U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What do you think of Sophieland?
A 7 20.00%
B 13 37.14%
C 9 25.71%
D 3 8.57%
E 2 5.71%
F 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-24-2012, 03:48 AM
 
Location: Laurentia
5,593 posts, read 7,505,654 times
Reputation: 2438

Advertisements

D+ from me. Sophieland is far from my ideal climate. Winters are way too warm, being practically nonexistent, and that record low is simply abominably high. Summers aren't that bad, but are too warm for my taste, especially at night (60F? Not for me), and on top of that go on for way too long. 5 months of 70/50 Fahrenheit or higher is not preferred. However it gets bonus points for not ever getting really hot - that 31C record high is great. I imagine it would also be quite monotonous, which would be a drag on me. It's also too sunny. Precipitation and humidity are within tolerance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-24-2012, 04:35 AM
 
Location: London, UK
2,702 posts, read 5,974,914 times
Reputation: 1743
If you lived in France Sophie I'd recommend you to spend your summers in Paris and winters in Nice that woud yield results very close to your ideal stats, though probably much more variable in summer.

Nice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Paris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your climate is not bad at all on a global scale, but it's not ideal either. I like the fact that January is so abundantly sunny (and winter months in general), but temp-wise it's too tepid, like in Nice, but with rather cloudy and cool summers. Especially, I hate the record high which implies that there's a low variability in summer - and that's bad, as I usually start truly enjoying temps above 28°C

I give it a C.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2012, 08:24 AM
 
1,257 posts, read 3,436,909 times
Reputation: 1364
I like it, gets a B.

Looks like a slighlty warmer version of Mar del Plata,
which is good, I like MDP's climate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2012, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
5,929 posts, read 9,897,450 times
Reputation: 4454
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
I like it, gets a B.

Looks like a slighlty warmer version of Mar del Plata,
which is good, I like MDP's climate.
well, i like mdp too, but its not quite MDP, its way less humid and waaay more sunny. MDP (i learned the other day!) only haves 1900 hours of sunshine anually! Now that i learned this, i understand a lot, specially the fact that after living 8 years in BA i was still inclined to rate both climates a C (when MDP is way more similar than what i like in temps), and that must be cause of the low sunshine and inestability in MDP (or the great sunshine in BA!)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2012, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
5,929 posts, read 9,897,450 times
Reputation: 4454
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
If you lived in France Sophie I'd recommend you to spend your summers in Paris and winters in Nice that woud yield results very close to your ideal stats, though probably much more variable in summer.

Nice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Paris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your climate is not bad at all on a global scale, but it's not ideal either. I like the fact that January is so abundantly sunny (and winter months in general), but temp-wise it's too tepid, like in Nice, but with rather cloudy and cool summers. Especially, I hate the record high which implies that there's a low variability in summer - and that's bad, as I usually start truly enjoying temps above 28°C

I give it a C.

mmmh, Paris is way to cloudy for my tastes. But Nice looks great in the winter (though Buenos Aires, where i live, looks as great). I would like to find a sunny 15/25 place with low humidity in the summer, though, is there??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2012, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
5,929 posts, read 9,897,450 times
Reputation: 4454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
D+ from me. Sophieland is far from my ideal climate. Winters are way too warm, being practically nonexistent, and that record low is simply abominably high. Summers aren't that bad, but are too warm for my taste, especially at night (60F? Not for me), and on top of that go on for way too long. 5 months of 70/50 Fahrenheit or higher is not preferred. However it gets bonus points for not ever getting really hot - that 31C record high is great. I imagine it would also be quite monotonous, which would be a drag on me. It's also too sunny. Precipitation and humidity are within tolerance.
would love you to like my climate more.

Actually, winters in Sophieland are colder than in BA, so i tried to make it colder than what im used to, but i guess is not enough for true cold lovers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2012, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Laurentia
5,593 posts, read 7,505,654 times
Reputation: 2438
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
would love you to like my climate more.

Actually, winters in Sophieland are colder than in BA, so i tried to make it colder than what im used to, but i guess is not enough for true cold lovers.
First off, don't sacrifice your paradise on my account. Second, although it leaves me (and true cold-lovers ) much to be desired, I did give it bonus points for your heat-hating inclinations coming through - that 31C record high is actually slightly lower than my paradise's record of 32C. Oddly enough it's actually somewhat similar to the prevailing record highs of the Alaska Panhandle, although the summer averages cooler in those parts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2012, 02:31 PM
 
Location: London, UK
2,702 posts, read 5,974,914 times
Reputation: 1743
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
mmmh, Paris is way to cloudy for my tastes. But Nice looks great in the winter (though Buenos Aires, where i live, looks as great). I would like to find a sunny 15/25 place with low humidity in the summer, though, is there??
Paris is too cloudy in summer for your tastes?

Paris records more sunshine hours from May to August, included, than Sophieland

I always found Paris to have a quite low humidity in summer as well (except when it's raining obviously...). Some >30°C days felt way too dry for me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2012, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Paris
8,199 posts, read 8,142,329 times
Reputation: 3535
^^ When did you live in Paris?

I vote E, maybe I was a bit too harsh. It's borderline between D and E.

+
Precipitation is allright.

Summer temps are okay, a bit on the cool side.

-
Winters are way too mild and sunny.
Conversely, summers are too cloudy.
Both extremes are waay too tame.

My main complain is the lack of cold.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2012, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Lincoln County Road or Armageddon
4,404 posts, read 6,507,168 times
Reputation: 6125
B. I like how the cloudiest days are in the summer and low humidity year round. I would like a month or so of actual cold weather, though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:33 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top