Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 03:19 AM

309 posts, read 365,411 times

Advertisements

This weak little hurricane (80 mph?) just made landfall near Beaumont, TX overnight and is gonna dump some serious amounts of rain across much of Louisiana for sure!
Its a slow mover and might even drop a tornado or two over southern Louisiana early Thursday....so Lake Charles, Baton Rouge and even New Orleans gotta cope with yet...more weather publicity they probably would rather not.
NEED a boat down that way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 07:10 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,274 times
This storm sure took everyone by surprise. I live just south of Houston about 30 min north of Galveston and up until about 10:30 last night they were forcasting it to drop right on our heads. What a shock going to sleep last night thinking it was a tropical storm and waking up to a hurricane. Boy did we dodge a bullet. The last thing we needed here was more rain. My thoughts go out to everyone in its path. I hope their flooding is minimal.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:54 AM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
This is a good example how fast these storms can build and change direction. I just hope the people that are in a serve drought get some rain from it.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:37 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,490,553 times
I love how I woke up this morning to read "Humberto Slams into Texas" LOL what! Was it going lik 30 mph?! Man did yous see how that thing was running like a linebacker for ya'll folks down south! LOL give me a break! Yah its a rain maker,, ohh nooo run for the hills.. Perfect example as to why we shouldn't take anything the weather guys say seriously.. I hope people there are prepared for flooding and absolutely nobody gets hurt, but slams into Texas.. Come on weather people..

Old 09-13-2007, 11:40 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
I love how I woke up this morning to read "Humberto Slams into Texas" LOL what! Was it going lik 30 mph?! Man did yous see how that thing was running like a linebacker for ya'll folks down south! LOL give me a break! Yah its a rain maker,, ohh nooo run for the hills.. Perfect example as to why we shouldn't take anything the weather guys say seriously.. I hope people there are prepared for flooding and absolutely nobody gets hurt, but slams into Texas.. Come on weather people..
It was Hurricane with winds of 85 mph when it hit the coast. I admit the term slammed is a bit much and the weather folks were a bit ridiculous. I just look at the weather folks like it is the comedy channel. There are a number of folks, however, who lost their homes and businesses to the tornadoes spawned by the hurricane...that is not funny or to be taken lightly.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:23 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
Maybe you need to learn to read.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:33 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
This is a good example how fast these storms can build and change direction. I just hope the people that are in a serve drought get some rain from it.
Never fear ILNC, the rain started here around 9 A.M. this morning as a promising mist and has slowly worked it's way up to a steady light rain. We are to get the heaviest rainfall west of hwy 55, but will get around 1 - 3 inches here so that should help on our drought. Almost all of Mississippi is under a flood watch as flash flooding from the deluge will occur. I say, let it come, we are so in need of rain I'll take it any way I get it.

Weather forcasters on the local scene predict our rain will steadily increase in intensity through out the evening and night hours and a cool front sliding down from Canada will drive it out of here by Friday night.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:16 PM

I am glad Humberto is benifitting someone. Hope it is a good, slow, soaking rain instead of a flash flood that will just run off.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:53 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,769,492 times
Humberto looks like "just what the doctor ordered" for the areas it's heading into. All in a severe-drought area. Nice!

I'm surprised that people were surprised by this storm. Yesterday morning I was looking at the weather radar and there was an obvious counter-clockwise circulation forming before anyone was talking about it on TV. I'm not saying this to boast, but rather to point out that we can look at Doppler radar and make our own predictions. We're at the peak of hurricane season, the Gulf water is very warm, there was a stalled-out front over the gulf (a common source of tropical storms and hurricanes) and there was an obvious blow-up of thunderstorms over the Gulf with obvious low-pressure forming.

Duh!

Old 09-13-2007, 03:56 PM

Not everyone is as weather savvy or bothers to look for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather