Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 10:34 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times

Advertisements

As an analogy to the dream climatic averages, and with inspiration from this thread, I think it would be interesting for us to present the weather averages of our nightmares - the dark side of fantasy climates. What weather would be the worst for you? You may present it here.

I present my own nightmare climate, which I have dubbed Tucker's Landing:

This place is situated on an alien planet, with the day length variations being equivalent to the 24th parallel on Earth. This is my nightmare climate, averaging extremely hot both day and night, year-round. There is never any variability - every day is the same as the next, even when there are hotter or cooler periods. Humidity is perpetually at extreme levels - dew points constantly hover near 85 degrees Fahrenheit; that combined with the temperatures often yield heat indices in excess of 140 degrees Fahrenheit. No rain has ever been recorded here, and there is no geological evidence that any rain has ever fallen. Aside from the constant haze, blue skies are perpetual. There is rarely even a wisp of a cloud, and even when clouds have popped up they have only very rarely dimmed or blocked sunlight. Consequently this climate is perpetually sunny, averaging 100% of possible sunshine, a total of 4383 hours per year. The only exception to this monotony is on uncommon occasions in the winter, when upper-level winds are in a favorable direction to bring in even hotter and more humid air from the equatorward plains - Tucker's Landing is in a relatively protected region from the worst heat and humidity this planet has to offer. During these heat waves, which gradually build up and last for weeks at a time, temperatures can rise to well above 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Daily range is not any higher than usual, and low temperatures can exceed 100. Humidity is either not affected or is even higher than usual during these periods, sometimes humid enough to kill a human being outright - it is during one of these wintertime heat waves that the all-time highest dew point measured here occurred.

The all-time record high for this climate is 125, and the all-time record low is 77. The highest dew point ever recorded is 99, and the lowest 70.

My actual nightmare climate would be hotter and even more humid than this (in fact a saturated Venus would be more like it), but I settled upon this level of horror so that it can remain within human (and my) comprehension and experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 12:36 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,560,260 times
Great thread PM

You came up with Tatooine's stats

Your nightmare climate isn't too bad IMHO Clearly too hot, but absolutely manageable with A/C. It's exactly the kind of temps and conditions I encountered once in New Delhi, min 30°C - max 41°C days with haze and blue skies. Uncomfortable in early afternoon, but, hey, it's bright and sunny, and great before 12am and after 5pm.

If I had unlimited A/C, if I could wear just shorts, and wasn't forced to spend 8 hours a day outside, I'd rate your climate B-.

Otherwise, around C-.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:40 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,560,260 times
Regarding my own nightmare climate, you can find it in a post I made earlier today - I'm sure you'll know which one I'm referring to That would be Mount Despair :

Absolute HELL. If I could stay indoors with an internet connection, I would pick South Pole ANYTIME over this insane CRAP. At least there's half of the year when you get a lot of sunshine and clear skies, even though temps are horrible - although I'm not so sure that -10°C with sun and no wind is worse than 4°C with heavy rain and wind. I think the latter would be much worse indeed.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:44 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
You came up with Tatooine's stats
I'd bet most of Tattooine has far lower dew points (otherwise moisture farming wouldn't be so difficult), probably a higher daily range, and there's a good chance there's more seasonality. The lack of rain and the afternoon (maybe nighttime) temperatures is similar, though.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:01 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,413,567 times
My nightmare climate would consist of everything I hate the most in the weather, which is ice, fog, wind, cloud, and drizzly persistent rain. There would be little seasonal variation.

So Just to come up with something like that:

Old 03-22-2012, 05:25 PM

927 posts, read 1,947,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
As an analogy to the dream climatic averages, and with inspiration from this thread, I think it would be interesting for us to present the weather averages of our nightmares - the dark side of fantasy climates. What weather would be the worst for you? You may present it here.

I present my own nightmare climate, which I have dubbed Tucker's Landing:

This place is situated on an alien planet, with the day length variations being equivalent to the 24th parallel on Earth. This is my nightmare climate, averaging extremely hot both day and night, year-round. There is never any variability - every day is the same as the next, even when there are hotter or cooler periods. Humidity is perpetually at extreme levels - dew points constantly hover near 85 degrees Fahrenheit; that combined with the temperatures often yield heat indices in excess of 140 degrees Fahrenheit. No rain has ever been recorded here, and there is no geological evidence that any rain has ever fallen. Aside from the constant haze, blue skies are perpetual. There is rarely even a wisp of a cloud, and even when clouds have popped up they have only very rarely dimmed or blocked sunlight. Consequently this climate is perpetually sunny, averaging 100% of possible sunshine, a total of 4383 hours per year. The only exception to this monotony is on uncommon occasions in the winter, when upper-level winds are in a favorable direction to bring in even hotter and more humid air from the equatorward plains - Tucker's Landing is in a relatively protected region from the worst heat and humidity this planet has to offer. During these heat waves, which gradually build up and last for weeks at a time, temperatures can rise to well above 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Daily range is not any higher than usual, and low temperatures can exceed 100. Humidity is either not affected or is even higher than usual during these periods, sometimes humid enough to kill a human being outright - it is during one of these wintertime heat waves that the all-time highest dew point measured here occurred.

The all-time record high for this climate is 125, and the all-time record low is 77. The highest dew point ever recorded is 99, and the lowest 70.

My actual nightmare climate would be hotter and even more humid than this (in fact a saturated Venus would be more like it), but I settled upon this level of horror so that it can remain within human (and my) comprehension and experience.
There's a spot in the Danikil Depression in Ethiopia that has average temperatures pretty close to your nightmare climate. It was a defunct mining operation called Dallol. It's a little wetter and a tad cloudier but apart from that there isn't much difference.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:35 PM

414 posts, read 797,923 times
Basically the same as Patricius for me, that being a perpetually hot, humid and sunny climate with no prospect of a break.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:07 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times

Old 03-22-2012, 06:09 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,413,567 times
Despite claiming to be a warmth lover, even I would give Patricius's and Dunno's nightmare climates an F. I mean, silly oven like temperatures and NO rain are nothing like my ideal pleasant, warm comfortable subtropical climate with a decently hot summer and thunderstorms thrown in... gosh those are just hell climates, for hardy lizards and maybe some varieties of cacti.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:22 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
And I would give dhdh's nightmare climate an F for being utterly disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather