwho tolerate the that in summer for warmer weather in fall thru winter months. That is pretty much me.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:32 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,731,109 times
^^ Yep it's pretty much that. You don't need to be able to work as a roofer in summer in Phoenix to claim to be a summer lover.

Temperature incompatibility can be a big problem. I usually like cool indoors temps when sleeping. Once when I was still a summer hater I had a "heat-lover" roommate. I still remember how miserable I was during hot weather.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:42 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
I love hearing the term "what did they do back then?"... It's called deaths.

Nowadays the most weather related deaths is with Heat... So you can imagine what happened back before A/C came around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather