Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which one do you pick?
Avalon, CA 17 43.59%
Eureka, CA 1 2.56%
Astoria, OR 2 5.13%
Oak Harbor, WA 2 5.13%
Eagle River, AK 17 43.59%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 01:34 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times

Advertisements

I think sunshine is the biggest thing. I see tons of people out when it's sunny and snowy and sunny and warm but when its cloudy there are less people on the fields walking their dogs etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 01:35 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,409,050 times
The sun is the thing that gets me out. When it's a boring cloudy morning I don't get up til 12 noon.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:35 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,821,978 times
If I had to choose between 50 and cloudy or 80 and sunny, I would choose 80 and sunny no contest.

HOWEVER, given the choice between 20 degrees (snowing or not), and 80 degrees and sunny, my choice would be entirely season dependent. In the winter, 20. In the summer, 80. I prefer these extremes to the mild alternative any day.

Therefore, given again the option, btw, of 50 and cloudy or 20 and snowy, I would take 20 and snowing, no contest.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:40 PM

Actually I would like to amend that slightly, 50 and cloudy is perfectly acceptable for fall and spring weather, although I would still take a warmer or colder condition in lieu of the mild one in most cases given the choice. I say in most cases because, quite honestly, mild is nice once in a while too.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:41 PM

I find it interesting how every location has at least one vote, except for Eureka, most mild of the bunch!

Old 03-21-2012, 01:41 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
I prefer taking walks and hikes, golfing, etc. when it's overcast. It's usually more comfortable and I'd rather not worry about getting sunburn and whatnot. Not a huge fan of the whole skin cancer thing. Yes, I could use sunscreen, but I don't care for lotions.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:52 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Before I close this whole affair, I would like to remind both of you of three things: one, I highly doubt you've personally interviewed thousands of people about weather preferences, so don't pretend you have any less miniscule of a sample as I have; two, sanity is not statistical - what "most people" prefer does not dictate the health of all humanity, and hardly gives you a prerogative to shove your own views down anyone's throat; three, 50's and cloudy are hardly the prototype of cold weather - why not compare 0, or 30's and snowing. As Sulkiercupid wisely indicated the comparison is more complex than you let on.

I assume you're referring to me...These hot vs cold arguments get "heated" and sometimes nasty fast; I didn't mean to make it sound like I was "shoving down my preferences on other's throats". t was not trying to say everyone should like warmer weather, and I know plenty cold weather lovers and I can understand where they are coming from nor do I think there's anything wrong with their preferences (though a few I've known have bragged about how much they like or can take cold, hence my comment on a previous post).

But that does not mean the cultural standard, if it actually exists, comes from some media conspiracy. I haven't interviewed people, but seeing people walking on the street, being active in parks, bicycling, etc., I noticed everywhere there are far more people outside in warmer weather days than colder weather. I've seen that everywhere I lived in. For whatever reason, more people like to be outside in warmer weather. That doesn't mean those prefer colder weather to be wrong, but it does mean the warm weather preference of many people isn't fake. Nor does that make these people hypocrites if they complain about particularly hot days. And there are plenty of warm weather lovers (like myself) who dislike and don't use A/C.

I avoided making comparisons to colder than 50°F temperatures because it would have been more lopsided; walking around the center of town in the winter on a 10°F evening it gets deserted and few if anyone sits around in the public space, people go inside as quickly as possible.

I've noticed the amount people drop slightly when it gets hotter, but not by much. I haven't lived in very hot summer climates for the last 8 years or so, I assumed that happens. Might be an interesting thread topic?

Old 03-21-2012, 04:02 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I think sunshine is the biggest thing. I see tons of people out when it's sunny and snowy and sunny and warm but when its cloudy there are less people on the fields walking their dogs etc.
Hmm. A lot of it must depend on location. Sunshine is probably not considered that special here; so temperature is a bigger thing here.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:46 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,178,032 times
Eagle River for a proper winter even though summers are far too cold.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:00 PM

3,586 posts, read 4,970,437 times
Eagle River for the winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather