Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which hell would you choose?
Mount Despair 23 58.97%
Terror Valley 16 41.03%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 09:20 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,523,803 times

Advertisements

Get ready for some absolute horror.

Here are two of the most insanely atrocious climates I could think of, and, while totally unrealistic, both stay between the boundaries of our planet's most extreme temperatures and conditions.

The first one is Mount Despair, a high altitude equatorial climate perpetually lashed by torrential rains, making it an extraordinarily gloomy and humid place. If you're lucky, you might enjoy a few sun rays every couple of days. It is always very cool, yet never cold enough to allow for the slightest snowfall . The record low is 1.6°C, in January and the record high, 6.2°C in April. Daily standard deviation of temperatures is close to 0, making it awfully boring and hopeless. Due to cool temperatures, almost total absence of sunshine and weekly flooding, no trees grow in the area. Everything is covered in mud.

The second one, Terror Valley, much more unrealistic, is situated on an alien planet where day length changes dramatically from one season to another. Winters are extremely cold and almost completely devoid of any daylight. Shoulder seasons are marked by extensive cloud cover, preventing any real warm up in the daytime. Despite such a high cloudiness, no rain ever falls - it's completely arid. In summer, due to a sudden onset of dry and strong monsoonal winds, the cloud cover is completely blown away, allowing temperatures to rise to extremely hot levels while evenings and nights are freezing due to a total lack of moisture that allows all daytime heat to radiate. Temperature changes are often dramatic, going from 40°C to below freezing in sometimes less than one hour. To add to this horror, Terror Valley is extremely windy in winter and desperately calm in summer. You will not enjoy a single breeze from June to September.
You will note that this climate is not colder than the South Pole in winter and not hotter than Death Valley in summer, thus remaining within the "average" temperature boundaries of our planet.
Only the record temperatures are more extreme, ranging from -103.2°C in January to 66.7°C in July.

I can hear Sophie screaming all the way from Argentina

Ladies and gentlemen, the choice is yours
Personally, despite its hellish conditions for most of the year, and icy summer nights, I'll go for Terror Valley. At least, there are some rare moments where you can hope for pleasant conditions, say, in summer a couple of hours before sunset when it's in the 30's°C with sunshine. Mount Despair would push me to depression in a few weeks

I bet you all at least enjoy your climate more after reading those evil tables
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 09:33 AM

5,580 posts, read 7,971,324 times
These climates you thought of are really neat, and exotic. I wouldn't rate any of them highly, but both of them would get better than failing marks from me .

Although Mount Despair holds some attraction and fascination, as all very cool, rainy, monotonous climates do to me, I'd go for Terror Valley. I was going to go for Mount Despair due to Terror Valley's complete lack of moisture and horrifically hot summer highs, but I don't think I could stand the monotony of Mount Despair (the low sun is a plus by the way). Both climates have zero snowfall, so that's a major bummer that equalizes them. Terror Valley has good temperature variation (perhaps too much), but absolutely horrific, drop-dead heat in the summer afternoons. However since it cools down rapidly to very comfortable levels in the evening, it makes up for those awful afternoons, and the nights are quite sleepable (something Mt. Despair shares).

So Terror Valley for me.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:34 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,166,507 times
Mount Despair

Old 03-22-2012, 09:35 AM

22,118 posts, read 29,487,619 times
Wow..!

I'd rather jump of a bridge then live in either of these places if they existed.

I pick Mount Despair, the latter is just TOO extreme, -100C, +66C..!!! Wow. NO.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:36 AM

775 posts, read 1,164,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
Get ready for some absolute horror.

Here are two of the most insanely atrocious climates I could think of, and, while totally unrealistic, both stay between the boundaries of our planet's most extreme temperatures and conditions.

The first one is Mount Despair, a high altitude equatorial climate perpetually lashed by torrential rains, making it an extraordinarily gloomy and humid place. If you're lucky, you might enjoy a few sun rays every couple of days. It is always very cool, yet never cold enough to allow for the slightest snowfall . The record low is 1.6°C, in January and the record high, 6.2°C in April. Daily standard deviation of temperatures is close to 0, making it awfully boring and hopeless. Due to cool temperatures, almost total absence of sunshine and weekly flooding, no trees grow in the area. Everything is covered in mud.

The second one, Terror Valley, much more unrealistic, is situated on an alien planet where day length changes dramatically from one season to another. Winters are extremely cold and almost completely devoid of any daylight. Shoulder seasons are marked by extensive cloud cover, preventing any real warm up in the daytime. Despite such a high cloudiness, no rain ever falls - it's completely arid. In summer, due to a sudden onset of dry and strong monsoonal winds, the cloud cover is completely blown away, allowing temperatures to rise to extremely hot levels while evenings and nights are freezing due to a total lack of moisture that allows all daytime heat to radiate. Temperature changes are often dramatic, going from 40°C to below freezing in sometimes less than one hour. To add to this horror, Terror Valley is extremely windy in winter and desperately calm in summer. You will not enjoy a single breeze from June to September.
You will note that this climate is not colder than the South Pole in winter and not hotter than Death Valley in summer, thus remaining within the "average" temperature boundaries of our planet.
Only the record temperatures are more extreme, ranging from -103.2°C in January to 66.7°C in July.

I can hear Sophie screaming all the way from Argentina

Ladies and gentlemen, the choice is yours
Personally, despite its hellish conditions for most of the year, and icy summer nights, I'll go for Terror Valley. At least, there are some rare moments where you can hope for pleasant conditions, say, in summer a couple of hours before sunset when it's in the 30's°C with sunshine. Mount Despair would push me to depression in a few weeks

I bet you all at least enjoy your climate more after reading those evil tables
I would have to pick Terror Valley too, if a giant mall can be constructed that would have 24-hour air-conditioning in summer and 24-hour heating in winter, and the technology exists for storing or producing artificial sunshine in winter.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:43 AM

5,580 posts, read 7,971,324 times
Conceivably, one could construct a giant light that emitted the same wavelengths as sunlight does, either in the mall or outside. Of course, an outside one would spoil the fun of the dark, cloudy, wet conditions.

I would like to add that the mud is a major detraction when it comes to Mount Despair, for my pick.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:43 AM

5,886 posts, read 10,490,062 times
hahaha, WOW to those climates!!!

Ok, so Mount Despair is a complete horror: no sun at all, mud instead of green and trees, and that HUMIDITY! omg!!! Its like an horror story! If i lived there i will be waiting for a monster to come eventually and eat me, its like those horror places of the stories our parents told us when we were little.

And Terror Valley?? WTH??hahah, those ranges in the same day, those freezing temps in the winter and those insane temps in the summer?? 47 c average high??? and an average low of -6 on the same day????

Ok, I refuse to chose between this two horrors.

Ok, if someone come at gunpoint and tell me "you have to chose", I ll chose Mount Despair. When living there, i will patiently wait there in the mud to the monster that will come and eat me and save me to live in that horrible dump.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:16 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,537,113 times
Mount Despair for me- I'd always be able to dress for the conditions. Great business potential re artificial trees and shrubbery.

As wet as it is, there are places in NZ a lot wetter.

Terror Valley is well named.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:44 PM

8,161 posts, read 8,701,506 times
Terror Valley I guess. As its names indicates, Mount Despair is just hopeless. Note a single minute in the year would have enjoyable outdoor conditions. Though Terror Valley seems like it's trying to kill you year-round bar a couple shoulder months.

It reminds me of a ridiculous climate I have made, but it's much more realistic.
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/164/forsen.jpg

Old 03-22-2012, 01:46 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,523,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Terror Valley I guess. As its names indicates, Mount Despair is just hopeless. Note a single minute in the year would have enjoyable outdoor conditions. Though Terror Valley seems like it's trying to kill you year-round bar a couple shoulder months.

It reminds me of a ridiculous climate I have made, but it's much more realistic.
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/164/forsen.jpg
Holy s*** ! That climate looks liveable in...early June perhaps?

Wow, I'm surprised at the score so far. I'd never have thought that there would be a tie between those two climates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather